• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 75
Total: 75
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 10:33:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Tintern Abbey

Started by revanne, August 14, 2021, 05:20:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

Yesterday I visited the ruins of Tintetn Abbey about 30 minutes from home and just over the border into Wales. It made me think of St Neots, though there were no hidden Portals, alas.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

A lovely place. Thank you for the pictures.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DoctorM

Very lovely photos! Thank you for posting!

Now I must go back and re-read the poem!

HoundMistress

I love to look around old ruins! Looks like a good one!
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

Laurna

Amazing old ruins.  I love how the British have cleaned up and preserved their history. No loose boulders lying around and pretty mowed greens for floors. Neat history.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Nezz

Wow, that place must have been spectacular in its heyday. thank you for visiting and sharing the pics with us. :)

What kind of stone would they have used to build someplace like that?

DerynifanK

The Abbey is built of  Old Red Sandstone so colors vary from purple to buff and grey. Total length east to west is 228 feet and the transept so 150 feet in length. The style is decorated gothic in the cruciform plan.
Soure: wikipedia
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Gilreth

Reminds me in many ways of Kirkstall Abbey (which is a mile walk from where I live) and indeed the other great Yorkshire Abbeys. I have many photos of Fountains Abbey in particular. Kirkstall is almost in the centre of Leeds but still lovely next to the river - and my place of work is built on grounds that used to belong to the abbey. Not surprising Tintern reminds me of the Yorkshire abbeys as they are also Cistercian

Many of the abbeys were built from sandstone or gritstone depending on location