• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77
Google
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 04:50:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Afternoon All

Started by JudithR, October 12, 2023, 08:41:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JudithR

Finally, finally registered.  Can't remember when I first read the books - sometime in the 1970s though I do remember taking Chronicles of the Deryni with me to a conference in the early 80s so I had something to read on the 'plane.

Now retired, I was a "lab rat" who grew germs.  I was born in the NE of England and brought up in the NW (Carlisle which isn't in Domesday as it was in Scotland at the time). 

Travelled south over the years ending up with a London PhD while working full time.

I have many, many questions about Worlds -all will keep.
"Judith may be found browsing in these dubious volumes" (9 letters)

Evie

Welcome to the Castle! We have a few other members from your side of the Pond, so you may see them in here from time to time or popping into our chatroom on occasion. Our chatroom can be accessed via either IRC or Discord, and there are instructions elsewhere on the forum for how to access either. There is also a weekly chat with KK in that chatroom, which is fairly late at night in the UK timezone (though maybe not too late if you are a night owl), but we also have a Zoom chat the first Sunday of most months which would be sometime in the early evening for you. (Around 8:00 pm for you, I think, though I'm lousy at calculating that sort of thing, so others who actually live there might want to weigh in.)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

Hi @JudithR

And welcome to RhemuthCastle.

Ask your questions. We love conversations.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

Hello JudithR,
Isn't being a retiree wonderful, you now have time to explore worlds other than work.

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle. We are friendly residents and love it when new people come wandering through our door. Especially when they talk about our favorite land.
Have a cup of tea and stay for a while.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Nezz

Welcome to our little family, Judith. We love new people and we love questions and we adore people who live in the land of castles! (Well, I do, at any rate...) :)

Jerusha

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle! 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Shiral

Welcome to Rhemuth Castle, Judith R! We're a friendly group and we enjoy meeting new members. Just be on the look out  for the Moat Monster when you cross the drawbridge. 😉 (He's pretty harmless, anyway.)
Melissa/Shiral.
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

DoctorM

Welcome aboard! Good to have you here! The people are fun, the humor is dry and clever, the fanfic is well written, and the topics range all over the place! I think you'll like it here!

JudithR

Being a retiree has left me busier than when I was gainfully employed. Being too old for Ordained Ministry, I trained as a Reader (Lay Minister) in the CofE.  Had I been able to string two words together, I wouldn't have read sciences in the first place...

From writing sermons good Lord deliver us.

Evie

Quote from: JudithR on October 13, 2023, 11:25:21 AMBeing a retiree has left me busier than when I was gainfully employed. Being too old for Ordained Ministry, I trained as a Reader (Lay Minister) in the CofE.  Had I been able to string two words together, I wouldn't have read sciences in the first place...

From writing sermons good Lord deliver us.

Oh, you'll definitely need to get acquainted with Revanne and Demercia then...our two resident CoE priests, as well as identical twin sisters. So we get two Royal Chaplains for the price of one around here.  ;) Revanne served as a sounding board for me when I was writing Balance of Power, both to help ensure my "loosely based on a UK-ish kingdom" Gwynedd wasn't too America-like and also to help me out with questions based on church-specific stuff (like a minimum age Devlin was likely to have been ordained so I could estimate how long he had been married and then widowed in order to get him into the age range I wanted him in, or who would need to be contacted to arrange for his secondment to the Queen, or what the word "secondment" even means since that's not a word I've ever heard on this side of The Pond!  ;D )
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DerynifanK

Welcome Judith R. This is a really friendly and fun group where you can meet new people and learn lots of new things, at least I have. Hope you will join us for chat where we discuss all kinds of things from Katherine's books to medieval history to cats and tea(Two favorite topics) and many others. Hope to se you there soon.
Derynifank (DFK)
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Demercia

Hello Judith R.  This is a lovely place to be, though due to writing sermons and other similar I tend to just lurk rather more than I would like.  As you will know from Evie, I'm our side of the Pond, just the English side of the Welsh border. I'm a C of E priest and also Anglo-Catholic.
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

revanne

Welcome Judith,

The castle is a lovely place to be. 

I currently live in a place of many castles aka the border between south Wales and England. I'm actually living on the edge of the Forest of Dean, though to my sorrow I have yet to find the sword of Gryffindor or see a white patronus doe.

I'm technically retired from Parish ministry but keeping busy! 

Anyway welcome again, everyone here is truly encouraging and friendly.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Salic

Welcome to the Castle, Judith.
Good that you are here!
I hope that you have a wonderful time with us all . . .   :)

JudithR

For Locheil.  Took my niece to see the Royal Chapel of the Savoy today and found this:

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMhlMke9HBIlUrErSkilHka6PCR6Imu_KRpfa5v