• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:34:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 79
Total: 80

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Hero Points

Started by Bynw, January 17, 2018, 03:07:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

I'm moving the Hero Points to their own topic!

The list and cost is subject to change
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

Bynw

Here is what you can spend Hero Points on:

Spend 1 Hero Point and get ---
An extra die on Initiative Tests
Reduce injury by 1 Hit Point (you can do this even at 0 Hit Points)
You succeed on any Test with a roll of 4 or greater. Or if the success is already at that level it succeeds at the next lower pip.

Spend 4 Hero Points and get --
Gain a permanent +1 to Hit Point total or +5 feet on Move

Spend 6 Hero Points and get --
New Weapon Proficiancy or New Weapon Mastery

Spend 8 Hero Points and get --
A new Trait

Laurna

Quote from: Bynw on January 17, 2018, 03:08:02 PM

A new Trait

Is this seperate from getting a new trait by 6 successes and 6 failures. Which would mean it is automatic.

I do hope you do NOT mean that you need both the 8 hero points AND the 6 successes and 6 failures.

May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

Quote from: Laurna on January 17, 2018, 03:37:11 PM
Quote from: Bynw on January 17, 2018, 03:08:02 PM

A new Trait

Is this seperate from getting a new trait by 6 successes and 6 failures. Which would mean it is automatic.

I do hope you do NOT mean that you need both the 8 hero points AND the 6 successes and 6 failures.

You DO NOT NEED BOTH. There are just 2 paths available.

Jerusha

Bynw, are you tracking the successes and failures to get a new trait?

(Yes, Darcy is eyeing the protective trait.  Who would have guessed that?)
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Bynw

Quote from: Jerusha on February 07, 2018, 07:07:53 PM
Bynw, are you tracking the successes and failures to get a new trait?

(Yes, Darcy is eyeing the protective trait.  Who would have guessed that?)

I'll only start tracking if I know after being explicitly told you are taking that route.

Jerusha

Hmm.  Never mind, but thanks.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Laurna

I desided to track hero points, coins and learning new trait points on my character sheet. Just modify that page as you go.  I have been using the date,but I am now thinking it would be better to track by using the post number.

Evie

Thanks for the reminder about the hero points! I had to go back through old PMs to find Bynw's message on how many I have!   ;D  But I like the idea of keeping up with them on the character template, so I've added a line for that.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Jerusha

That works for me as well.  Though at the moment I'm not very heroic.   :)

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Can't remember how many hero points we start with, or have now. I know that Columcil has used two.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Bynw

Quote from: revanne on February 13, 2018, 04:11:45 AM
Can't remember how many hero points we start with, or have now. I know that Columcil has used two.

I dont have them with me at work. I will have to check when I get home later. I will send you a Private Message.

Bynw

In the original version of Tiny Dungeon, which is the ruleset we use in this game, it didn't have any way to gain experience or advance your characters beyond the initial Traits.

So I incorporated some advancement rules that another homebrewed Tiny Dungeon campaign used. That was the fail 6 times and succeed 6 times before you get a new Trait.

I also incorporated Hero Points, which are used in a lot of RPGs under various names, to help fight back against the "Torenthi dice rolls."

However there is a revised edition of Tiny Dungeons out now. And it does have official advancement rules. Using the age old (in RPGs) rules of Experience Points. I am going to have us adapt to the official system which wasn't that far off from what we were using with the Hero Points actually. And I'm going to incorporate some of our Hero Point rules into the Experience Point system.

So that means. Hero Points are no more. No one has any, no one gets any. They simply no longer exist. However everyone does have Experience Points now instead. And everyone will be getting more Experience Points in the future too.

The cost for things in Experience Points is a little higher than what we had in Hero Points but everyone will have more Experience Points anyway.

Here is the new break down:

HOUSE RULES
2 Experience Points = Add 1 die to Initiative Tests. If the character already has Advantage, they do gain a 4th die but only the top 3 dice are used to determine Initiative.

3 Experience Points = This lowers the Test success threshold by 1 point. Thus instead of succeeding on a 5 or 6, you can succeed on a 4, 5, or 6. as an example. You may spend up to 6 Experience Points thus dropping the Test success threshold by 2 points. *NOTE* the success number cannot be lower than 3. If by spending Experience Points in this manner would lower the threshold to less than 3, then excess becomes extra dice. Example. If your Test would normally succeed on a 4 or higher and you spend 6 Experience Points it would drop it only to 3 and you would get 1 extra die to roll.

3 Experience Points = Once per combat, you can declare that the wound suffered was superficial and remove 1 hit point of damage.

4 Experience Points = Make a small change to their location (finding an unlocked window, finding something to help the current situation that would be reasonably available.)

OFFICIAL RULES
6 Experience Points = Increase your Hit Points by +1 or Movement by +5 feet

8 Experience Points = A new Proficient or Mastered Weapon

10 Experience Points = A new Trait, GM's permission on some Traits is required

EARNING MORE EXPERIENCE POINTS
In a face to face game, I would hand out Experience Points at the end of every session. Since we have a play-by-post game, it is difficult to know when a session would begin and end. So I am open to suggestions on this part. I am still thinking of the best way to do award Experience Points in this type of gaming.

DesertRose

Maybe award Experience Points when a player character does something particularly well or has a really good dice outcome?  Like, on a 2d6 roll, if they get two sixes?

I'm thinking you could set up a system re: dice roll outcomes but also award points for an especially good action (at GM discretion).  And/or maybe every third post a player writes, the player character gets one experience point?  (Or however many posts.  I just picked three out of the air.)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

Giving out Experince points needs to be uncomplicated.

Since experience points are worth a little less than the hero point system had been. Meaning you need more of them, than how about this:
Earn 1 experience point for 1d6 roll=6
Earn 2 experience points for 2d6 roll = 6,6
Earn 3 experience points for 3d6 roll = 6,6,6
These we still give to ourselves as we roll during gaming/writing times.

Then every Sunday during chat time. Bynw can award additional experience points that he feels our characters are worthy of, for what they have accomplished during that week. That would essentially be our end of session. Then we start a new session after chat is over.

Looks like we are going to need a lot of experience points, so I thank you in advance and hope to get some more.