• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Jerusha

October 20, 2024, 03:22:24 PM
Due to a previous commitment, I might not make it to chat tonight.  Give my best to KK, though.
Members
  • Total Members: 171
  • Latest: Geo
Stats
  • Total Posts: 29,382
  • Total Topics: 2,812
  • Online today: 70
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 22
Total: 22
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

October 24, 2024, 10:41:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Heraldry in the Codex

Started by Frère de Saint-Gabriel, June 07, 2024, 07:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

I subscribed to CoaMaker today so that I could play around with some of the heraldry mentioned in the Codex. My favorite creation thus far is the coat of arms (at least the shield) of the Principality of Orsal and Tralia: sea green, a morse rampant argent.

I might post a few others in coming days.
Our help is in the Name of the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 124:6, New Coverdale Psalter)

DoctorM

Do post more. I always love a good crest or banner!

tmcd

The shield is the coat of arms. All the fru-fru added together with it is an achievement of arms.

Does that program place and size things itself, or do you do it, or what?

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

Sizing and placement are controlled by the user, though there are some program helps.
Our help is in the Name of the LORD, the maker of heaven and earth. (Psalm 124:6, New Coverdale Psalter)

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

The Codex describes or partially describes only a few coats of arms. I've attempted to reproduce some of these as possible (Haldane, Duchy of Corwyn, Orsal and Tralia, a few others). In other cases, I've drawn on the history of the domain or its culture or its legendarium, as is typically the case with real world heraldry.

The following include my first attempts at:

1) the Duchy of Corwyn (sable, a gryphon segreant vert within a double tressure flory-counter-flory or);

2) the Duchy of Alver (described only as featuring "a green frog rampant");

3) the Principality of Autun.

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

A few more:

1) the Kingdom of Bremagne;

2) the Kingdom of Fallon;

3) the Sovereign County of Fianna.

The similarities of these three are owing to their common history.

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

And a few more:

1) the Principality of Jáca;

2) the Principality of Andelon;

3) the Sovereign Principality and Emirate of Nur Hallaj.

Evie will notice that I'm supporting her association of Andelon with Andalusia. I also make a slight nod in the direction of the arms of the Principality of Andorra, because Andelon has a sort of Pyrenean feel as well.

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

And finally (for now), the Grand Duchy of Jandrich. You can see what I took to be hints at possible heraldry from the Codex entry for the duchy. The bear is a bit of northern lagniappe.

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

An alternative CoA for the Kingdom of Fallon, restoring the fleur-de-lis on the bend instead of crosses bottony.

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

Two alternative CoA for Nur Hallaj. Alternate 1 is actually the original form that I created; alternate 2 makes clear that the emirs of Nur Hallaj are Christian. Perhaps the first form that I posted is the original under the first three emirs, and when Hafiz (Jabez) converted, he altered the arms by substituting crosses fleury for the crescents.

Bynw

President/Founder of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

These are great! What are the blazons for these?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

Sister, I'm the merest amateur when it comes to heraldry. I know only enough to follow basic rules and have only enough vocabulary and knowledge of the conventions to describe the simplest blazons.

I'll give the ones that (I think) I know. Those with an asterisk indicate blazons in the Codex. Sometimes a description is given (Orsal and Tralia, Alver) without its being a true blazon.

Orsal and Tralia: sea green, a morse rampant argent

*Corwyn: sable, a gryphon segreant vert within a double tressure flory-counter-flory or

Alver: or, a frog rampant vert (CD only generally describes)

Below are two more CoA that I've created, one from a blazon given in the Codex and the other generally described:

*Duchy/House of Haldane: gules, a lion [or leopard] rampant gardant or

Principality of Meara: azure bend argent, a dancing bear sable and estoilles gules (CD only generally describes, and I've taken creative liberties)

I leave it to other folks with far more knowledge of and experience with heraldry to give blazons to the coats of arms that I've created whole cloth.

Evie

What is that main charge in the Andelonian arms? Is that a pomegranate?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Frère de Saint-Gabriel

Good eye! Yes, it's a pomegranate, chosen because it is the charge on the arms of the kingdom of Granada. It also forms the base of the CoA of the kingdom of Spain, whose CoA includes as quarters and the base all the kingdoms that merged into the Crown of Spain (Leon, Castile, Aragon, Navarre, and Granada—Galicia's chalice gets left out, alas).

I've always liked the pomegranate charge, so I thought I'd narrow Andalusia down to Granada, the last Muslim kingdom in Western Europe. (Though Andelon is Christian.) I like to think that pomegranates grow in the principality.

Because there is something Pyrenean about Andelon (and Jaca) as well, I added the bull gules at the base of the shield as a nod to the arms of the RW principality of Andorra.

The main charge's description in the blazon would be (I think): a pomegranate proper seeded gules, supported, sculpted and leafed in six leaves vert.

Given the description of the principality in the Codex, a far more fanciful CoA could probably be created!