• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 114
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 56
Total: 56
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 26, 2024, 02:17:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

KK Chat -- 8 March 2020

Started by Bynw, March 08, 2020, 07:30:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

[18:07] ---» KK (49ab39c5@owirc-tr3bnd.org) has Joined #deryni_destinations
[18:07] »» derynibot gives channel operator status to :KK
[18:07] <Eris> <derynifank> Hi KK
[18:07] <~bynw> hi KK
[18:07] <~bynw> yes the time change could have gotten a few
[18:07] <The_Bee> It's silly, I know, but I actually felt a bit abandoned when spring  beginning on my birthday.
[18:07] <The_Bee> Hi KK
[18:08] <KK> Hi, guys.  Sorry I had to skip last week, but I thimk I've ofund my next house!
[18:08] <KK> found
[18:08] <The_Bee> stopped beginning
[18:08] <Eris> <derynifank> Did you end up buying a new house?
[18:08] <The_Bee> TELL!
[18:09] <~bynw> it's great news that you found one you like
[18:09] <Eris> <derynifank> Yes, tell us all about it
[18:10] <KK> It's 3 edrooms and two baths, like I wanted, has a good kitchen.  All on one level.  (There's a partially finished basement, but the stairs going down to it are easy, and I'd mostly use it for storage.  Big, fenced back yard.  An wonderful 4-seasons porch across the entire back of the house.  And it's only 4 doors down from one of my best friends. Location, location, location.
[18:11] <Eris> <derynifank> Sounds great!
[18:11] <~bynw> that's awesome Kathrine :)
[18:11] <The_Bee> Good for entertaining guests
[18:12] <KK> Quiet neighborhood, fairly near Gypsy Hill Park, which is a cool place.  Not all that far from where I am now.
[18:12] <Eris> <Shiral> Hello all
[18:12] <Eris> <derynifank> Hi Shiral
[18:12] <The_Bee> HI sHIRAL
[18:13] <~bynw> hi Shiral
[18:13] <Eris> <Shiral> I'm so glad you've found a new home, KK =o) That must be a load off your mind
[18:13] <KK> Well, I don't do much entertaining, but there's a very nice view out the back of the house, from that porch, where I can put the big 4-piece couch set from my present media room.  I thought it would be way too big from wherever I found, but it will be perfect out there.
[18:14] <KK> Working on gedtting a mortgage now.  And cottage is now officially on the rental market.  Hurrah!
[18:14] <Eris> <derynifank> What are your plans for your present house?
[18:14] <The_Bee> Is the porch sheltered from the weather?
[18:15] <KK> ]Selling it as soon as I can finish serious decluttering.  And I'll have to sell most of my antique furniture.  Too big for the new house, and the wrong feel.  I'm going to go for a cottage look.
[18:15] <Eris> <derynifank> Great to have the cottage on the market. Know that is a relief
[18:15] <KK> Porch has windows on 3 sides, and useable year-round.
[18:15] <Eris> <Shiral> Knowing where you'll go next must make the next steps easier.
[18:15] <Eris> <derynifank> Porch sounds wonderful!
[18:16] <Eris> <Shiral> Wonderful place for breakfast and also for kitty naps. =o)
[18:16] <Eris> <Shiral> Can you sell the house WITH the furniture?
[18:17] <The_Bee> I bet the animals will enjoy have a new place to explore.
[18:17] <KK> It's definitely giving me incentire to keep things moving at this end.  And the overlap, time-wise, will enable me to do a few things to it before I move in. like strip out the carpet and put down waterproof laminate, and do some painting, and put in a dog flap.  And I can gradually move my furniture in to make sure what I'm keeping will fit.
[18:17] <KK> incentive.
[18:18] <KK> I can picure myself curled up on one of the couches on that back porch with a good book and a cup of tea....
[18:18] <Eris> <derynifank> and a kitty
[18:18] <Eris> <Shiral> Booker will enjoy surveying his new home, too
[18:19] <Eris> <Shiral> And you'll have room for when Cameron and Anna come to visit
[18:20] <KK> It will all be new to him; he's only ever lived in the present house.  And I need to figure out how I can make the front yard accessible from the back, which is at a higher level than the back yard.  Electric fence would be good, but not sure if it can done other than in a full circle.  And life on the street might be altogether too enticing to obey the fence.  But we'll figure it out.
[18:21] <KK> Yep, I'll have a nice little guest room, with adjacent bath.
[18:21] <Eris> <Shiral> Sounds perfect!
[18:22] <The_Bee> Oh, you mean Booker!  For a moment I thought you were talking about Cameron.
[18:22] <KK> Kitchen is small but well laid out in a U shape.  Laundry has its own little room by the side door.  No more carying laundry up and down stairs.
[18:22] <Eris> <Shiral> It's hard to keep Cameron fenced in....
[18:22] <KK> True.
[18:23] <Eris> <derynifank> Not having to carry laundry up and down stairs is a BIG plus
[18:23] <Eris> <Shiral> snaps fingers and produces a Victoria Sponge cake with cream and strawberries and the magic tea pot that pours whatever kind of tea everyone wants.
[18:23] <Eris> <derynifank> OOOH, yummy. Thanks
[18:24] <Eris> <Shiral> Sounds like time for a celebration.
[18:24] »» The_Bee adds petit-fours.
[18:24] <Eris> <Shiral> thinks for a second, then adds plates, cups and utensils. =o)
[18:25] <KK> It <doesn't> have a garage or carport, but it does have an off-street parking pad for 2 cars. I can live with that.  No house is going to be absolutely perfect. Builot in 2003, so it will be the newest house I've ever lived in.
[18:25] <~bynw> wow that is a new house
[18:25] <The_Bee> so no ghosts?
[18:25] <Eris> <Shiral> As long as you don't have to park on the street.
[18:26] <~bynw> maybe a garage or carport can be built on that pad space in due time
[18:26] <KK> I doubt there are ghosts.
[18:26] <KK> Nope, the house is too near the street.  And none of the other houses have them, so I doubt it would be allowed or others would have done so.
[18:27] <KK> Cute little front porch across the whole front of the house, but not particularly private.  I might add some fresh white railings around the edges.
[18:29] <~bynw> sounds like a great house
[18:29] <The_Bee> a place to watch the world--or at least your neighbors--go by.
[18:29] <KK> It isn't very deep, either, maybe 4 ft.  I'll have to do some measuring to see if a  couple of my Adirondak chairs would fit.
[18:30] <Eris> <Shiral> This is the reason blinds were invented so that you can keep some privacy when you want it.
[18:31] <KK> I could put some of those bamboo roll-up blinds on the two ends, I suppose.  I'll have to see what it looks like once I get a better feel for things.  Right now, it has nasty green indoor-outdoor carpet across the whole thing.  But it does have a cute little water feature bust off the porch.  Could do something with that.
[18:31] <KK> just
[18:32] <The_Bee> water-feature bust?
[18:32] <KK> just off the porch
[18:34] <The_Bee> an aquatic creature, you mean? or a fountain?
[18:36] <Eris> <Shiral> I've rarely seen a nice indoor/outdoor carpet.
[18:36] <KK> A little wee pond, about 3 ft by 18 inches, not irregular shape, with a little solar-powered fountain in the middle that shoots about 6 inches into the air.  Like I said, cute.  Even wee.
[18:36] <KK> It <is> irregular, not regular.
[18:36] <The_Bee> Ah, ok
[18:38] <KK> There's green carpet in the back porch area, too.  I'm hoping I can have laminate extended from the rest of hte house, to include that area.  Then put down a couple of small rugs.
[18:39] <Eris> <derynifank> Some people even hang gauzy curtains on the porch, obscuring vision from outside but letting in light
[18:39] <Eris> <derynifank> I have never been a fan of indoor-outdoor carpet
[18:40] <The_Bee> i wonder if the fountain might attract birds.
[18:40] <KK> That's also a possibility.  But lots to do before I make that kind of decision.  And budget will be a factor until I've sold the big house.  It's scary enough to know that I'll be taking on another mortgage.
[18:42] <Eris> <Shiral> Hopefully Edge Hill will be the perfect place for someone with deep pockets.
[18:42] <KK> From your mouth to God's ears.
[18:44] <KK> Bee, the present owners said that 2 ducks came one day and got into the water.  Not much more room that for the pair of them to just sit there in the water, and maybe take a shower under the spray of the little fountain.  But there you are.
[18:45] <The_Bee> I was thinking of a bird-bath for small birds.
[18:46] <KK> It's at ground level, so not terribly safe to stay very long. But they might come.
[18:47] <KK> I don't intend to let Gus go out, once we move there.
[18:47] <Eris> <derynifank> But what about neighborhood cats?
[18:48] <~bynw> outdoor life is hard on kitties
[18:48] <KK> That's why it could be dangerous for visiting birds. I don't know what cats there are.
[18:48] <Eris> <Shiral> Definitely. Dmitri however has definite views on being allowed out.
