• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 361
Total: 361
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 06:19:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Denis Arilan real life parallel

Started by Marko, January 15, 2020, 08:52:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko

While listening to Catholic radio this morning, I heard an announcement that made me think of Bishop Denis Arilan.  A 38 year old priest in the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church was consecrated a Bishop in that Church, making him the youngest Bishop in the Catholic Church.  The Ukrainian Church is in full communion with Rome.  As soon as I heard it, Denis Arilan instantly popped in my head.  Has a real life event made a Deryni character pop up in anyone else's head?

Laurna

Marco, I no very little about church workings, but I am glad to see that it brought you to think about Denis Arilan.  I think in medieval times men did things at a younger age then they would do today. but bravo for the new young bishop.
I am not sure about real life experiences which would remind me of the Deryni, except I was always intrigued by Alaric's Healing and my career drifted into the medical field. But I do find that I often compare other fiction and gaming experiences back to the Deryni who were my favorite love of heros and magic. In D&D and World of Warcraft, I nearly always play a mage. Of course in those games mages can not heal. So sometimes I play a Druid so that I may cast magic and heal. LOL. pure escapism.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

This is very personal but I hope you will indulge me.

I was ordained priest in the Church of England in 2000, only six years after the first women priests, and although I didn't face being poisoned with Merasha or burnt at the stake I have faced my share of hostility. I have to live with knowing that some within my own church believe that I am by nature incapable of receiving the sacrament of ordination. So I can really identify with Duncan's heart-searchings in DC and HD and the scene when he kneels before Bradene in QfSC and his priesthood is finally vaildated always brings me to tears.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Here across the pond we were ahead of you as the first women priests were ordained in the Episcopal church in 1974. One of my favorite priests is a woman and I love her dearly. I find it hard to believe that some still oppose women as priests in 2020. They have so much to offer. 
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance