• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 225
Total: 226
Gilreth
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 12:57:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Choral Christmas-y Stuff

Started by DesertRose, December 15, 2012, 01:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

So, I sing in a community chorus, and we gave our Christmas concert last night.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3oKdoz7u5WPq69KZjDX4SfChFZinZFUs  Here is a link to a YouTube playlist I made of our performance.  Two songs are missing, and I'm not too sure what happened to them; they were "Away in a Manger" and "Silent Night."  (I think "Silent Night" may not have videoed so well, because we dimmed the lights and lit candles.)  I'm the third from the left in the first row, and I had two very brief solos in the last song on the playlist, that go "The stump of a little old pipe he held tight in his teeth" and "Like a bowl full of jelly."

Some of the music is serious, some of it is silly, and some of it is just plain fun!  Enjoy, and happy holidays, whatever you celebrate this time of year!  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

Lovely performance, DR.  Thanks for sharing!  :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

One of my Christmas songbooks has the original version of 'Silent Night.'  It is a waltz.

Not surprising, Gruber was an Austrian and a contemporary of Schubert.

Which tune did you use for "Away in a Manger"?

DesertRose

Thank you, Jerusha!  :)

Elkhound, my choral director got the brainwave to use both tunes for "Away in a Manger."  We sang verse 1 twice, once with each tune, and then alternated for verses 2 and 3.  That was a singalong, and the congregation kind of looked at him funny when he asked them to do that.  We had practiced it that way, so we were prepared to jump back and forth.  Fortunately, in the hymnals that church uses, both tunes are in the key of F, so it was easy to jump between the tunes.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)