• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,571
  • Total Topics: 2,734
  • Online today: 239
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 65
Total: 65
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 06:00:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Status of my wife's book

Started by JediMatt1000, October 03, 2021, 11:52:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JediMatt1000

My wife Jen, is working on a book of her own; she isn't a reader or a fan of KK's much to my chagrin, though I have certainly tried to get her interested in KK's works. Jen is a big fan of the "paranormal romance" genre and her story is a love story involving 2 paranormal characters. The problem she is having right now is "constructive" input from her significant other and various other family members she has entrusted to read what she has so far. It's not a particular genre I am overly familiar with; I have read the "Twilight Saga" but that is basically all my exposure that genre. She has questions pertaining to the topic of banter and how to keep it more fluid throughout the story and when it is necessary in relationship to establishing rapport between the two characters and the reader. I read it and I tell her it's a good story, because it is; and it is also difficult for me to be critical (which is really what she is looking for) she has shared her story with several family members, maybe some she shouldn't have trusted and not everyone has read it or given her any input.
"Be the change you wish to see."

Laurna

Family and close friends are like that.  They want to support, but they don't want to read what you write, because they fear they will have to be critical and they fear what they have not yet read. So it is easier just not to read it. No matter how good it is, it is a tough nut to crack open. I think spouses are a little better because they know how much has gone in to the writing. Even though you say you are not familiar with the genre, perhaps the two of you could do some play acting and throw some banter around between you. Could be a fun game. and maybe an idea or two will come from it. may be not, but it gets the brain thinking.
If you want to try doing a little critiquing, then make notes in the places that you really like, and pages that you read right through without stoping. That is the good stuff. Tell your spouse you love this. When you read something that does not yet hit the mark, remember that it is a work in progress and be constructive. ie: "I don't think this character would have said it quite like that. Is there a better way that you and I would say these things to each other if we were the characters." Or "that description is a little long can you break it up and put part of it here and another part of it later on." Always offer a hint on how to improve something. and don't take it personal if she does not agree with you. Writing is art: there are many many ways to peel an onion. sometimes with tears sometimes with laughter. What is important is eating the dinner together when it is done.
A spouse can be a writer's best support, because they honestly care that the project turns out well and they care about their spouse. I know one writer, who's wife is his editor and they often have in depth discussions about what the characters are doing. It can really be fun when you do that.

I know several people who will not share what they write with family, because the writer bears their soul in their work and they don't want to expose themselves that deeply with people they are close too. I understand this.  That is why I found this group in the first place. So finding a writing group to share with is the next best option. And I can say from personal experience that I have found friends here that I trust with my words. It is a great feeling to find that trust.
Now, because you, as the spouse put this out here. I think you are going to be a good supportive "groupie" and I think the two of you might find a way to communicate to make your wife's writing some really good stuff. Just be supportive. Best wishes on this project.
May your horses have wings and fly!

JediMatt1000

That is very good input. Thank you so much Laurna!

Nezz

If you want to throw out a short sample of dialog that she's concerned with, I could give it a look-over and tell you if there's anything I think she needs to work on. And I'll be happy to be honest since I don't know her. ;)

JediMatt1000

Thank you Nezz. I will have to ask Jen and see what she says. I know there are some good people on here she can trust. I will let you know if she takes you up on the offer.
Matt