• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

May 16, 2024, 09:30:50 PM
that's fine Revanne
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,628
  • Total Topics: 2,741
  • Online today: 415
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 118
Total: 118
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 09:12:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

How long do Bishops last?

Started by revanne, March 01, 2016, 04:15:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

So we have just moved, my life is in boxes and  I have a new Parish to get to grips with from Sunday. And I am being haunted by that wretched ghost in Valoret, who was only there as a plot device to get Duncan talking. Demercia has helpfully identified the ghost for me -which has made everything far more complicated. Thanks, Sis! Of course I have no access to any of my Deryni books and have no memory of how old Bradene was in canon,  and so I am wondering... Is he still likely to have been Archbishop of Valoret in 1138/9?  And if not who might have succeeded him. For internal consistency it can't be Cardiel because he was still at Rhemuth until shortly before his sad demise in Nunc Dimittis.

Help please...

(Ironically we have just moved from a house which was actually haunted and now I'm being haunted by fictional ghosts! )
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

According to the Codex, Bradene was born in 1067, which would make him 71 in 1138. 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Quote from: Jerusha on March 01, 2016, 06:04:05 AM
According to the Codex, Bradene was born in 1067, which would make him 71 in 1138.

Which is just about possible but unlikely.

Any ideas folks - as the human Cardiel is at Rhemuth a Deryni is possible although it seems a little early for that. Any ideas...?
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

I'm tempted to go for Hugh de Berry. Experienced as Secretary to Loris and Corrigan but supported Kelson before his was obviously the winning side. Has a longstanding friendship to at least one high profile Deryni. By this point he has been a diocesan Bishop for a number of years.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Just thought to check -Bradene is still Archbishop in 1138 when Jorian is canonised and as there is no particular significance in the story I am pondering who the Archbishop is Bradene can enjoy his 3 score years and ten +.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

The codex has Bradene of Grecotha as Archbishop from 1122-1130+. I see nothing wrong with him still being at his position in 1138. Maybe he is becoming more serious about grooming a  younger candidate to take his place. Considering all aspects of medieval life, I would imagine that the clergy lived the longest: a roof over your head, food even in the harsh times, and an nearby infirmary when needed.

Now as to your ghost. It is all very possible that your prior haunted resident has decided he/she liked your company so much that he/she choose to move with you.   I am not saying this is a bad thing.  Just a mild soul seeking a loving soul to be with. I am sure as you unbox and settle in, so will the ghost that came with you. So if he/she gets you to write, I see it as a good thing.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

Ah, that would explain the very light-weight box with the mysterious, glowing message that says "open me first."   ;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

drakensis

Bradene is the 93rd Archbishop-Primate of Valoret.

The average reign of his predecessors is 9-10 years. 1130 is his ninth year of office. With that said, there's a lot of variation: some Archbishops reigned less than a year but others lasted long enough that 17 years in office isn't unprecedented.

Demercia

The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Shiral

Check the Expiration Date on the back of the clerical collar. (Sorry, I couldn't resist.) They're probably good for Three Score Years and Ten. So it's plausible that Bradene could still be Primate at the time of Cardiel's death.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

revanne

Am now imagininng:

"I am so sorry your Grace,  but you appear to have passed your Best Before Date! "

I will scrutinize my clerical collars with much more care now looking for that hidden expiry date. Oh wait,  it's too small for me to read with middle -aged eyesight. Bother!
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

May your horses have wings and fly!

DesertRose

Time to break out the bifocals or the reading glasses!  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

There is nothing wrong with being a bit to the right of your "Best Before Date."   The best is yet to come.    ;)

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

Just before Holy Week!  What a time to come into new Parish!