[18:49] <The_Bee> pro or con?
[18:49] <Eris> <Shiral> He and I have a lot of disagreements as I say he needs to stay IN, HE wants to go OUT.
[18:49] <KK> I suspect that, at nearly 18, Gud probably will be happy enough to be exclusively an indoor kitty.
[18:49] <KK> Gus
[18:50] <Eris> <Shiral> He's going to look at you and say "am I losing my marbles, or did you shrink this place?"
[18:50] <Eris> <derynifank> And he will be able to enjoy that wonderful porch, a protected outdoor space
[18:50] <KK> I'll have to put in one of those electronic dog flaps that requires a collar fob to let it open.  That's the only way things will work for Booker.
[18:50] <The_Bee> I've had Melantha for 12 years, and she's only recently started to venture into the hallway.
[18:51] <~bynw> my cat doesnt venture out if she manages to slip out at times. she gets scared of the big world. its safe inside with her peoples
[18:52] <Eris> <Shiral> Tati is more content to stay inside.
[18:52] <The_Bee> And as soon as I close the door, she wants to scurry back inside.
[18:52] <Eris> <derynifank> Murray got out but found he didn't like and went and hid under the deck
[18:53] <KK> I'd worry that Gus might try to find his way back to the old house; can't have that.  Fortunately, he mostly spends his time these days on my bed or on my lap at the desk.
[18:53] <The_Bee> Cats are both predator and prey.
[18:55] <KK> He'll be able to look out the back porch, but it's really an extension of the house, rather than a true porch.  And all windowed in.
[18:55] <~bynw> yeah older kitties sleep alot
[18:55] <Eris> <derynifank> I keep telling him that indoor kitties have longer, healthier lives
[18:56] <Eris> <derynifank> Not sure he is buying it
[18:59] <KK> It will be different, for sure.  But I think it will be charming, once I've set my stamp on it.
[18:59] <Eris> <derynifank> It sounds lovely
[18:59] <~bynw> yeah you always have to put your own stamp on it to make it yours
[19:00] <Eris> <Jerusha> Sorry to be late: experimental dinner
[19:00] <KK> Successful experiment?
[19:00] <The_Bee> That's why i renamed Melantha.  Until I named her, she wasn't fully mine.
[19:01] <Eris> <Jerusha> Yes, it was.  I was surprised
[19:01] <Eris> <derynifank> Experimental? Did you get experimental food
[19:01] <The_Bee> Tell!
[19:01] <Eris> <Shiral> Hi Jerusha
[19:01] <Eris> <Jerusha> I am probably the only person at 66 years who has never boiled potatoes before
[19:01] <Eris> <derynifank> Hi Jerusha
[19:02] <Eris> <Jerusha> Hi DFK
[19:02] <Eris> <Shiral> It's fun to have a new place to work on. YOu don't have to do anything all that major or expensive to make a  big difference.
[19:02] <The_Bee> Hi, Jerusha
[19:02] <Eris> <Jerusha> Hi Bee
[19:02] <~bynw> you boil potatoes to make mashed potatoes
[19:03] <Eris> <Jerusha> And I HATE mashed potatoes!  These were for oven roasted potatoes, and they were yum
[19:03] <KK> Yes, I've always been intrigued by tiny houses.  (Scott never would have tolerated this one.)  Not <that> tiny: about 1200 square feet, I think.  Not sure if the back porch is counted in that.
[19:04] <Eris> <Jerusha> A  not quite tiny house?
[19:04] <Eris> <derynifank> unless you use instant. There are some good ones that you only need to add water
[19:04] <The_Bee> KK thinks she's found her new house.
[19:04] <Eris> <Jerusha> Still hate mashed potatoes
[19:04] <KK> In that, it will be a big adjustment.  Standard height ceilings, too.  I'll have to replace the bedroom ceiling fan with a flat fixture, so that my canopy bed will fit.
[19:05] <Eris> <Jerusha> Ohh, a canopy bed
[19:05] <KK> A cosy cottage, Eris.
[19:06] <Eris> <Shiral> I think my unit is 1,300. Feels like plenty of room for me.
[19:06] <Eris> <Jerusha> Our little lakeshore cottage is enough for us
[19:06] <Eris> <derynifank> I do love cosy
[19:06] <KK> The canopy itself is macrame, which doesn't close it in so much.  It isn't a large bedroom, though.  Does have a fairly decent walk-in closet.
[19:06] <KK> For one person, I think it will be fine. 
[19:07] <Eris> <Jerusha> That would be nice
[19:07] <KK> That back porch is one of the things that sold me on the house.
[19:07] <Eris> <Jerusha> My walk in closet is "DH, put your stuff in that little closet over there"
[19:08] <Eris> <derynifank> I have always wanted a walkin closet but no luck so far
[19:08] <KK> I'll also have 2 closets in one bedroom and one in the other, so my stuff will be able to spill over. 
[19:08] <Eris> <Jerusha> Walk in would involve everything tumbling down  on my head
[19:08] <Eris> <Shiral> Will you have a room for your office?
[19:09] <KK> Yes, one of the bedrooms will become my office.
[19:10] <Eris> <Jerusha> You need room for your writing
[19:12] <Eris> <Shiral> Excellent
[19:12] <KK> And there's a finished room down in the basement that the present owners were using as an office, but it has no windows.  I think I'll put my sewing machine down there, and store overflow craft studd, though I'm seriously culling that sort of stuff.
[19:12] <Eris> <Shiral> Dmitri has just stopped in, he sends his purrs, KK
[19:12] <KK> stuff
[19:12] <KK> Booker is snoring beside my chair.
[19:13] <Eris> <Jerusha> Scritches for Dmitri
[19:13] <Eris> <Shiral> Darn, and here I thought I was missing something great because I don't have a craft stud. =o)
[19:13] <The_Bee> Where's Gus?
[19:13] <KK> Probabloy up on my bed.
[19:13] <Eris> <Jerusha> Craft stud is an interesting concept
[19:14] <KK> Indeed.
[19:14] <Eris> <Jerusha> It could result in a very interesting calendar
[19:14] <Eris> <Shiral> LOL, yes
[19:15] <Eris> <Shiral> Jerusha, Dmitri thanks you for the Ear Scritches
[19:15] <Eris> <Jerusha> My pleasure
[19:16] <Eris> <Shiral> Maybe he's my craft stud after all. Although lately he likes to stop my computer work by lying on the mouse pad
[19:16] <Eris> <Jerusha> Playing cat and mouse?
[19:16] <KK> Well, this is going to ba a busy week.  Doctor appointments on 4 of the 5 days; just routine maintenance, but the appointments just fell out that way.
[19:17] <Eris> <Shiral> Playing "The Cat is lying on TOP of your mouse, so don't move it"
[19:17] <KK> Speaking of health issues, what do you guys think about the corona virus?
[19:17] <Eris> <Shiral> Congratulations on your new place, and hope the appointments go well, KK
[19:17] <The_Bee> I hope the appointments bring only good news, KK.
[19:17] <Eris> <Jerusha> I would like not to think about it, but it doesn't appear to be an option
[19:17] <Eris> <Shiral> I'm finding a whole new occupation in handwashing
[19:17] <KK> Me too.
[19:18] <Eris> <Jerusha> Shelves are bare of sanitizer.  Go figure
[19:18] <Eris> <Shiral> Not panicking, but definitely concerned.  This month my library has canceled all of our group events. We've never done that before in 30 years.
[19:18] <Eris> <Jerusha> Wow
[19:18] <~bynw> not worried about it actually given statistics about it
[19:19] <The_Bee> I'm not really worried.  At church last Sunday the minister suggested we not shake hands during greeting time. Not sure how serious he was.
[19:19] <Eris> <Shiral> What concerns me most is that it can show up in people who haven't traveled and have not had any known contact with someone who has tested positive
[19:19] <~bynw> well that can be bad in cold/flu season anyway
[19:20] <KK> I'm supposed to go to LA on t he 31, but I'm having serious reservations about being cooped up on 4 planes, going through LA twice, and then mingling with whatever assorted folk in the heart of Hollywood.  Reserving judgment for another week or so..
[19:20] <The_Bee> i once read the Chinese custom of clasping your own hands and bowing was intended to avoid spreading disease.
[19:20] <~bynw> yeah i would think twice about that too KK
[19:21] <Eris> <Shiral> If you're in good general health, you'd probably come through okay. But people over 50 are more susceptible to it.
[19:21] <Eris> <Jerusha> We're booked to travel to Florida mid-April; keeping an open mind
[19:21] »» ~bynw is over 50 and will be even more so tomorrow
[19:21] <Eris> <Shiral> I'm sticking to the Spock Option. (FLashes a Live Long and Prosper signal
[19:21] <Eris> <Jerusha> Happy Birthday in advance, Bynw
[19:21] <Eris> <derynifank> DEpends on whether you are in the at-risk group. Everyone should take precautions but they are mostly things we should be doing anyway
[19:21] «--- KK (49ab39c5@owirc-tr3bnd.org) has Quit (Quit: CGI:IRC)
[19:22] <Eris> <Shiral> Happy BIrthday, Bynew
[19:22] <The_Bee> Take care of yourself, KK.  We want to keep you around for many more years.
