• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,576
  • Total Topics: 2,737
  • Online today: 176
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 88
Total: 89
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 01, 2024, 01:36:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Patronal Festivsls

Started by revanne, April 24, 2021, 10:54:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

All Anglican ( Episcopalanian) and Roman Catholic churches have a dedication, usually to a Saint. So my previous Church was St. Benedict's and the one DH and I now attend us St Peter's. This would be the Patron Saint of the Church, often mentioned in the Liturgy at some point and the Patronal Festival falls on that Saint's day in the calendar.

So St Peter's Patronal Festival is 29th June which we understand is celebrated at our new church by having an ice cream feast after the service!

Occasionally churches are dedicated to events in Our Lord's life - Holy Ascension for example where we worshipped when our children were young. Holy Cross, my first Parish is a very unusual dedication for an Anglican Church, but is very ancient going back to the apparent finding of the true cross by St Helena, Constantine's mother - he who made Christianuty the religion of the Roman Empire. The Church wasn't that old but did date back in its origins to 800 or so.

The most common dedication is to St Mary the Virgin. In Welsh the church of St Mary is Llanfair, hence the many places in Wales called Llanfair including the famous Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch, which is a place name in Anglesey, Ynys Mon.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Nezz

Quote from: revanne on April 24, 2021, 10:54:15 AM
So St Peter's Patronal Festival is 29th June which we understand is celebrated at our new church by having an ice cream feast after the service!

I thoroughly approve of your church's celebration! I'll bet if they'd had more ice cream feasts back in the Roman times, those dang Romans would have been a lot nicer to the early Christians. ;)

DerynifanK

Thanks for the explanation. And i heartily approve of ice cream socials as a way of celebrating.  The famous Llanfair with the really long name is intimidating. I bet no one can actually pronounce that.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Jerusha

I'm sure any native speaking Welsh can pronounce it quite well.  I'll just nod my head as if I had a clue what was being said. :)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

I heard a weather man on the new pronounce it and he said he had to practice it many times over so as not to offend a Welshman.

So I am now wondering if on the Patronal Festival of the St George Cathedral in Rhemuth for something like a medieval ice cream social, they serve Flaming cherries jubilee.
Since it is a little early for fresh cherries, they will use the marinated cherries in a hard liquor from the year before and set them to flame.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

I don't think the Welsh actually use that whole name every time they speak of that place.  I mean, how often do we abbreviate long place names?  I know in my part of the world, I see "Jax" at least as often as the full "Jacksonville."
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

Quote from: Laurna on April 24, 2021, 10:08:09 PM

So I am now wondering if on the Patronal Festival of the St George Cathedral in Rhemuth for something like a medieval ice cream social, they serve Flaming cherries jubilee.
Since it is a little early for fresh cherries, they will use the marinated cherries in a hard liquor from the year before and set them to flame.

Yum Laurna, what a fabulous idea.

I'm not sure that they would be able to grow cherries as far north as Rhemuth, maybe down in the south of Corwyn or Carthmoor. Of course, an enterprising Bremagne merchant might preserve the cherries there and send them across in barrels as luxury goods. I imagine that with the marriage of Jehena and Brion trade between the two countries would have developed, with fruit and wine from Bremagne being paid for with the money earned from the export of high quality fleeces and cloth.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Quote from: revanne on April 25, 2021, 03:35:26 AM
Quote from: Laurna on April 24, 2021, 10:08:09 PM

Yum Laurna, what a fabulous idea.

I'm not sure that they would be able to grow cherries as far north as Rhemuth, maybe down in the south of Corwyn or Carthmoor. Of course, an enterprising Bremagne merchant might preserve the cherries there and send them across in barrels as luxury goods. I imagine that with the marriage of Jehena and Brion trade between the two countries would have developed, with fruit and wine from Bremagne being paid for with the money earned from the export of high quality fleeces and cloth.

It's usually lnow as Llanfair P G. There is quite a lot of dispute as to whether the name is entirely genuine or was extended in the 18th century to encourage nascent tourism.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Quote from: Jerusha on April 24, 2021, 09:17:03 PM
I'm sure any native speaking Welsh can pronounce it quite well.  I'll just nod my head as if I had a clue what was being said. :)

My Aunt learnt to say it as a party piece, taught by a Welsh speaking friend.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Nezz

About half of my Welsh class could pronounce it, but not me; I just called it Llanfair PG, but at least I could pronounce the "Ll" correctly. :)

DesertRose

The Episcopal church my mother attended in Savannah, GA, before I was born, was named St. Michael and All Angels.  I have to think that makes for a serious patronal festival, since "all angels" constitutes . . . quite a few beings.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)