• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:14:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 206
Total: 206

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Squirrel Meat

Started by Elkhound, April 28, 2009, 01:28:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elkhound

Someone just gave me some, and I have no idea of how to cook it.

Suggestions?

thistlethorne

garbage can -- ick!  Sorry, just my idea.
I believe cats to be spirit come to earth.
 A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud
   without coming through.
                   --Jules Verne

thistlethorne

Okay, my roommate just said that you treat it like chicken.  Talk about cliche, but that's what she says.
I believe cats to be spirit come to earth.
 A cat, I am sure, could walk on a cloud
   without coming through.
                   --Jules Verne

DesertRose

I never realized there was enough meat on a squirrel to cook.  :P
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

jojo

Marinate overnight in ranch dressing.  Had a friend whose husband hunted and he served it braised with onions ... was pretty good.

Elkhound

Quote from: DesertRose on April 28, 2009, 08:02:30 PM
I never realized there was enough meat on a squirrel to cook.  :P

Around here it is considered a bit of a delicacy.

I've decided to make Squirrel Cacciatore, using the pressure cooker.

Elkhound

Had Squirrel Cacciatore for dinner. It was rather good. Not unlike dark-meat chicken, but with a certain nut-like flavor. Any of my hunting friends who have some squirrel meat to dispose of will certainly find a willing recipient in me.

Zane (my cat) liked it, too.

Mak

Well, if those pesky squirrels don't stay off the bird feeders and down on the food I provide for them, I know what to do with them now!   LOL
-Mak

DesertRose

Quote from: Elkhound on April 29, 2009, 11:50:12 PM
Zane (my cat) liked it, too.

Well, if it passed the kitty test, then it must be okay.  There is a joke in my house that if Tessa (my oldest cat, nicknamed Captain Nom and Garbage Gut for her tendency to eat damn near anything that doesn't eat her first) won't eat something, it must be poisoned.

Come to think, my oldest brother used to hunt squirrel.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Elkhound

He gave me another consignment--five squirrels, two one-pound packets of ground venison, and two venison steaks.  (All frozen.)

I'm going to make squirrel curry and either squirrel paprikarsh or écureuil au vin or eichhörnchenpfeffer.

The venison steak I will marinate in a Dr. Pepper with a little Worchestershire Sauce.  I'll then sautee some onions with garlic & ginger, remove the onions, brown the steak, add the onion mixture back, pour a can of diced tomatoes over, cover and let simmer.

I'll probably use the ground venison for meatloaf.

DesertRose

You can make burgers out of the ground venison too, and the steaks can be cut up and used for kebabs, if you're so inclined.  The last time I ate venison, it was at a friend's house (her husband was a bow-hunter), and we had venison kebabs grilled over charcoal.  Yum!  :)

derynifanatic64

Sounds very delicious!!  When's dinner being served?
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Elkhound

Did the rest of the squirrel tonight.  In the pressure cooker I sauteed some pearl onions withth garlic and bacon, then added the squirrels and browned them.  I then added a large can of mushrooms and a bottle of Cabernet, closed the pressure cooker, and let it go for 20 min.  I then released the pressure, fished out the meat, removed the bones, and returned it to the cooker with a packet of frozen mixed vegetables, closed the lid and processed it for five more minutes.  Served over a mixture of brown & white rice.  Very good; Zane thought so, too.

DesertRose

It does sound good.  I'm glad it passed the Zane test.  :D

derynifanatic64

Glad to hear that Zane is doing well too.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!