• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,578
  • Total Topics: 2,737
  • Online today: 433
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 378
Total: 378
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 04:02:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The Knighting of Liam Chapter 5

Started by DerynifanK, September 01, 2021, 07:58:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerynifanK

The Knighting of Liam, Chapter 5:

Rhemuth Castle
January 3, 1133

After the welcome and refreshments were done, as the members of Liam's party were being conducted to their rooms to rest and prepare for the evening's welcoming feast, Kelson and Liam repaired to a small room adjoining the hall to discuss the coming festivities.

Kelson gestured toward a chair, one of several pulled up before the fire. "It is good to see you. I trust your journey was uneventful. I received your message regarding your wish to participate fully in the activities of Twelfth Night including the ritual bath and vigil the night before the ceremony. We will assist you in any way we can to complete all the steps leading up to the actual knighting. As I have promised, I will be your sponsor for the awarding of the accolade. Nigel is greatly looking forward to dubbing  you with the sword as you requested. We want this to be everything you desire." Kelson paused as Liam nodded his agreement.

He then continued. "We are also implementing our plan for ensuring your party's safety and more importantly, your own. Have you received any additional information about the possible plots by Teymuraz or Byzantyum to attempt to disrupt the festivities or to send his agents to launch an  assassination attempt? There continues to be rumors but little additional reliable information. There are indications that something is afoot at Teymuraz's court, but it is difficult to obtain any details. Brendan's scouts have so far not found any massing of men in the mountains near Beldour that would indicate the assembling of an army to be part of a coup."

Liam responded. "Like you, we have heard rumors but have been unable to pin them down. I do have my spies in Byzantyum and in Teymuraz's Court, but they have reported nothing specific. There are some indications that he may be plotting something, but then he is always plotting something. They have been unable to come up with any solid evidence.  In fact, their contacts have been unusually quiet. That may mean that these rumors may be just that, rumors intended to disrupt the ceremonies but with no physical attacks intended."

" On the other hand it could indicate that he is developing a serious plot and is managing to keep it strictly secret."  Kelson studied  his fellow king and close friend.

Liam responded. "I am determined to carry through with our plans. As I have said, I do not intend to allow him to interfere with our continued building of the friendship between Torenth and Gwynedd. Receiving the accolade is of great personal importance to me. But I also see it as another important step in establishing those bonds of friendship." 

Kelson indicated his agreement. "As we have no solid evidence of any serious plans for mischief on his part during the celebrations, I agree that we should proceed as planned. I placed Alaric in charge of security during the rituals and celebrations. He will ensure that all steps necessary for your own safety and that of your party are in place.  You have had an opportunity to review the strategies he plans to use. Did either you or Duke Matyas have any suggestions for changes or additions?"

"We both studied the plans provided by Duke Alaric, and I am confident that all will be well. I have instructed the company of Moors that accompanied me to place themselves under the command of Duke Alaric during the vigil and ceremonies. I made certain that he is aware of those who have accompanied me from Beldour, especially my sister and Duke Matyas' daughter. I trust Alaric to have made thorough plans for security . I am confident that all will be well."  Liam smiled.

Kelson nodded his agreement. "I think we have taken ample precautions. You will wish to retire to your quarters to prepare for the dinner tonight which will signal the beginning of the festivities. They will culminate in your knighting." He summoned a page to conduct Liam to the quarters prepared for him where his squires were already laying out his clothing and preparing a bath for him. Both monarchs felt that all would be well.

The formal dinner was enjoyable and uneventful. All participants retired early as the next day would see the beginning of the rituals leading up to the knighting ceremony.  Kelson met with Alaric Morgan to review their preparations for ensuring Liam's safety.

Morgan reported. "I have several intelligencers out in the city, going among the people, seeking any sign of infiltration by agents of Teymuraz. I will place my most trusted men as guards in the cathedral during the night vigil of the candidates. As we agreed, they will be disguised in monk's robes and have received instruction from Father Nivard on how best to pass as clerics. Others are being dispersed among the crowds in the city. They will also attend the mass disguised as monks. Liam's Moors will guard the cathedral doors through the vigil. Following the end of the vigil when the candidates attend the mass, two of the Moors will attend Princess Stanisha and Lady Lionella. After the mass, when the candidates process from the cathedral to the Great Hall for the actual ceremonies, Haldane lancers will line the route, ostensibly to keep the crowds back, but on the alert for any signs of trouble. There will also be archers in the gallery above the hall. They will be as unobtrusive as possible as we do not wish to cast any shadow on what is an important day for all the candidates and their families."

Kelson nodded his approval of these arrangements. "What of Ronal?  He will be participating in his brother's knighting, and I do not wish him to become a target.  Additionally, Matyas will arrive by portal just before the ceremonies so that he may see his nephew and king knighted. He plans to return to Beldour immediately afterward as he does not feel that it is safe for both he and Liam to be absent for any length of time."

Alaric responded. "As we discussed, I have asked Nigel to assign two senior squires to accompany Ronal during the proceedings. One of them, Buckingham, has been a close friend and mentor to Ronal during his time here and will attend him continuously during the Twelfth Night festivities. I have placed additional guards inside the castle, and those who guard the Queen's Tower are aware that Princess Stanisha and Lady Lionella are not to leave the tower unaccompanied. Payne will also be on alert during the ceremonies. Brendan will meet Duke Matayas at the portal and conduct him to his place on the dais near Nigel. He will also conduct him back to the portal after the knighting ceremony."

Kelson grinned at his closest friend and mentor. " It seems that you have thought of everything. We are well prepared. I am praying that everything goes well with no hitches." The two men separated, heading for their respective apartments to prepare for the formal dinner which would mark the beginning of the Twelfth Night festivities
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

ReikiDeryni

Talk about teasing us🤭💀. Just as you get into it and it gets good, it's over.

Laurna

I agree with you Reiki Deryni, The plans are in place and the event is ready. But do things ever really go as planned. We shall just wait and soon see.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

I would definitely want Alaric Morgan in my corner if things go wrong!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Absolutely. Especially an Alaric with the experience he has gained over the past years.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Stay tuned. There is more to come. I have to keep your interest.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Nezz

...and Heaven forbid everything go according to plan and the knighting ceremony go on without a hitch. *sits back with the popcorn to watch everything go wrong*

DerynifanK

You know there is no way everything will go off without a hitch.