• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,571
  • Total Topics: 2,734
  • Online today: 234
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 208
Total: 208
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 29, 2024, 12:12:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Evie's MRI

Started by Evie, February 14, 2014, 02:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

OK, for those of you who have never had an MRI before, let me see if I can describe this procedure for you.  Imagine that there is an alien orchestra all around you.  They have a wide variety of weird-ass instruments, mostly of the percussive sort, and they insist on playing them at top volume in a metal-walled room with the sound system speakers apparently focused directly at your eardrums.  Despite your earplugs, nothing can muffle the clanging, clanking sounds of the world's most boring symphony being broadcast directly into your cranium.  Your "auditorium" is little more than a whitewashed coffin, although at least your feet and lower legs are sticking out into the open (and overly cool) air.  If you are fortunate enough to be having this MRI for a shoulder injury, then your shoulder is also wedged under a plastic clamp of sorts, and your arm is strapped down in nearly the most uncomfortable position possible (they also wanted to do a second MRI with the arm raised above my head, but that would have been the most uncomfortable position impossible, since I can't raise that arm more than 60 degrees out from my body in any direction anymore, so they decided to skip that one).  Oh, and you have to lie perfectly still in that position.  For thirty to forty minutes.  But aside from all that, it really wasn't too bad.  Almost hypnotic, actually.  Duncan and Alaric suggested using the time to meditate, but the best I managed was imagining some feeble kaleidoscope shapes on the white concave surface mere inches from my eyes.

The cool thing is that they let me keep a disk with my MRI images on it, so now I can take a scenic tour of the inside of my shoulder anytime I want, as long as I'm at a computer that can read the DVD.  (Or CD.  Whatever.)

The final diagnostic impressions:

1.  "Findings suggestive of adhesive capsulitis."  This is a fancy way of saying I've probably got a frozen shoulder.  I could have told you that without the MRI.  :D

and 2.  "Low-grade partial bursal surface supraspinatus tear."  Which is another fancy medical way of saying exactly where it is that I've got a tendon tear in my shoulder, and how deep that tear is.  Based on what diagrams in various online textbooks are showing me, it's probably that spot on my shoulder that I could easily poke at and say "See this spot?  It blumming well HURTS!"   ;D

So does this mean more exercises, surgery, or what?  Dunno yet, but finding that out will be the next stage in the process, I guess. 
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DesertRose

Ouch.  (Not that you needed me to tell you that.)

I hope your orthopedic doctor can figure out some way to get your shoulder back in action.  :)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

You did it! and you survived! Wait, they did not offer to blast soothing music into your ear phones to over whelm your already over loaded eardrums? Or was that part of the alien orchestra?

I really, really hope that your doctors will find you a healing solution to get everything back to pain-free, working condition.

Rest easy this weekend and have a Happy Valentines day.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

I think I will not share your post with my DH, who is having an MRI on his shoulder in two weeks.   ;) 

I hope it turns out to be a relatively simple but very effective fix for your shoulder, Evie.  This has gone on long enough!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

Music?  Earphones?  I could only wish!  No, I just got two foam earplugs to muffle the worst of the noise.  Or to attempt to, at least.  They reduced "deafening clanging" to "moderately annoying clunks and pings."

LOL, Jerusha!  It's really not too awful an experience, noise excepted, unless one is claustrophobic, which fortunately I'm not.  I found it mildly disconcerting for the first minute or two, then mostly boring after that.  The earlier appointment was for the MRI prep, which included injecting the shoulder joint with a local anesthetic followed by some fluid to help make the MRI images clearer.  Due to the adhesions, they were not able to put in as much of that fluid as they normally do because it was too uncomfortable for me, so they stopped after a minimal amount.  But neither injection was particularly painful.  A mild burning sensation as the local went in, but not bad beyond that.  More of a slightly annoying and mostly ignorable build-up of pressure rather than pain. To be honest, the only thing that brought tears to my eyes was when they tried to turn my arm palm-side upwards and weigh it down before the injection, and when they saw that was hurting me, they took the weight off and allowed me to just hold my arm as close to the optimal palm-up position as I could on my own and we went from there.  Compared to that, the MRI itself was a breeze.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Aerlys

The Alien Orchestra, best known for their smash hits, "Splittin' the Eardrum" and "MRI CacopHony"

"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

derynifanatic64

May your recovery be swift.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

tenworld

Quote from: DesertRose on February 14, 2014, 02:48:41 PM
Ouch.  (Not that you needed me to tell you that.)

I hope your orthopedic doctor can figure out some way to get your shoulder back in action.  :)

I had this a few years ago (diagnozed without the MRI) and it was a wonderful PTist who tortured me for weeks but fixed me and gave me exercises that i do still (because i am afraid of her:)