• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,578
  • Total Topics: 2,737
  • Online today: 437
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 365
Total: 365
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 09:09:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Somewhere in Gwynedd

Started by Bynw, April 02, 2024, 11:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

"We have sat idle too long and have done nothing while the Deryni menace continues to grow unchecked."

"We should have stamped it long ago when Cinhil's sons were yet babes. But now the entire Haldane line is suspect."

"The Deryni taint is everywhere in Rhemuth, and even worse, it has filled the Church with it's wickedness."

"Saint Loris was right. A Human needs to be raised up as King in Gwynedd. And the Church needs to be freed of this blasphemous evil that corrupts it from within."

Several men in black cassocks continue to listen to one dressed in Ecclesiastical purple spit out venomous condemnations of the Deryni.

"They no longer use our wine for ordinations. And it has become difficult to incorporate into the storehouses of the cathedrals. When they find it. They pour it out and use their own. Blasphemy! Blasphemy of the highest order."

"At least no Deryni spy will ever become a Custodes, our sacramental wine will continue to ensure that fact."

"But we must act. God has given us this charge and we have failed Him. We must repent of our failures and act before it is too late to save Gwynedd."

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Jerusha

SAINT LORIS?  :o

This must be an alternate universe!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

Quote from: Jerusha on April 02, 2024, 12:14:47 PMSAINT LORIS?  :o

This must be an alternate universe!

No. Same universe as the rest of Ghosts of the Past. A martyred Bishop is always a good choice for a Saint.

Teee heee

DerynifanK

If Loris was a saint, Attilla the Hun was an angel. Definitely not in favor of return of the custodes to power
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

Clearly one group of shadowy, suspicious characters is not enough for Bynw.

From one perspective, though, I can see why Loris might be regarded as a saint, killed for protecting the purity of the church. 
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Saint Loris!? 
NO NO NO
May your horses have wings and fly!

Laurna

Which of these two Epilogue stories was I suppose to read first. For in some way, they must be connected.

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on April 03, 2024, 12:11:33 AMWhich of these two Epilogue stories was I suppose to read first. For in some way, they must be connected.

I would say this one first. And yes they will eventually get all entangled together. It will be great fun.

Bynw

Quote from: revanne on April 03, 2024, 12:07:32 AMClearly one group of shadowy, suspicious characters is not enough for Bynw.

From one perspective, though, I can see why Loris might be regarded as a saint, killed for protecting the purity of the church.

I could probably come up with more. This group though I've been kicking around in my mind for some time. Even before GotP was played out. There just wasn't room for them to peak out of the darkness yet.

See you can think in a devious way. :)

revanne

Weirdly I had been pondering a story told from the PoV of Loris.
And you are doing your best to convince me that Deryni are not to be trusted.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Revanne, don't turn on us now!  Please, we need you.

Jerusha

Bynw so enjoys messing with our minds. We will steer the straight course!  (Well OK, we may deviate just a tad from time to time....)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DoctorM

This could be very, very interesting.

Demercia

Who are you and what have you done with my sister???😱
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

revanne

I am not turning to the dark side!!

However, unlike Hubert who I think was straightforwardly evil, there are things that can be said from Loris's PoV.

He had been conditioned from earliest youth to believe that Deryni and their magic were manifestations of the devil; he would have believed that the devil could masquerade as an angel of light, so kindly or apparently "good" Deryni were simply traps to fool the unwary. He watches his King, Brion, be tricked into using unholy magic to defeat the Marluk,  an action which leaves him in thrall to the evil influence of Alaric Morgan. 

When Brion dies, thanks to the godly Queen Jehana, there seems a chance to rescue the young King Kelson from evil counsel, but this fails at the last minute  and the travesty of a coronation reveals the extent to which the kingdom has been corrupted. 

Fighting courageously on, despite the apparent victory of evil, and being willing to use what tools God gives into his hands, Loris is at last summarily executed, a martyr on behalf of defenceless humanity.

This I'm sure is the story Loris told himself. 
(Psalm 46 v1)