• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,578
  • Total Topics: 2,737
  • Online today: 433
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 357
Total: 357
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 02, 2024, 04:10:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

The voices in my head....

Started by Evie, September 25, 2013, 09:33:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evie

So on my drive to work this morning, I was stopped at an intersection, and a woman wearing shoes similar to these crosses the road in front of me:

And suddenly the Denis and Duncan voices pop into my head....

Denis:  "Why would a woman want to wear shoes like those?  What useful purpose could they possibly serve?"

Duncan:  "I think they're meant to be Evie's world's version of pattens." 

Denis:  "They can't be!  Look, she's not wearing any proper shoes in them.  And her toes are nearly at ground level; there's no way they'd be elevated enough to stay out of the mud and filth if those are meant to be pattens."

Duncan:  "Evie's world has better sanitation than ours does.  Maybe they aren't meant to keep her feet clean and dry when she's outdoors."

Denis:  "Then what's the point?  They're just.... Just...."  [looking flummoxed]

Duncan:  [grinning]  "Frivolous?"

Denis:  "Silly!"

Duncan: [laughing]  "Like most other fripperies, then?"

Denis:  [shaking his head]  "There's no fathoming women!"

;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

To me they are our modern version of medieval torture - the "Orthopedic Inquisition".    :o
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

LOL!  I feel the same way.  I haven't worn high heels since university, when the "Princess Di" craze made flat shoes fashionable.  I never felt comfortable walking in heels higher than two inches anyway, and now I absolutely can't.  My highest heeled shoes have a one or one and a half inch sturdy heel (no stiletto heels for me!), and the only reason I can tolerate even that much heel height is that the shoe soles are extremely well cushioned.   I only wear them with dress clothes, and I kick them off the moment I get home.

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Oh my, those are scary. I remember when 6" heels were only made for dudes in drag.  Four inches was the max height for a lady.   Twice I fell down flights of steps because of those four inch heels. When your young you bonce; as you age you just do not get up like you once did.  I fell down a flight of stairs two years ago and messed up my ankle.  I can no longer ware flat shoes and I can not ware tall heels. One or two inches is the only height that keeps me from limping. But try to find these in the store today.

I can only imagine how Denis and Duncan would be sitting beside you in the car discussing this observation. :o I guess I should not surmise anything from this, and only ask why John was not there as well?
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

John says he was there, he just didn't really notice the woman's shoes because he was trying very hard not to stare at the shapely legs above them.  But that was hardly something he was going to mention in the presence of a lady and two bishops....   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

Aerlys

Oh, those voices in your head...  :D

I imagine there was also further discussion as to what would possess women to leave home clad only in a shift...or trews...or whatever it is they are wearing... (I hope Evie doesn't have to explain the phenomenon of the "muffin top." Some things are just beyond explanation!  :o)

And I admit, I still wear heels, since I usually wear skirts, though I've never had much trouble walking in them. (No, I'm not June Cleaver, so I don't wear them every day.) Six-inch ones are out of the question, though, especially after I broke a toe.
"Loss and possession, death and life are one, There falls no shadow where there shines no sun."

Hilaire Belloc

Evie

Well, since this particular set of voices have been haunting my back-brain since--oh, how long have I been writing Deryni fanfic now?  The past three years?--they've long since discussed to death and resurrected the topic of modern fashions.  But every once in a while, some garment or accessory that's outside of the norm even by 21st century standards will catch their eye, and off they go again with the commentary....     ;D

Denis quite approves of some modern styles, though.  I don't think he's changed out of his cargo pants since Dragoncon weekend.  He likes all the pockets.  Having pockets means he has a way of keeping up with that miniature $20 bill I gave him last January.  He keeps saying he's going to spend that someday, but he just can't decide what he wants to buy with it.  If only I could hang on to a $20 bill that long....     ::)

Given the belted styles of the 1100s, I doubt the "muffin top" is an entirely new concept, but I'm sure it was disconcerting at first to see said "muffin top" uncovered and on full display.  More alarming to them was the whole concept of ladies wearing low rider jeans and displaying, shall we say, butt cleavage....   :o

Richenda and Helena sometimes play dress-up in modern-style clothing, but usually when the men aren't around to witness such goings-on.   Alaric isn't sure what to make of his wife wearing trousers, although he finds miniskirts rather fetching and wouldn't be averse to Richenda wearing them more often, as long as they're in private.   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Jerusha

"I know they are not the normal priestly garb, Archbishop Cardiel," Bishop Arilan said contritely.  "But look how practical they are!"  Arilan patted the sides of his camo pants with his hands. "I have pockets for my stole, a psalter, a penitential, and that twenty dollar bill I've been hoarding."  He added hopefully,   "You can imagine how handy it is to have the penitential with me at all times in case I encounter Sextus."

Thomas Cardiel shook his head slowly. "I'm sorry, Denis.  I was willing to be open-minded about Deryni in the Church, but camo pants just won't cut it.  They have to go."

"But you can keep the Jayne hat."

;D
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Evie

ROFL!!!  What about the Serenity T-shirt?  It matches the Jayne hat.  Would it be OK for Denis to hang on to that too, as long as he wears a clerical collar with it?   ;D   

--WARNING!!!--

Laurna

ROFL Oh My!
"But you can keep the Jayne hat."

The absurdity is beyond comment. But I have to so love the Jayne hat.
Side snickers at Denis in his hat.(not Denise! I am editing this far too late to save face.)

AnnieUK

OK, so now we have a whole 'nother problem. I was concerned enough when we had a spate of Brenda/Brendan, but Denis/Denise is another image entirely.

Evie

I suspect Archbishop Cardiel might have a bigger problem with Denis/Denise's sex change than with those multi-pocket trousers....   ;D

--WARNING!!!--

AnnieUK

And I must reassure Laurna that I'm not laughing at her typo. We had a spate a couple of years back, where every other mention of Brendan seemed to be "Brenda" instead. And then there was the tutu. And the boa.

I'll go away now...

Jerusha

Archbishop Cardiel will NOT approve of a purple boa.  No way, no how!   ;)

-- Old English Litany