• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 250
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 211
Total: 211
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 28, 2024, 08:48:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Vocabulary

Started by DoctorM, September 21, 2020, 03:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorM

Hmmm... I just noticed the fan fic rules and have a delicate question. I understand and agree with the prohibition on Deryni erotica. That makes perfect sense. Vocabulary, though, is a question. I'm going to assume that soldiers, servants, and (yes) nobles in the Eleven Kingdoms have access to the same levels of profanity that we do...and that their actual medieval equivalents did. While I'm not thinking of going beyond the epithets that characters in Patrick O' Brian or Hilary Mantel might use, what is the consensus at the site on vocabulary?

[I'm hoping everyone here knows the story of how Norman Mailer tried to get around 1940s mores and censorship by...changing the spelling of A Certain Word used (frequently) by his WW2 soldiers and marines in "The Naked and the Dead". One of my favorite literary tales.]

DesertRose

The rules are, basically, keep it PG13.  In the movies, that means you can get away with one F-bomb per film; we would prefer that you refrain from bombing at all, but you can allude to that particular useful bit of obscenity.

Any language that appears in the books is fair game.  Basically, if KK uses it, you can, too, and if she doesn't (or wouldn't), don't.  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DoctorM

Works for me. 

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.