• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,578
  • Total Topics: 2,737
  • Online today: 433
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 334
Total: 334
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 04:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Weird real-life Deryni rapport

Started by Evie, December 11, 2013, 03:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

OK, so last night my hubby and I were visiting a nearby barony's SCA meeting to learn about glass etching, and at one point, I started to hum a bit under my breath.  He looked at me oddly and started to laugh.  "That's funny, that's exactly the song I was just thinking of!" he said.  Mind, there was no background music playing, nor was the conversation going on around us in any way related to the tune that popped into my head, which might have helped to explain the coincidence.  But coincidences happen, so I didn't think anything about it.

Fast forward to an hour or so later.  Hubby and I were on our way home, and talking about something or another--I have no idea what it was now--but something about the rhythm and cadence of one of his sentences suddenly struck me as having the same rhythm to the opening lines of "Camptown Ladies."  ("The Camptown ladies sing this song...doo dah...doo dah....")  So I started humming that tune under my breath.  That time, he looked at me rather oddly, then said, "OK, now that's really weird; I just had that song pop into my mind too just before you started humming it!")

So today I stopped by his office while on a work errand in his building, and while I was there, I was filling him in on my physical therapy appointment that I had earlier today.  And as I was talking about it, I began to notice this strange bitter, almost medicinal taste in the back of my mouth, something like the sort of bitter taste you sometimes get when you use medicinal eyedrops or nasal sprays, except that I haven't taken either of those types of meds lately.   So I figured it had to be some side effect of the medicinal patch I'm wearing on my shoulder right now, even though I hadn't had that side effect to this patch before, and I couldn't figure out why a patch med on my shoulder would be giving me a bitter taste in my mouth.  Still, human anatomy is a strange and wondrous thing, so I figured maybe that was possible.

I mentioned the odd phenomenon to my husband, who looked nonplussed for a moment and then said, "Is it a sort of bitter, almost metallic sort of taste?"  (I had just told him it was an "odd taste.")  I said yes, and he got up, walked over to where he keeps his coffee supplies, and handed me a bottle of sweetener.  "I just started using this sweetener, but it has that aftertaste that I don't like, so I don't think I'm going to use it anymore.  But I just had a cup of coffee a short while ago, and I can still taste that aftertaste."

So now I'm back at work.  And the weird taste is gone, so I don't think it's from the medicinal patch.  *Cue Twilight Zone music*  Maybe my husband's a real world Deryni?  Now if only he had one of the more useful gifts like Healing, or even using telekinesis to help me with the housework!   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

There are more things in Heaven and earth, Horatio...  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DesertRose

BTW, gee thanks.  Now I've got that freaking Camptown Races song in my head.  Off to Clementine (music player program) to find something else to occupy the music section of my brain.  :P
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on December 11, 2013, 04:57:18 PM
BTW, gee thanks.  Now I've got that freaking Camptown Races song in my head.  Off to Clementine (music player program) to find something else to occupy the music section of my brain.  :P

Oh my darlin', oh my darlin', oh my darling Clementine....

There, does that help?   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

You know, you can be a real smart aleck when you put your mind to it.  :P

No, I'm doing a combination of things that I'm probably the only person on the planet who does: playing a point-and-click browser game that doesn't require much active attention, cross stitching my DD's Christmas present, and listening to Metallica.  :)

Evie

Quote from: DesertRose on December 11, 2013, 05:30:20 PM

No effort required, actually.  It just comes naturally.   ;)

Last night I was making a miniature inkwell and quill pens for Evaine and a belt for someone else (maybe Jashana?) while attending a glass etching class and humming "The Camptown Ladies sing this song, doo dah, doo dah...."  Oops, sorry, did I set your earworm off again?

* Evie runs fleeing for her life from DR   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Nope, no earworm while the rock playlist is going.  My brain requires only one jukebox at a time.  I can't sing a song (even in my head) with opposing music playing.

*jams out to Blaqk Audio now*

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on December 11, 2013, 05:34:47 PM

Last night I was making a miniature inkwell and quill pens for Evaine and a belt for someone else (maybe Jashana?) while attending a glass etching class and humming "The Camptown Ladies sing this song, doo dah, doo dah...."  Oops, sorry, did I set your earworm off again?

Hey DR, YOU move in from that side, and I'll move in from this side...Dag nab it, Evie! Now you've got Camptown Races (that's the version I know, same tune) AND Clementine stuck in my head at the SAME TIME!!!

There's only ONE way to exact my revenge:

On the First Day of Christmas, my True love gave to me, etc etc
Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Quote from: Shiral on December 11, 2013, 05:40:58 PM

Hey DR, YOU move in from that side, and I'll move in from this side...Dag nab it, Evie! Now you've got Camptown Races (that's the version I know, same tune) AND Clementine stuck in my head at the SAME TIME!!!

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

Melissa

This is the song that never ends, and it goes on and on my friends
Some people started singing it not knowing what it was
and they'll continue singing it forever just because
this is the song that never ends....   ad infinitum ad nauseam

--WARNING!!!--

DesertRose

Sometimes I really wonder about us (the denizens of RhemuthCastle.com).  Somehow we got from real-world rapport to earworms from Hell.  :D

Only us.  :)

Laurna

ROFL to all of you!

OMG! where is my stereo remote, I can't get away from Camptown Races... doo dah doo dah 

AACK!
May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on December 11, 2013, 05:44:00 PM
Quote from: Shiral on December 11, 2013, 05:40:58 PM

Bwahahahahahahaha!!!

Melissa

Now that is dirty Pool, Evie!
I'm going to see if I can  implant a craving for bitter, mushy brussels sprouts  in your DH's Mind...followed up with coffee with artificial metallic-tasting sweetener!

Come, they told me, Pa-rum-pumpum puuummmmmm
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

We ain't right in th' heid, none of us are!   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

Aerlys

Quote from: Evie on December 11, 2013, 05:44:00 PM

Gaahh! Drat my busy day. Evie beat me to it!

I don't think it's all that weird, Evie. You have been married a while!  As G.K. Chesterton said, 'Truth is stranger than fiction because we create fiction to suit our fancy."

I had a friend from college with whom I shared a strange rapport. Without fail, every time he crossed my mind, he'd call (within minutes) and vice-versa. And it wasn't like we were romantically involved or anything. Of course, once we were both married and started families, there was too much static on that psychic connection. Heh, he was a KK fan, too. Wouldn't be surprised if he lurks here sometimes (that would be you, Uncle Ardak!).

(OK, if I hear from him in the next few minutes, I'll report in.)

"There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza, dear Liza.
  There's a hole in the bucket, dear Liza a hole...."

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Aerlys

BTW, Evie, it's good to see you are still able to channel some creative energy!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc