• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

June 05, 2024, 06:47:48 PM
the latest Zoom recording has been added to the Zoom archives
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,914
  • Total Topics: 2,747
  • Online today: 53
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 42
Total: 42
Sogou
Facebook External hit (15)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

June 16, 2024, 12:31:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

OT--Harry Potter--Other Wizardling Schools

Started by Elkhound, June 10, 2015, 09:30:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

JKR says that the North American school will be mentioned in the prequel movie.  Where do you think it will be?  Salem, MA would be too obvious.

She's said that there are 11 wizardling schools in the world.  So far we know about:

1. Hogwarts--near the border of England & Scotland
2. Beaubatons--southern France
3. Durmstrang--somewhere in east-central Europe, probably in the Carpathians
4. Un-named Brazilian school.
5. Un-named North American school.
6.-11.--???

Evie

I'd imagine there'd be at least one in the Far East (probably China), and possibly at least one in the Indian subcontinent as well. Not to mention Africa and Australia, and quite likely Russia since I doubt all of the Russian kids are getting sent west to Durmstrang. And there'd be a school in the Middle East as well. So what does that bring us up to, ten?
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on June 10, 2015, 09:56:35 AM
I'd imagine there'd be at least one in the Far East (probably China), and possibly at least one in the Indian subcontinent as well. Not to mention Africa and Australia, and quite likely Russia since I doubt all of the Russian kids are getting sent west to Durmstrang. And there'd be a school in the Middle East as well. So what does that bring us up to, ten?

Africa might have two--one in the North for the Arab African countries (Morocco through Egypt) and another in the South.

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on June 10, 2015, 11:13:12 AM
Quote from: Evie on June 10, 2015, 09:56:35 AM

Africa might have two--one in the North for the Arab African countries (Morocco through Egypt) and another in the South.

Or Central/South America may have two also, since I imagine the students at the Brazilian school probably speak Portuguese, so they'd need one in that area for Spanish speaking students as well.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

So where is the one in North America?  As much as I want to say it belongs in California, I am thinking between Vancouver Canada and Victoria might be a good place for it. I nice ferry ride by paddle wheel steam boat from Seattle Washington, loading off Dock Nine and three quarters.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Elkhound

Quote from: Laurna on June 10, 2015, 12:07:42 PM
So where is the one in North America?  As much as I want to say it belongs in California, I am thinking between Vancouver Canada and Victoria might be a good place for it. I nice ferry ride by paddle wheel steam boat from Seattle Washington, loading off Dock Nine and three quarters.

How about Salem, MA?

Or up a bayou in the Louisiana Delta?

Or back up in some "holler" in the Appalachian mountains? 

Evie

Quote from: Elkhound on June 10, 2015, 01:52:58 PM
Quote from: Laurna on June 10, 2015, 12:07:42 PM

How about Salem, MA?

Or up a bayou in the Louisiana Delta?

I can imagine it being well hidden in a mountain range, although I was thinking of the Rockies more than Appalachia for the purpose.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on June 10, 2015, 02:03:31 PM

I can imagine it being well hidden in a mountain range, although I was thinking of the Rockies more than Appalachia for the purpose.
[/quote]

Ever read any of Manley Wade Wellman "Silver John" stories?

Evie

I don't think so, or if I have, it's been so long ago that I've forgotten

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

I think you'd like it:  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_John

John--we never learn his last name or much about his background--is a folksinger who wanders the Appalachian mountains collecting and investigating songs.  He carries a guitar with silver strings, and although he isn't a mage himself he has a good working knowledge of magical theory.  He'll often follow up on a supernatural reference in a song, and find out that it is TRUE.

He's one of the few people who has seen a Behinder and lived to tell the tale.

What's a Behinder?  Well, you know when you are walking alone at night and there's nobody around and you get the feeling you're being followed and when you turn around and look there's nothing there?  Well, you are being followed by a Behinder.  What does it look like?  Well, most people who have actually seen one haven't had time to give much of a description beyond "AAARRRRAAAUUUUGGHHHH!!!!!!!"