• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 78
Total: 78
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 05:50:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Pleased to meet you

Started by Marc_du_Temple, November 17, 2023, 08:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc_du_Temple

A little over a year ago, I found a copy of The Temple and The Crown in a thrift store and have been working on completing the secret history collection since starting at the end of the Templar saga, and now working back from the beginning. As a student of history and a docent, I was absolutely floored by the sincerity, action, and above all else, the research. I hope to add to the fun in this fan club!
"We're the masters of chant.
We are brothers in arms.
For we don't give up,
Till 'time has come.
Will you guide us God?
We are singing as one.
We are masters of chant." -Gregorian

Evie

Welcome! I know I've read that book before, but it's been years. I remember enjoying it, though. I love how Katherine achieves her blend of history (or at least historically inspired worldbuilding, in the case of the Deryni series I'm more familiar with) and fantasy elements so they work well together.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Marc_du_Temple

Thank you for your welcome. And yes, even in the one book and the anthologies I have read so far, Katherine Kurtz and her friends are great at taking just the right leap from primary sources and legends into something more. Small spoiler, but at one point in Temple & Crown, you may recall that Loch Ness monster-type creatures show up. I was suspending my disbelief, although it seemed to come out of left field. Then I did a quick internet search and found that the first report of such creatures came from Saint Columba, whose monks are allies of the Templars in the story. Not so much of a stretch if you trust the word of a saint. And the part where Arnault went through a trial in the desert. . . chills.
We are brothers in arms.
For we don't give up,
Till 'time has come.
Will you guide us God?
We are singing as one.

Laurna

Marc, welcome to the castle. I love that you bring interest in stories I have not yet read. You are giving me a good reason to pick them up and read them. And the mention of a Loch Ness monster-like  is all the more enticing to give those stories a reading. Enjoy your time at the castle.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Nezz

Hi Marc, happy to make your acquaintance! I hope you find some fun stuff here on the forum and enjoy your stay. :) Discord chats with Katherine are on Sundays at 7:00 EST/4:00 PST if you'd like to say hi. :)

JudithR

Also
Quote from: Marc_du_Temple on November 17, 2023, 11:14:13 AMSmall spoiler, but at one point in Temple & Crown, you may recall that Loch Ness monster-type creatures show up. I was suspending my disbelief, although it seemed to come out of left field. Then I did a quick internet search and found that the first report of such creatures came from Saint Columba,
Nessie also turns up in The Adept series.
"Judith may be found browsing in these dubious volumes" (9 letters)

Jerusha

Welcome to the castle, Marc!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Marc_du_Temple

Quote from: JudithR on November 17, 2023, 12:15:26 PMAlso
Quote from: Marc_du_Temple on November 17, 2023, 11:14:13 AMSmall spoiler, but at one point in Temple & Crown, you may recall that Loch Ness monster-type creatures show up. I was suspending my disbelief, although it seemed to come out of left field. Then I did a quick internet search and found that the first report of such creatures came from Saint Columba,
Nessie also turns up in The Adept series.

Now I must read those even sooner!
We are brothers in arms.
For we don't give up,
Till 'time has come.
Will you guide us God?
We are singing as one.

Bynw

Hi Marc

Here are some posts that new members might miss. And it's understandable as there is a LOT on the forum. It would take a long time to read every post and search through random keywords trying to find if such a thing exists or not.

#1 - We have a weekly text based chat with Katherine on Sunday evenings at 7pm ET this is held in our IRC channel #Deryni_Destinations on the Communiti Chat IRC Network. There is a link to a couple of web based chat options in the Chat and other Communications board.

This chat is mirrored over to our Discord server as well. There is a link on the side-bar to invite yourself to the Discord server.

#2 - We have a monthly Zoom chat with Katherine on the 1st Sunday of every month at 3pm ET.

#3 - We have an official bookmark. See the following post about it:
https://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,2899.0.html

#4 - We have a vanity email options available with the @rhemuthcastle.com domain. These are not automatic and must be requested. The details are posted here:
https://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,2408.0.html

#5 - We have a gallery. To add pics of yourself or pets or whatever. Check it out.

#6 - We have a feature to use @membername to mention another member. It's very handy in posts.

#7 - You can save a draft of a post before actually posting it. Make sure you post it within 14 days otherwise the draft will be deleted.

I could go on and on about various aspects of the forum community. Like I said above. There is a LOT here. Enjoy your stay at the Castle.

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

JudithR

And as a bit of a spoiler the Dun Sidhe, a banshee and the Fairy Flag of the Mcleods also appear
"Judith may be found browsing in these dubious volumes" (9 letters)

DerynifanK

Welcome Marc. So much to see and do in the castle and wonderful people to meet. Hope you enjoy your time here. DFK
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DoctorM

Marc-- welcome aboard! This is a fun place with some very witty, kind, and knowledgeable people. Enjoy!

Salic

Welcome to the Castle, Marc.  There is a lot to do hereabouts, and I wish you the best!  There is much going on concerning KK here!   :)