• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 60
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
Facebook External hit (2)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 02:26:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Sweet Dreams

Started by Bynw, September 05, 2022, 01:16:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

As the dragon sleeps chains rise like creeping vines out of the ground shackling the beast's mighty form so it cannot move, even an inch, or cry out in alarm. The strong chains have bound it's great mouth, heavy claws, powerful wings, and even it's thrashing tail. Making the once powerful dragon only faded into memory. Cocooned in an ever increasing web of vine-like chains and misty fog.

Out of the mist the shadow comes until it takes the form of a man. One that Washburn knows all too well. The Scholar, the man known as Feyd.

"It told you that we would meet again Lord Washburn. And I am doing so at a terrible expense of time and energy to come to you here in this place. You have great gifts and you have power greater than you imagine. A marvelous future if you were to use those gifts and power for the betterment of all Deryni."

"Even while you were drugged you were able to gain insight from those scrolls that I initially believed to be gibberish. But I have spent some time looking over them. The originals, and I discovered the hidden meaning of the authors hand. Yet you discovered it even while your mind was fuddled."

"I will be sending you a gift. Another scholarly copy of course as the original is far more valuable. It is befitting of a Deryni Lord to have a library of esoteric texts. Not just the King of Gwynedd. But you are a Deryni Mage of such potential."

"These are the partial working notes of Louys Regnier Gaspard de Buyenne-Furstan, Lord of Joux. Few even know they exist let alone have seen them. Of the few who have read them, no one has understood them and some have gone mad trying to understand them."

The scholar wipes sweat from his brow and is visibly fatigued. "I must go. The cost of this contact is beginning to be too great but I will warn you there are those who will try to k....."

And just as it began the scholar fades into the mists and the mists are dispersed and the great dragon has burst loose from the chains and begins to roar as it runs towards where Washburn stands.

And then Washburn awakes in a cold sweat. Sitting up in his own bed.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Laurna

WOW! I fear I am speechless at this moment.

I did tremble when Washburn's great winged protector was cocooned in vine-like chains of mist. Our scholar displays a strong knowing power if he can encumber Washburn's protector in such fashion so that he can speak to him in his sleep. And what he has to say...  is not so easily shrugged off like a sweet dream might be.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Someone from a  distant branch of the Furstan family is Lord of Joux? Very interesting! 

I'm sure you knew messing with a dragon would definitely stir the pot with this group.  ;)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

Quote from: Jerusha on September 06, 2022, 12:05:44 PMSomeone from a  distant branch of the Furstan family is Lord of Joux? Very interesting! 

It's nothing new. House Buyenne-Furstan has ruled Joux since 931.

Laurna

Under a strong pair of hands lay a man wet and shivering. His patient was asleep, Lord Washburn had managed that much, yet he could not find the calm in his own mind to focus on Healing. This man needed to be healed, for he was now a local hero. ((Washburn attempts healing, Standard !roll 2d6: 4 & 4; Failure)) A late summer storm had crossed Gwynedd bringing rain and winds rolling down the Hidden Gwynedd Valley from the highlands above. A swift moving flood, filled with mud, rocks and tree trunks had washed through a set of farmsteads at the base of the valley. Everyone but one family had made it to higher ground. This man and the other man on the far cot, who was being tended to by Father Columcil, had rescued that family, even as the hut was swept away. It was past time that Washburn had this man healed. His wounds on his legs were not immediately life threatening, but gashes of open skin soaked in muddy water meant infection and fever if the cuts weren't thoroughly cleaned and healed over. Unable to find focus for his healing Talent, the lord of the Morgan Hospice turned to the teachings of Magistra Helena and the sisters of the Schola.

"I don't think these wounds are clean enough yet. Brother Jeb, let us get these muddy clothes off and bathe the man. The bleeding is stopped for now, so if we can get him clean, dry and warm, I think I will have a better chance of healing that wound."

