• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

May 08, 2024, 07:40:11 PM
Thanks Laurna
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,600
  • Total Topics: 2,740
  • Online today: 502
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 387
Total: 387
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 09, 2024, 06:34:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Inspiration

Started by Demercia, June 17, 2015, 05:21:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demercia

Just wondering if any of you accomplished writers suffer from the same vaguaries of inspiration.  I have had some work talks to write for weeks; why is it that my mind only really gets into gear the night before they are due?
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Jerusha

I am certainly not an accomplished writer, but I think it is something like the classic "fight or flight" response - "it's due tomorrow so I must do it NOW!"

Unfortunately, that's when my creative muse hits the road, and my brain implodes, scattering all thoughts of inspiration to the winds.

Leaving only a few snatches of interesting dialogue behind.... 
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

I fear it's genetic ;D.

Seriously I think the fight or flight rush of adrenaline has a lot to do with it

Added to which inspiration has the annoying habit of striking at the most inappropriate moments...
It's not so bad Duncan or Joram popping into my head while I'm in church, but Sean Derry is a different matter altogether ;D
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Elkhound

My muse has a nasty way of making suggestions, then when I try working on them saying 'PSYCH!' and hiding.  That's why I post so many prompts.

Demercia

Well I have now met the very boisterous group of 23 candidates, who will be ordained to the priesthood this weekend.   Suffice it to say that I will not be modelling my retreat addresses on those of Alexander Darby, Revanne. 
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Elkhound

Quote from: Demercia on June 18, 2015, 08:14:02 AM
Well I have now met the very boisterous group of 23 candidates, who will be ordained to the priesthood this weekend.   Suffice it to say that I will not be modelling my retreat addresses on those of Alexander Darby, Revanne.

Or Edmund Loris?

Aerlys

I think in my case that pressure helps crystalize my thoughts and put them into sharper focus...at least with writing. In school I always did better on the compositions that I left to the last minute. Go figure!

Maybe that's why my fanfic  is so delayed. Maybe if I was threatened with being KO'ed from the boards if I don't meet a deadline.. No, please don't!
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

I tend to either write best to a deadline--even if it's self-imposed, such as "I'm posting chapters on a weekly schedule, so I'd better write Friday's chapter now because it's already Thursday!"--or if I have a beta-reader or two following along as I write, which is a great two-for-one deal in that the beta-readers both catch any errors or inconsistencies that I might miss, but also spur me to keep writing more scenes because I know I've got a waiting audience who might double as a cattle prod if I suddenly stop writing.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Congratulations to the group of 23.
I have to admit, however, that my visions of the week before any group or persons being ordained, the terms "very boisterous" just seems a bit conflicting.  ;D  I admit to knowing very little about such events, but being sedate and thoughtful come to mind instead. Not that I see anything wrong with being boisterous upon reaching one's goals. I wish them all the best in their futures.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

I have to start writing and slog along on my own, at first. My muse won't take me seriously if I don't. When I've got something on the computer screen, THEN she appears and says "But I think it would be better if character X said that instead of giving that line to Character Y."

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Evie

Quote from: Laurna on June 18, 2015, 11:27:09 AM
Congratulations to the group of 23.
I have to admit, however, that my visions of the week before any group or persons being ordained, the terms "very boisterous" just seems a bit conflicting.  ;D  I admit to knowing very little about such events, but being sedate and thoughtful come to mind instead. Not that I see anything wrong with being boisterous upon reaching one's goals. I wish them all the best in their futures.

I don't know, I would think being ordained would be an occasion for great excitement and joy, both of which could easily go hand in hand with being boisterous.  :)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!