• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:08:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 46
Total: 46
Google (3)
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Hero Points

Started by Bynw, January 17, 2018, 03:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laurna

Now wait a minute, what is this about the character advancements.

Are you saying that we don't need the 6 successes and 6 failures?

That we no longer "learn by practicing"?

The only way to learn a new trait is 10 experience points, and a talk with the GM.

Is that right?
May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on July 05, 2018, 11:52:17 AM
Giving out Experince points needs to be uncomplicated.

Since experience points are worth a little less than the hero point system had been. Meaning you need more of them, than how about this:
Earn 1 experience point for 1d6 roll=6
Earn 2 experience points for 2d6 roll = 6,6
Earn 3 experience points for 3d6 roll = 6,6,6
These we still give to ourselves as we roll during gaming/writing times.

Then every Sunday during chat time. Bynw can award additional experience points that he feels our characters are worthy of, for what they have accomplished during that week. That would essentially be our end of session. Then we start a new session after chat is over.

Looks like we are going to need a lot of experience points, so I thank you in advance and hope to get some more.

I could go with this method. It does make it easy to count. And easy to award since we don't have typical game sessions playing by post on a message board. And I was planning on adding something to Sunday's as well. So it works out nicely.

But the dice roll has to be a Test or Save made by and for the character and their player.

Not any rolls made by or for NPCs or other characters that are being played in absentia. And not for rolls made to determine random events for the PCs. Like checking to see if character will do something in a specific situation.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Evie

Since experience points are worth a little less than the hero point system had been. Meaning you need more of them, than how about this:

Not sure if this is a good idea or not.  For instance, Aliset is fully trained, so she rolls 2d6 for most things, but IIRC Darcy and Columcil are not fully trained (Darcy did not even know he was Deryni until recently), so they can only roll 1d6 to use their powers, IIRC.  On one hand, it is easier to roll one 6 on a single die than it is to roll all sixes on two or three dice, so that would give characters with less training a slight edge to help grow their skills quicker.  That would be the upside.  Aliset and Wash wouldn't directly benefit as much, since our chances of rolling two sixes on 2d6 are fewer than rolling a six on a single die, but having our less-trained companions able to raise their skills more quickly would be an indirect benefit to them, since having a stronger party helps the whole team.  The downside I'm seeing here is that if villains get eps too, I suspect Valerian would roll 3d6 on several things, so if he gets lucky and gets all sixes...well, do we really want to give him the advantage of being potentially able to suddenly earn 3 eps with a single roll?  :D 
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on July 05, 2018, 11:57:55 AM
Now wait a minute, what is this about the character advancements.

Are you saying that we don't need the 6 successes and 6 failures?

That we no longer "learn by practicing"?

The only way to learn a new trait is 10 experience points, and a talk with the GM.

Is that right?

Since their weren't any official rules at the time, and advancement is needed really. No one stays static. We had to borrow or make something up of our own. So we first borrowed the six and six. Then made up the Hero Point method and gave it that ability as well.

But now that there is an official system we should use it. But if there is enough interest in this, we might have it too. But it will get modified.

Bynw

Quote from: Evie on July 05, 2018, 12:42:28 PM

Not sure if this is a good idea or not.  For instance, Aliset is fully trained, so she rolls 2d6 for most things, but IIRC Darcy and Columcil are not fully trained (Darcy did not even know he was Deryni until recently), so they can only roll 1d6 to use their powers, IIRC.  On one hand, it is easier to roll one 6 on a single die than it is to roll all sixes on two or three dice, so that would give characters with less training a slight edge to help grow their skills quicker.  That would be the upside.  Aliset and Wash wouldn't directly benefit as much, since our chances of rolling two sixes on 2d6 are fewer than rolling a six on a single die, but having our less-trained companions able to raise their skills more quickly would be an indirect benefit to them, since having a stronger party helps the whole team.  The downside I'm seeing here is that if villains get eps too, I suspect Valerian would roll 3d6 on several things, so if he gets lucky and gets all sixes...well, do we really want to give him the advantage of being potentially able to suddenly earn 3 eps with a single roll?  :D

Fortunately NPCs dont earn XP like players. Valerian gets stuff because the GM says he gets stuff or a player running him at the time says he gets stuff because of who and what he is.

Jerusha

Darcy should get Experience Points for rolling ones; he has lots of experience with rolling ones.  Sigh....
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

This all confuses me anyway so I am happy to go with what seems agrreable to mist though I agree with Bynw that if there are rules we should abide by them. Columcil would  like several ex gratia points for being alone with Jaxom and not hitting him.  Though he could hit him before he heals him. Hmm....
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

If we make a session being Monday to Sunday. That could work out too and just use the regular rules for awarding XP by the session. Most game sessions are once a week or so unless you are diehard and game every day. Not that I would know anyone like that ...

So the official rules are:

Experience Points
At the end of every session, the GM will award experience.
For the GM: Players should receive 1-3 experience per session, awarded to "the group as a whole," meaning everyone in the group gets the same amount of experience for their individual character.
Experience is generally awarded as follows:
• 1 for the group as a whole for good roleplay.
• 1 for the group as a whole for defeating enemies (not per enemy, just if they defeated any enemies).
• 1 for the group as a whole for advancing the plot and their goals.
• 1 for the group as a whole if players contributed to the out of game enjoyment of the session (snacks, music, carpooling, hosting at their home).

Naturally we can't use the last one since we are all playing from different locations and some of them are a bit far apart from each other. But we could add:
• 1 for the group as a whole for surviving.
• 1 for individual players as the GM feels like giving out on his whim.
• 1 for one individual player from a random (chosen by the GM) player as they see fit to give but they can't give it to themselves.