• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:56:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,480
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 48
Total: 48

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The Deryni blood in the Haldane line

Started by BishopCullen, June 23, 2007, 02:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JulianneTK

Yup. Jehana has a child with Barrett. I looked it up in the Codex.

derynifanatic64

The Codex said that Jehana and Barrett will have a daughter together.  With a former Queen of Gwynedd for a mother and a Camberian Councillor as a father, that little girl will most likely be a powerful Deryni mage (or whatever the female equivalent for mage is) when she grows up.
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

tenworld

> "whatever the female equivalent for mage is when she grows up."

Magette

Womage

Lady Mage

Magess

No P.C. in those times :)

Evie

Quote from: tenworld on November 22, 2010, 07:07:31 PM
> "whatever the female equivalent for mage is when she grows up."

Magette

Womage

Lady Mage

Magess

No P.C. in those times :)

Magnet.   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

I think the word you are looking for is 'sorceress' or 'enchantress'; or, if she goes bad, 'witch.'

derynifanatic64

Or what the Codex would call Charissa and other Deryni who use their powers for evil--"Spawn of the Devil".

Sorceress/Enchantress should be used for female Deryni who use their powers for good.

tenworld

I wasnt looking for a word, I was just having fun with the English  language.

besides "sorceress" is the exact female form of "sorcerer" and Mage implies more scientist than magician, deriving I believe from Magi, who were astrologists when that was respectable.

Evie

Well, if you consider that Deryni magic is the "respectable" sort (even if some folk like Loris think otherwise), and in a way the arcane workings could be looked at as a sort of science/art, maybe a feminine version of "magus" would be in order?  Though I'm not the Latin scholar around here, so someone else would need to weigh in on what that might be.

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on November 24, 2010, 04:00:42 PM
Well, if you consider that Deryni magic is the "respectable" sort (even if some folk like Loris think otherwise), and in a way the arcane workings could be looked at as a sort of science/art, maybe a feminine version of "magus" would be in order?  Though I'm not the Latin scholar around here, so someone else would need to weigh in on what that might be.

In Latin it would be 'Maga.' 

vajewa

Quote from: Elkhound on November 30, 2010, 09:45:50 PM

Not being a Latin scholar, we could turn Christendom on its head by having Magae instead of Magi.  Wouldn't that just make Lorus', et al, head spin?

Valentius,
whose Leukemia is STILL in remission and
   is going back to work soon

derynifanatic64

Quote from: Valentius on February 25, 2011, 10:26:43 PM

Valentius,

Glad to see things are going well.

Evie

--WARNING!!!--

Elkhound

Quote from: Valentius on February 25, 2011, 10:26:43 PM
Quote from: Elkhound on November 30, 2010, 09:45:50 PM

Not being a Latin scholar, we could turn Christendom on its head by having Magae instead of Magi.  Wouldn't that just make Lorus', et al, head spin?

Valentius,

Masculine plural is used for a mixed group, so it isn't impossible that there was at least one woman among the Magi.  We don't know how many, just that there were at least three (ancient Greek had both a dual and plural; modern Greek, I understand, uses the dual only for things that come in pairs [shoes, gloves, eyes, kidneys, etc.]), and three gifts are mentioned.

[/quote]

Raksha the Demon

Quote from: BalanceTheEnergies on January 31, 2009, 08:33:36 PM
QuoteMaybe the 3rd Childe Morgan book will go into at least a little of how she [Jehana] ended up loathing what she was so much. 

There's a allusion to a fanatical nun/mother superior in her educational background in The King's Justice (I forget precisely where). And doesn't Azim regret not spending more time in the Bregmani court when he bumps into her chaplain?

I thought that the allusion to the fanatical mother superior in Jehana's background was in the Codex:  The Princess Jehane was educated at the Convent of Saint-Elie near MIllefleurs; the Abbess of this establishment, one Mother Rohane, was a notorious Deryni-hater. 

I don't recall any mention of Jehana being tutored by someone who hated Deryni in the books themselves.  As I've said elsewhere, it's a bit odd that the King of Bremagne, who seems to have had no problems with Brion's Deryni page keeping company with his two younger daughters, and who married a woman who was a Deryni herself (or blocked, and descended from Deryni who passed down the St. Gabriel medallion/prayer beads), would have allowed his oldest daughter to come under the influence of a Mother Superior who was known to hate Deryni.  Jehana is referred to as a "full Deryni" in Deryni Rising, but no one, including the Camberian Council, seems to have any inkling that both her parents were Deryni, until Jehana cuts loose at Kelson's coronation. 

I certainly wish that The King's Deryni had shed more light on how Jehana came to hate and fear the Deryni, but it really did not; since it was from Alaric's point of view and he didn't see much of her or talk with her at that time.

Does anyone know if the Codex is considered completely canonical; and to what extent KK contributed to this great reference tome?

DesertRose

Quote from: Raksha the Demon on April 05, 2018, 08:55:51 PM
Quote from: BalanceTheEnergies on January 31, 2009, 08:33:36 PM
QuoteMaybe the 3rd Childe Morgan book will go into at least a little of how she [Jehana] ended up loathing what she was so much. 

There's a allusion to a fanatical nun/mother superior in her educational background in The King's Justice (I forget precisely where). And doesn't Azim regret not spending more time in the Bregmani court when he bumps into her chaplain?

I thought that the allusion to the fanatical mother superior in Jehana's background was in the Codex:  The Princess Jehane was educated at the Convent of Saint-Elie near MIllefleurs; the Abbess of this establishment, one Mother Rohane, was a notorious Deryni-hater. 

I don't recall any mention of Jehana being tutored by someone who hated Deryni in the books themselves.  As I've said elsewhere, it's a bit odd that the King of Bremagne, who seems to have had no problems with Brion's Deryni page keeping company with his two younger daughters, and who married a woman who was a Deryni herself (or blocked, and descended from Deryni who passed down the St. Gabriel medallion/prayer beads), would have allowed his oldest daughter to come under the influence of a Mother Superior who was known to hate Deryni.  Jehana is referred to as a "full Deryni" in Deryni Rising, but no one, including the Camberian Council, seems to have any inkling that both her parents were Deryni, until Jehana cuts loose at Kelson's coronation. 

I certainly wish that The King's Deryni had shed more light on how Jehana came to hate and fear the Deryni, but it really did not; since it was from Alaric's point of view and he didn't see much of her or talk with her at that time.

Does anyone know if the Codex is considered completely canonical; and to what extent KK contributed to this great reference tome?

As far as Codex is concerned, the general consensus is that it's mostly canonical in that the major points (most dates of birth/marriage/death, and dates of major battles and so forth) are correct, but KK is fond of calling certain additions to the Codex "Rob-isms," (a reference to her co-author on the project, Rob Reginald) because he went off on flights of fancy at times, mostly with minor points like names of people who never appeared in the canonical novels at the time they wrote Codex and also with things like names of illnesses that caused the deaths of minor or unseen characters.

Rob Reginald passed away a few years ago.  (The forum post about his death is here:  http://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,1170.0.html )

At the time of his death, I believe that he and KK were considering a third edition of Codex, possibly available on a static website that could be updated as needed and would also (ideally) be searchable, since it is an awful lot of information, after all.  I'm not entirely sure where that project is at the moment.  It seems like there was a concern about his widow being able to locate her husband's notes and materials and get them to KK?  And there's also the fact that KK's non-writing life has been throwing a lot of obstacles at her, so I really don't know.

I'd like to see at least an e-edition of Codex, because most e-readers/apps will allow you to search, and that would make life a lot easier for research nerds like me.  :D
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)