• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 204
Total: 205
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 03:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How was Kevin's death connected to the Deryni issue?

Started by Liesel, September 11, 2022, 09:08:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liesel

In Deryni checkmate, shortly after Alaric Morgan learns of the deaths of Kevin and Bronwyn, Alaric says:

QuoteAnd Kevin -- he wasn't even Deryni, yet he died too. All because of this senseless hatred, this differentness.

Kevin died because Rimmel was infatuated with Bronwyn and got Bethane the shepherdess to make some kind of magic charm for him, which backfired and killed Kevin and Bronwyn.

What did this have to do with hatred/persecution of Deryni?

DoctorM

Hmmm... I'd say that because so much of Deryni-ness was driven into the shadows and mythologized, Rimmel believed that magic was the solution to his problem. He believed that and was willing to pin his hopes on some dangerous kind of charm that neither he nor Bethane understood.

ReikiDeryni

I think it had more to do with the blind sorrow filled vengeance of Kevin's father, than anything else. Also, am I the only one who believe that Bethane was a descendent of one of the blocked Deryni. I've believed that since reading The Heirs of Saint Camber trilogy.

Kareina

Quote from: reiki deryni on September 11, 2022, 05:34:41 PMAlso, am I the only one who believe that Bethane was a descendent of one of the blocked Deryni. I've believed that since reading The Heirs of Saint Camber trilogy.

I remember reading a short story about how Barrett was blinded to save some Deryni children, and, if I remember correctly, a young Bethan and her husband (who certainly knew he was Deryni) appeared in that. I have vauge memories of the incident triggering a miscarriage, which might have contributed to her apparent madness by the time we meet her setting Alaric's arm.

Does anyone remember  any details from this story? What was it called, who wrote it, which issue of Deryni Archives it was published in?  How accurate is my memory of it?
--Kareina

DesertRose

The story is called "Bethane," and it's in the Deryni Archives book that is all KK-penned stories.  Bethane remembers that time in flashback; the main part of the story takes place when Alaric breaks his arm falling from a tree, and Bronwyn runs for help, having already shared her lunch with Bethane.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Liesel

Quote from: Kareina on September 12, 2022, 03:15:50 AMI remember reading a short story about how Barrett was blinded to save some Deryni children, and, if I remember correctly, a young Bethan and her husband (who certainly knew he was Deryni) appeared in that. I have vauge memories of the incident triggering a miscarriage, which might have contributed to her apparent madness by the time we meet her setting Alaric's arm.

Does anyone remember  any details from this story? What was it called, who wrote it, which issue of Deryni Archives it was published in?  How accurate is my memory of it?

Your memory is pretty accurate.  The story is in the anthology "The Deryni Archives".  It tells the story of when Alaric fell out of a tree and broke his arm, and Bethane set it (later, this was described from a different point of view, in "The King's Deryni").  It is told from Bethane's point of view, an a good portion of the story is a flashback; she is remembering the incident you describe. 

She was seventeen and expecting her first.  Her husband (Darrell) was Deryni.  Deryni had been teaching Deryni children secretly, but were betrayed.  The children were to be burned.  Lord Barrett De Laney exposed himself as Deryni and offered himself in exchange for the children.  His offer was accepted.  He was blinded with a hot poker.  Then Bethane's husband rescued him, but was himself killed (shot with arrows).  The child was stillborn.  The aftermath, described a bit later in the story:

QuoteAnd their own child, stillborn in the awful after-anguish following Darrell's death; and then, a long, long time that she lay sick and despondent at Saint Luke's, not caring if she lived or died, and something had snapped inside, never to be mended...

So....I think we can say more than, "which might have contributed to her apparent madness"; it seems to be clearly indicated in the text of the story, that it did indeed cause it or at least contribute to it.

ReikiDeryni

Spot on DesertRose, that is the short story I was referencing. It also explains why Alaric, well acts like Alaric.

Kareina

Quote from: DesertRose on September 12, 2022, 04:20:08 AMThe story is called "Bethane," and it's in the Deryni Archives book that is all KK-penned stories.  Bethane remembers that time in flashback; the main part of the story takes place when Alaric breaks his arm falling from a tree, and Bronwyn runs for help, having already shared her lunch with Bethane.

That would explain my confusion the other day. I remembered the story, grabbed my copy of Deryni archives, turned to the story called Bethane, saw that it was set in the time Alaric was a child, and assumed that there were two different stories I was remembering, and set it aside and finished typing.  Flashback within the story makes more sense than two different stories.
--Kareina

DerynifanK

One sad thought I had on reading this story some years ago. If Alyce had not put in her will a clause forbidding Bronwyn to marry until she was 25, she might have married Kevin earlier and this whole Rimmel episode would never have happened with its awful consequences. I'm sure her intention was to protect her daughter but it shows that trying to control the actions of others from beyond the grave can have really bad unintended consequences.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

DFK, I agree with you. In medieval times, refusing to let a girl marry until she is 18 maybe 20 should be considered protection enough from high up nobles using her marriage as political. At 25, short of living in a convent, I am amazed she and Kevin had not already enjoyed each other's company in a more private way. Kevin didn't really need her dowry, he could  have just wed her sooner. And Alaric should have let it happen.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

I've never really understood why Alyce would stipulate anything about Bronwyn's future marriage in her will, especially when Bronwyn was just a newborn infant when she died. I think the Alyce's will plot-line has  a lot to do with KK not having her whole universe figured out while writing the second novel of her very first trilogy. I do agree that Kevin should have shrugged and married Bronwyn anyway at an earlier, more convenient time. Given his love for them both, I believe Alaric would have said the Ducal equivalent of  "fine with me" and let the marriage proceed.
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Liesel

I've been thinking a lot about the question I asked above.  I'm thinking now that the answer may lie in Bethane's past.

As I quoted above, in the story, Bethane, when her husband was killed "something snapped inside, never to be mended". 

Her husband's death, and thus her partial madness, was definitely due to the Deryni persecutions.  If Darrell had lived, and she had remained sane, there would have been no "holy shepherdess" for Rimmell to turn to.

On the other hand, Alaric did not know this whole backstory.  He did know, however, that Darrell, her love, had been Deryni and died trying to save someone else Deryni, in the short exchange between the child Alaric and Bethane.

ReikiDeryni

Well, considering all magick in the Deryniverse is somehow connected to Deryniness, Bethane would have to be Deryni or a descendant of one of the blocked ones. This very possibility was discussed multiple times throughout the Heirs of Saint Camber trilogy.