• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Marc_du_Temple

May 25, 2024, 03:03:41 PM
He could hop on the one I failed to mention but would be important to have for someone travelling from town to town frequently.
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,665
  • Total Topics: 2,744
  • Online today: 67
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 32
Total: 32
Facebook External hit (22)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 26, 2024, 05:09:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Rupert

Started by Elkhound, February 23, 2015, 08:41:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

It may take more than one dose (or one serving of pumpkin), but hopefully things will start to loosen up soon.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Shiral

Poor Rupert. Doesn't sound like a fun day for either of you. Hope the meds will work given a little time to work.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

DesertRose

Elkhound, how is Rupert's tummy today?
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

Nothing was working, so I took him back to the vet.  Not only had his bowels shut down, but also his bladder.  By massage the vet was able to get his bladder started again, but there was blood in his urine.  They are keeping him overnight, but when I talked to them about five this afternoon they said that he seemed to be in less pain and was both drinking and taking fluids intravenously, and was taking an interest in what was going on around him.

They said his bowels hadn't moved, but they were going to see if they could get him to eat and if that might start things up. 

He's going to be a very expensive kitty, so I've set up a GoFundMe account: http.//http://www.gofundme.com/RupertGetWell

DesertRose

Aw, poor kitty.  I'm sorry he's going through all this.  It must be stressing you out too.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Jerusha

Oh Dear.  I hope Rupert gets better soon.  I wonder what could have caused this to happen - is this common with cats?
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Elkhound

I don't know.  He's an indoor cat 100%, so it isn't as though he could have picked something up outside. 

DesertRose

Quote from: Jerusha on February 26, 2015, 05:56:46 AM
Oh Dear.  I hope Rupert gets better soon.  I wonder what could have caused this to happen - is this common with cats?

I know neutered toms are prone to urinary tract infections.  When I was in college, I had three neutered tom cats, and two of them had to be on special food for their urinary tract problems.  (The third one, the youngest of the three, in true cat fashion ate the food out of the older two cats' bowls, so I gave up and put him on it because he was also a neutered tom, so I figured it couldn't hurt him.)

As to the severe constipation, I'm not sure if that's common or not.  I've known cats to have touchy digestive systems, though.  My parents' elder cat has a sensitive tummy.

I hope Rupert feels better soon.  If I had any spare cash, I'd put it towards his vet bills.

Aerlys

Poor kitty! I'll say an extra prayer to St. Francis for him, and for you, too. Hope he recovers quickly.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Just thinking about what causes constipation in humans, have you noticed what his water intake has been like lately? And maybe a change of diet can help. If some foods are more likely to cause constipation in humans (especially if they don't drink enough water, which many people don't), then the same may be true for cats, and he may just not have a good tolerance for his current brand.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Shiral

Poor Rupert! Yes, cats can be wicked expensive when things happen with their urinary tracts.  I hope Rupert will be okay again, soon to repay you with purrs and affection for the money laid out for his treatment.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Elkhound

He should be coming home tomorrow, and my GoFundMe is at about 22%.  I talked to the vet today, and he gave me some ideas for prevention of a relapse.

Aerlys

That's hopeful! Sending healing woodgies your way...
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Elkhound

Rupert is coming home this afternoon. 

I'm at a little over 50% of my GoFundMe. 

Laurna

I am so glad to hear your ginger kitty is coming home. You will have the whole weekend to cuddle together.
May your horses have wings and fly!