"Yes, my lord." Jeb responded and waved over two of the Hospice boys.  Washburn stood up and stepped back to let them work.  He looked up and saw that Columcil was already in full healer's trance. He walked over to the priest and placed his hand on the priest's wrist. Instantly they were in shallow Rapport and Wash was sending energy through the link to help Columcil complete the healing of this second village hero.

After Columcil was assured that his efforts to heal were successful, he turned a concerned eye on his cousin. "Aur ye gonnae teel me whit is wrang? Ye hae bin distracted aw morn."

"It's nothing, Just had a bad dream, that's all." Wash lifted his hands away and shook off the mental image of the scholar standing before him, before the image might have leaked across to his friend. He turned away from Columcil's concerned gaze and sat back down next to the cot of his patient now dressed in a warm wool tunic. It should be an easy thing to heal the gash in the leg(( Healing focus, Standard !roll 2d6: 2 & 3 ; Failure)) but his attention was stolen by his page running into the room waving a cylindrical leather pouch in his hand. The boy dropped to his knee before the lord of the manor and held the pouch outward.

"Furgus, what is the meaning of this?"

"A man at the gates said this is for the Lord of Morgan manor and only for him. And I was to give it to you immediately." Washburn did not reach for the pouch; he only scowled at it as if to see through the leather to determine what lay within. Feeling magic binding the pouch, he knew what it held.

"Furgus, get that bloody thing away from me!" Washburn exclaimed. But when the boy visibly cowered from his lord's displeasure, Washburn relented. "Sorry lad, place the pouch over there on the table. I will take a look at it in a minute."  Proof that his dream was real, Wash gritted his teeth and turned back to his patient. No time yet to determine Feyd's motivation for sending him such a gift.   

Not taking any more chances of distraction, Washburn pulled out his dagger and held the ruby in the hilt before his eyes. He focused down and instantly felt the whoosh of sulfur laden wind wash over him and the dragon landed before him.

He was powerful and caught me unaware, the Dragon said in apology. It will not happen again.   

"Alaric's protection spell is strong, but Feyd has learned its weakness. It is not your fault, I will find a way to strengthen Father's spell. But for now, watch over me while I enter Healer's trance."

It is my duty,
the dragon said, letting loose a fiery breath. This time Washburn found his calm and beckoned his mind to a deep focus to Heal. ((Last try, Healing Standard 2d6 Roll: 5 & 1, Success)) The tingle of flesh becoming renewed and whole offered its own rewards of heaven's gift beneath Washburn's large hands. When he was certain the man would have no scar,  Morgan pulled his hand away and looked up to see Columcil standing over the table with the pouch lying there.

"Laddy, noo ur ye gonnae teel me abit thes?" Columcil could feel the magic emanating from the leather and concern for it showed on his face.

"Have you ever heard the name Louys Regnier Gaspard de Buyenne-Furstan, Lord of Joux. before? No? Well, neither have I." Washburn sighed heavily knowing he had been given a new burden, a burden that came with a dire warning. "I had better tell you about that damnable dream. Let us retire to the Solar."

When Columcil would have picked up the pouch, Wash waved him off. "Furgus, would you pick that back up and follow us back to my resident wing. That's a good lad."

DerynifanK

I was planning a story where Kelson proposes a trade with Feyd, his ward cubes for a copy of the healers scroll Wash deciphered while a prisoner. However, it appears that Feyd has already sent a copy to Wash. Wonder if it includes the blocking power. Also curious what  his eventual intent is. I don't see Wash joining the Black Order of Death or how that would benefit all Deryni. Very interesting.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

DFK, you can still write that story where Kelson has arranged to give Feyd his ward cubes for the scroll. Just write the Arrangement that Kelson made in past tense and then write a drop off of where the Ward cubes should be left in present tense. Maybe they are in hopes of catching Feyd at the exchange. But some how Feyd has managed to get the scroll to Washburn without Kelson's knowledge and he evades the kings men at the drop off point for the ward cubes. They just disappear.  :D

Bynw

This isn't the healers scroll though

DerynifanK

So now I am busy trying to figure out what it could be. An ancient book of spells maybe? Hmmm.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance