• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69
Google (2)
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 06:32:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rhemuth a charter town?

Started by revanne, September 30, 2021, 01:36:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Does anyone know if Rhemuth had been granted a royal charter in Canon - the Codex doesn't  say so.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

According to the Privy Council, the granting of royal charters began in the 13th century, a little late for Rhemuth. Since it was the royal capital of Gwynedd, did it really need one. Not sure .
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

The City of London as distinct from Westminster where the Royal residence was, has an ancient charter which grants considerable privileges.

Gwynedd is generally a couple of centuries in advance of real world history so I could envisage Rhemuth, as it grew beyond the confines of the castle being granted a charter. The kings of Gwynedd would not have wanted to be involved in the arbitration of the civic disputes.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Shiral

I don't believe KK has ever covered this issue.
MH
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

Having never heard of a charter town before, I should not offer any advice. but if DFK said they happened in the 13th century our time than it is possible Kelson's time. and after reading about the architecture of Rhemuth Castle in DA VOL 2, it seems like it might be something that King Donal might have considered and he or King Brion would have enacted on it. But then I still don't know what it is. So I should not say anything. LOL
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

When I went looking there were charter towns and a few charter boroughs which covered parts of London. I have to agree with Laurna, not being sure how charter towns work I will leave it to Revanne who certainly understands how all this works much better than I do. I did find some interesting facts: the privy council has granted 1000 charters and is still granting them at the request of the sovereign. I graduated from the College of William and Mary in Virginia which has a royal charter from William of Orange and his queen. I was never sure exactly what that meant in terms of conducting the business of the school but they are extremely proud of it and celebrate Charter Day every every year. Prince Charles even came for the one in 1992 which was the college's 300th anniversary. We still value our ties to the mother country.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance