• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208
Facebook External hit
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 03:42:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus - Crossover Chapter 3

Started by revanne, August 03, 2021, 04:10:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

"Sit down"

The words were spoken quietly, evenly, but they sliced into Kelric with the same icy force of the gale that howled outside the castle walls. Whether in fact he could have chosen to disobey was irrelevant, his body turned and moved him back into his seat before his will was given any say in the matter.

His gaze was fixed on his normally benign uncle, his mouth hanging open and eyes staring, as Duncan's outline seemed to blur and waver. As he stared it seemed to grow half as big again, brown and hairy, inarticulate yet with obviously threatening noises coming from its throat. Kelric felt the shaming sweat of fear flow down his body, staining his tunic, but he still lacked the will to move. Before he could gather his wits the outline had blurred again, this time into something more human in shape but no less alarming. A knight, by the look of him, in full black armour, the helmet totally obscuring his face. And inside Kelric's skull a drum beat out a march rhythm, insistent and threatening. 

His arm tried to move in the blessing gesture that warded off evil but the noise would not allow him to focus, then, suddenly,  it was as though an iron fist had him by the throat and his vision blurred. Then, thankfully, the drumbeat stopped, his vision cleared and it was Duncan who sat opposite him. The respite was only short-lived, for, before he could slam his shields down, into his mind's eye came an image of Duncan on horseback wielding a mighty sword and with an implacable look on his face. Kelric remembered the stories he had been told of the warrior bishop who had outfaced the enemy with such courage, enduring vile torture and escaping death by a hair's breadth. In his youthful arrogance Kelric had assumed these exploits were remembered with advantage, in the manner of old men. He had seriously, and foolishly, misjudged his opponent.

"Mea culpa ..." he began to stammer but was cut off by Duncan who he was relieved to see was now smiling, though in a sardonic manner which warned Kelric he was not off the hook yet by a long way.

"I'm glad you know the correct latin for the beginning of your confession, and be assured I shall be hearing that before we are done, but there is another latin phrase you might want to consider as good advice: 'draco dormiens nunquam titillandus.'"

Seeing Kelric's blank expression, Duncan simply smiled in an even more sinister way, then became stern again.

"If it were not for the difficulties it would create for your father and myself, I would personally take you to Dhassa, have you explain yourself to his excellency the Bishop,  then return in a month or so to pick up what is left." Duncan drew a deep breath, then exploded much less angrily but with a great deal of exasperation, "Merciful Saints, boy, do you never listen to what your father says about Bishop Arilan!" Then more quietly as though to himself, " Of course he never listens, he's his father's son, angels and ministers of grace preserve us!"

Duncan got up, went to the closet in the corner of his room and took out a purple stole, placed it briefly to his lips, then around his neck, then pointedly sat down next to the prie dieu. Kelric was defeated and knew it, as well get his penance over now than later. He knelt down and began the prescribed formula.

Duncan listened in silence, trying to hide what was by now his genuine amusement. His initial fear aroused by the thought of Denis Arilan knowing any of this, and his resultant anger, had burnt themselves  out. It was, he supposed, largely his own fault, though he had counted without Alaric talking in his sleep, and the foul weather which had left Kelric with the idle hands that were such an easy prey for mischief. Well he would give the boy a severe enough penance to make him feel that he had been taken seriously, and himself an even more severe one, for to whom could he ever make confession of all this? But even as he thought this, the idea for a little fun came into his head. They were, after all only a little beyond twelfth night and the season when all propriety was turned on its head. He needed a little more research, then he would be betake himself to Alaric's quarters and remind his cousin who had started all this if he was inclined to be difficult. A bottle of Vezaire port would help too.