[19:22] <Eris> <Jerusha> Oops?
[19:22] ---» KK (49ab39c5@owirc-tr3bnd.org) has Joined #deryni_destinations
[19:22] »» derynibot gives channel operator status to :KK
[19:22] <Eris> <derynifank> Happy birthday early bynw
[19:22] <Eris> <Jerusha> WB. KK
[19:22] <~bynw> we lost you for a second there KK
[19:22] <KK> Got booted out.  And Happy birthday, bynw.
[19:23] <KK> Scott would have been 73 tomorrow.
[19:23] <Eris> <Shiral> Congratulations at finding your new home, KK. Hope that the process of moving/sellling etc etc progresses smoothly
[19:23] <Eris> <Jerusha> Moving can be challenging
[19:23] <Eris> <Shiral> That's right.  it was this time last year.
[19:23] <~bynw> thanks KK, i hope you will take tomorrow easy
[19:24] <The_Bee> Happy Birthday, Bynw.
[19:24] <Eris> <Jerusha> raises a glass in rememberance
[19:24] <KK> Oh, thank you!  They say that moving is one of the 3 top stressors a person can deal with, with losing a spouse and losing a child.  I've got 2 of the 3.
[19:24] <Eris> <Shiral> Auld Lang Syne. HOpe he and Sharon and Margaret are having a lovely sunday together
[19:24] <KK> But at least the cottage will be rented soon!
[19:24] <KK> Have to keep positive thoughts.
[19:25] <Eris> <Jerusha> Will the cottage be sold with your house?
[19:25] <KK> Yes.
[19:25] <~bynw> yes loosing a child is terrible and spouse too or even very close friend who could have been
[19:25] <KK> Or I could have moved in there, though it's only 2 bedrooms.  Large ones, though.
[19:25] <KK> Lost a close friend, too: Jasta.
[19:26] <Eris> <Jerusha> It was a rough year
[19:26] <The_Bee> and your Mom
[19:26] <Eris> <Shiral> Yes. It's been a really tough year, for you. The nice thing about a new home though, is at least you get to enjoy it once the stressful part is mostly over. That's not the case with the other two
[19:26] <KK> Yep.  So far, 2020 seems to be going reasonably well.
[19:26] <~bynw> yay for 2020!
[19:26] <Eris> <derynifank> As the Queen would say, annus horribilis
[19:26] <Eris> <Jerusha> Excellent
[19:27] »» ~bynw isnt working tomorrow since he always takes his birthday off
[19:27] <Eris> <derynifank> Good for him!
[19:27] <Eris> <Jerusha> Good for you Bywn, provided you aren
[19:27] <Eris> <Shiral> Oh, forgot to mention. My birthday present from mom is going to see Hamilton in San Francisco at the end of this month
[19:27] <Eris> <Jerusha> 't plotting for GotP
[19:27] <KK> On that note, I think I'm about ready to sign off.  The time change, plus having a busy week ahead, makes me think it would be a good idea to head to bed fairly soon.  Everyone, have a wonderful week"  And wash those hands!
[19:27] <The_Bee> COOL! Shiral
[19:27] <~bynw> have a good night KK
[19:28] <Eris> <Jerusha> Have a good week, KK
[19:28] <~bynw> Jerusha, those plans have already been made
[19:28] <Eris> <Shiral> Good night and good luck this week, KK
[19:28] <The_Bee> Good night and good week, KK.
[19:28] <Eris> <Jerusha> @Bynw Oh Dear!
[19:28] <Eris> <derynifank> Good night and have a good week KK.
[19:28] <KK> Coola boola, Shiral!
[19:28] <The_Bee> thanks for coming, KK
[19:29] »» KK steps onto her Portal, waves goodnight, and disappears in a shower of green sparkles.
[19:29] <Eris> <Shiral> Yes! It's also her bithday present to my brother, since we're going the day before HIS bithday
[19:29] <Eris> <Shiral> birthday, dagnabit
[19:29] <Eris> <Shiral> Bye KK
[19:29] <KK> Nighters!
[19:29] <Eris> <derynifank> nighters
[19:29] «--- KK (49ab39c5@owirc-tr3bnd.org) has Quit (Quit: CGI:IRC (EOF))
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com