• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 78
Total: 79
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 12:22:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Ancient of Days

Started by DoctorM, December 30, 2021, 06:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorM

I don't have a copy of the Codex at hand, so I hope someone out there over the aether can help me...

Memory says that the Codex offers up a suggestion that there was a very early group (tribe?) called the Heldurni or Heldurnii who fought against a Byzantyuni occupation on what became Gwynedd.

Does anyone recall the approximate dates for them? Or the names of any other very, very early Deryni groups?

Thanks!

Laurna

Codex page 77  Deryni

... a race of men originated from the lost land of Caeriesse, which sank beneath the waves about the year 525,..... During the years of the Byzantyun occupation of Gwynnedd the Ruman chronicles of Prochorus mention a race of men living to the Northwest called the Heldurnii, their nation being termed Heldurnia (later Kheldour) These "Sea people" or "dark men" came from the West and settled along the coast of that rugged land before the year 200, but kept mostly to themselves, having little intercourse with their neighbors....The Heldurnii utterly destroyed III legions (of Byzantuyun in the year 253). ... (they are infrequently mentioned) until the VI century of the Christian Era, following the disappearance of Caeriesse. ... The early chronicles of Torenth also note a well-established Deryni colony, Bedouria, near Torenthaly.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DoctorM

Thank you, Laurna! Just what I was looking for! There was a small bit of info there that I need for my next story.

Merci!

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

DoctorM

DoctorM

Laurna-- sorry to bother you, but do you recall where Tiercel de Claron was from? I recall that he was titular prince of someplace, but not the name of the place.

Thanks!

Quote from: Laurna on December 30, 2021, 07:24:51 PM
Codex page 77  Deryni

... a race of men originated from the lost land of Caeriesse, which sank beneath the waves about the year 525,..... During the years of the Byzantyun occupation of Gwynnedd the Ruman chronicles of Prochorus mention a race of men living to the Northwest called the Heldurnii, their nation being termed Heldurnia (later Kheldour) These "Sea people" or "dark men" came from the West and settled along the coast of that rugged land before the year 200, but kept mostly to themselves, having little intercourse with their neighbors....The Heldurnii utterly destroyed III legions (of Byzantuyun in the year 253). ... (they are infrequently mentioned) until the VI century of the Christian Era, following the disappearance of Caeriesse. ... The early chronicles of Torenth also note a well-established Deryni colony, Bedouria, near Torenthaly.

DerynifanK

I was looking in my codex too but Laurna beat me to it. It also says that these dark men came from the west and settled along the coast of the rugged land but kept mostly to themselves.  The one attempt by the Byzantyun Empire to move north of the Eirian river from Gwynedd in 253 met with disaster when the Heldurni totally destroyed their legions. Just a little more info. Looking forward to your next story Is it part of the current one or a new one? A Codex is really helpful if you have one. I use mine all the time when writing.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DoctorM

The next chapter will be in the same arc as "Doors and Corners".

I do need to get a Codex. So many of my books got packed up and put into storage the last time I moved!

Right now I'm trying to figure out where Tiercel de Claron was from. I recall that he was "titular prince" someplace, but not where. His home or his actual title may be important here.

DerynifanK

My Codex only says his ancestral home was Claronette but gives no further information.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DoctorM

Thanks!

Quote from: DerynifanK on December 31, 2021, 10:30:27 AM
My Codex only says his ancestral home was Claronette but gives no further information.