Kelric remained meekly on his knees, He was still unnerved enough by what he had unleashed for penitence to seem the safest option. He did not dare to ask for an explanation of the terrifying visions and music; he was not at all sure he wanted to know. He accepted his penance with only a slight inward groan. An hour in a cold chapel on his knees on a winter's night was not his idea of fun, but it would hopefully  be free of hairy monsters and murderous black cloaked figures. The added instruction to present himself here in Duncan's study the next morning in comfortable riding gear seemed odd as a penance, but harmless. Most likely he would be required  to ride out with the Bishop as he distributed alms, in reparation for his sins of covetousness and envy. He bowed his head for the words of absolution, then kissed the ring that was held out to him, got to his feet and made hastily for the door glad to have made his escape.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Well I would think an encounter with the Dark Knight (AKA Darth Vader) accompanied by the relentless dark theme music and feeling the mailed fist at his throat would intimidate anyone Not sure if the hairy monster was Chewy but it sounded like him. I would think Kelric would be sorry he ever heard of a light sabre. Wonder what mischief Duncan has in mind now and how much trouble it might land both him and Alaric in. Can't wait for Chapter 4, there has to be a Chapter 4. Revanne, you have a truly amazing imagination!
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

Yes it's Chewy and ofcourse Darth Vader and the Imperial March.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

And one should definitely avoid tickling sleeping dragons.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Laurna

I love the very frightening vision of Chewbacca, Darth Vader and the feeling of Dark sieth magic tightening around poor Kelric's throat. I can not imagine the reputation of our Bishop Denis Arilan being perceived as being worse than that? Or maybe I can. LOL

I am glad the images were fleeting and I hope that Kelric eventually learns that Chewbacca is one of the good guys.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Quote from: Laurna on August 03, 2021, 08:17:26 PM
I love the very frightening vision of Chewbacca, Darth Vader and the feeling of Dark sieth magic tightening around poor Kelric's throat. I can not imagine the reputation of our Bishop Denis Arilan being perceived as being worse than that? Or maybe I can. LOL

Bishop Duncan is glad for you that you have obviously never been on the receiving end of one of Bishop Arilan's tirades. He has, and would prefer not to repeat the performance.

(Psalm 46 v1)

Nezz

Well that was a fun continuation of the story, I'm so glad you shared it with us. I especially enjoyed the Imperial March playing in poor Kelric's head. :)

Demercia

The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Demercia

Demercia

Though I am slightly concerned at how thoroughly Duncan has done his research!

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Demercia, I have not done any research on Henry V other than seeing the film (very good film with a gripping monologue by Kenneth Branagh)

So Here I was wondering if Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus had something to do with it. I looked it up (love the internet) and low and behold the phrase has something to do with an all together different Harry:

Spoiler Alert as I don't think the Spoiler command works anymore.

[spoiler] The Hogwarts school motto, Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus, means "Never Tickle a Sleeping Dragon."

But I so want to tickle a certain sleeping Dragon, a big red one.  LOL [/spoiler]

But Now Dermercia, I must ask for even more enlightenment: or at least a hint and a history lesson.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Quote from: revanne on August 03, 2021, 08:31:30 PM
Quote from: Laurna on August 03, 2021, 08:17:26 PM

Bishop Duncan is glad for you that you have obviously never been on the receiving end of one of Bishop Arilan's tirades. He has, and would prefer not to repeat the performance.

Having spent some time with Bishop Arilan, he's definitely a cantankerous sort, but after the manner of certain types of teachers, he's toughest on the people in whom he sees the most potential.

Small comfort when you're having a very stern Riot Act read to you by someone with Denis' vocabulary, education, and arcane ability, to be sure.  ;)

(A really good canon example is when Arilan takes Duncan to task for letting his aura flare while dubbing Dhugal.  Arilan is a: afraid [and for excellent reasons because of the legal status of Deryni clergy] and b: he has been quietly mentoring/monitoring Duncan since the younger was a seminarian, so he has equally excellent reasons to think that Duncan is too smart to pull a stunt like that.)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

It was that incident I was thinking of DR. It makes me cringe even to read it, especially the sense of disappointment that comes through.

Within the AU context of this little run of silly stories Duncan's taking an interest in other universes would definitely count as dabbling in murky grey waters in Denis's book.

Kelric was fairly certain what he experienced wasn't real, whereas Bishop Arilan most definitely was  and his wrath to be avoided. Which is why he threatened Duncan with him in the first place. His mistake was not to realise that there was a sleeping dragon inside his benign uncle.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Demercia

Sorry to be obscure DR.  It's Shakespeare's Henry V (and I loved Kenneth Branagh in the film) that Revanne was referencing.  It's the king's  speech before Agincourt, at one point he says "old men forget, but he'll remember with advantage the deeds we did today". I think at one point, many decades ago, Revanne and I had pretty much the whole speech off by heart.