• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

May 16, 2024, 09:30:50 PM
that's fine Revanne
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,628
  • Total Topics: 2,741
  • Online today: 61
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 21
Total: 21
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 17, 2024, 07:03:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Twelfth century church for Evie's littles

Started by revanne, April 11, 2014, 02:42:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

well it only took me two months to be brave enough to try to follow Evie's brilliant instructions for Flickr. I have a very weird mentality which allows me to do some quite scary things (including amongst others take a full military funeral) and then go into complete meltdown when faced with technology.

Enjoy the pictures - I'll try to get some better ones over Easter.

The oldest part of the church, now the chancel, dates from the 12th century - just about right to be newly consecrated in time for Duncan to celebrate Mass at the altar.

yes to Evie - it should be Rev Anne - complete failure of my imagination when it came to choosing a user name!
(Psalm 46 v1)

DesertRose

That is gorgeous!  Thank you for sharing!  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Evie

Oh, very nice, revanne!!!  Gorgeous church!  <3
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

Beautiful alter and windows. Is this in England?  Thank you for sharing.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Hi Laurna,

Yes it's in northern England in a place called Woodchurch on the edge of Birkenhead, just across the river Mersey from Liverpool. A Church is mentioned here in Domesday Book (compiled in 1086) but was probably wooden. The oldest part of the present stone church was built sometime in the twelfth century. It's a beautiful building and I feel very privileged to minister in it. The village was tiny up until after the second world war when a large social housing estate was built with all sorts of socio-economic problems so a challenging place to be. But the Church feels very much like a sanctuary.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Aerlys

Quote from: revanne on April 11, 2014, 02:52:26 PM
yes to Evie - it should be Rev Anne - complete failure of my imagination when it came to choosing a user name!

Ah, I was wondering about that. "Revanne" looks like a feminization of "Revan," and I rather like it. It is also quite similar to my second daughter's name, if one switched a couple letters around, so it always catches my eye.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

revanne

Hadn't thought of it as a feminisation of revan although am happy now that Aerlys has pointed out the connection.
(Psalm 46 v1)