• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 212
Total: 212
Facebook External hit
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 03:38:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Michaelmas Fancies - the Baker's Tale

Started by revanne, October 24, 2021, 09:08:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

My apologies for the delay in continuing with this tale but Master Padraig insisted that if he were to play a part he needed to be introduced.

Born in Pardiac in the Connait, Padraig had followed his father's trade, as did most young lads. It was given, though, to few young men to gain the notice of the royal court. Barely had Padraig gained acceptance as a Master into the town's guild of Bakers, when he received an invitation that no sane man refused and he found himself working alongside Prince Pons' royal baker. He never despised the breads and roasts of everyday fare, but his real delight lay in pastries and the creation of intricate subtleties. Had a particular fact about his heritage been known his skill might have been put down to the dark arts but he never used his powers to enhance his creations. Not then.

Out in the west of the Eleven Kingdoms, hostility to Deryni had never been as intense as it was in Gwynedd, but Padraig, no more than his forebears, saw no sense in inviting trouble to the feast. His God-given human talent provided all a man could need in the way of fortune and standing within his community. It was ironic that it was the machinations of men to the north who both hated and despised Deryni, which propelled Padraig into a course in which he developed and used his more arcane talents.

Royal service, and the restrictions of his albeit privileged life within the castle, made marriage unlikely but he held himself more than compensated by the many children of the populous community. These had learnt that while the kitchen itself was strictly out of bounds, Master Padraig was often to be found enjoying a breath of air out in the gardens, and if approached then, he would always seem to have a pastry or sweetmeat which needed eating lest it go to waste.

The gentle Janniver was a particular favourite of his and he had watched her grow from sweet childhood into gracious young womanhood. It was a pity that he would not be able to indulge her children as he had her, but to leave home was the lot of most women and especially those of royal rank. Gracious as always, she had come to pay an affectionate farewell to Padraig, and it was with real sadness that he watched her go. But it was not his place to say anything. It was not his place, either, to express his disgust at her rejection by father and betrothed, following her rape at the hands of Ithel, but he did so anyway. Then he bought himself a place on a trading ship headed for the Forcinn and made his slow way down to Andelon, whence came many of the fruits and spices he used in his most prized delicacies.

He took with him a letter of introduction to the bakers' guild in Andelon and he would have been prepared to work in a small way, content simply to earn his living. But word soon reached sovereign princess Sofiana of this man who could bake delicacies fit for the angels and, once again, Padraig found himself plying his craft within a palace. In Andelon men did not fear the use of their powers and Padraig learnt how to enhance the beauty and delicacy of his creations. He scorned to improve taste by magic, for he held that would have shown up the poverty of his craftsmanship. Manipulating the finest of strands of spun sugar into the most intricate of shapes, or giving to subtleties the illusion of movement for those with  eyes to see, that was a different matter.

He liked Andelon; the freedom to bring his Deryni powers to enhance his craft was a new and welcomed experience, but above all he appreciated the weather. That one could plan for an outdoor feast, and not have one's finest creation drowned in a downpour of rain or ripped to shreds by an unseasonable gale, was something for which to be devoutly thankful. It was likely that Padraig would have happily spent the rest of his life working within Sofiana's palace, had nor the latter's niece, Richenda, come to visit. The ostensible purpose of her visit was to consult certain manuscripts in Sofiana's library, but there was another less overt and perhaps less honourable reason. And for that Kelson's Queen Araxie, was responsible.

Some six years into her marriage, secure in the love of her husband and his kingdom, both for herself and by reason of the heir she had promptly produced, and with the confidence to now make changes, she determined that she would tolerate the plentiful but limited foods offered to the royal household no longer. Cautious questioning of the oldest amongst that household had revealed that when Jehana had come as a royal bride from Bremagne she had brought with her some more exotic styles of preparing and eating food. She had also brought new and hitherto unknown foodstuffs native to that more southerly clime. But when Jehana had retreated into a life of austerity and penance such delicacies had vanished. Brion had not cared. He was a hunter, and as long as there was meat aplenty on his table, he was content. Meraude, on whom much of the running of the royal household had devolved, had had more than enough to do, besides which she did not have the authority to make real changes. Now with the prosperity that peace was bringing, there was no reason for Araxie not to take steps, if only the right person to take charge of the royal kitchens could be found.

It was the austere Bishop Arilan who unknowingly gave the answer. Austere he undoubtedly was, but outside of fast days he had a proper appreciation of God's bounty. In a rare expansive mood he had waxed lyrical about the dainties that the sovereign princess of Andelo had brought with her to a meeting which both she and Arilan had attended. It was unusual for Deryni to remain working in a kitchen, even a palace kitchen, and Sofiana had not been able to resist a little boasting. Kelson shot his wife a knowing look, but both knew better than to mention the words "Camberian Council" in Arilan's presence. Both expressed polite interest, but allowed the subject to drop, Kelson having other, to his mind more important, things to think about, and Araxie to follow her own train of thought. Richenda was Sofiana's niece was she not? When might she next be visiting her aunt?

"Richenda, you must try to lure him away, offer whatever he asks."

Richenda smiled at the woman who had so quickly become her friend. "Unto half your kingdom?" She teased.

"I was thinking more of his own kingdom within the palace kitchens. Kelson won't begrudge him that, and even he has begun to tire of fifty ways of serving roast meat."

"And Sofiana's reaction when we steal her favourite baker?"

"The man is free to go where he chooses" - even as she said this Araxie admitted to herself that his choice might well be just as likely to remain in Andelon - "She can regard it as an act of Christian charity to a neighbour in need."

And so Padraig was lured to Gwynedd in despite of the weather. The offer of complete charge of the kitchens of Rhemuth Castle was just too great to resist. Andelon had stretched his skill and ignited his ambition, and, somewhat to his own surprise, he realised he would relish the challenge.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Oh and what a challenge that shall be!  DELICIOUS!
I love the thought of the illusion of movement on a favorite desert. (Though you had me worried about the dark arts, Just so long as the food is real and not totally illusioned. Fortunately I believe Kelson would know. )
I look forward to Master Padraig's Delicacies.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Fascinating background for a master chef, with so many interesting characters involved.  I would hope though, that the sweetmeat I was savoring would not appear to be slithering off of my trencher!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DoctorM

Shiral

Loved your story, Anne! Looking forward to the next installment. Although I know at present you have rather a full plate to deal with, so I will try to be  patient.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

revanne

Quote from: DoctorM on October 24, 2021, 02:17:35 PM
Very nicely done!

I'm sure Charissa and Christian would have enjoyed sophisticated fare when opportunity permitted.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

I love  this Revanne. I can hardly wait to see what happens in the kitchen when he takes charge. And who next will try to lure him away? Would it be possible that we would come full circle and he would somehow end up with Janniver and Jatham?
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance