• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 03:31:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 72
Total: 72
Google (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Duchad Mor

Started by DoctorM, July 09, 2023, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorM

Just as a question-- and since I don't have a Codex --what does anyone out there over the aether know about the Torenthi general Duchad Mor? I know he led a failed invasion of Gwynedd c. 945, but what else is known about him? Does anyone recall the name of his last campaign?

Evie

From the Codex:

"Duchad Mor [accent over the o in Mor], Count of Tigre. He is also called 'Durchad' in some records. He was born in Torenth on the XVIIth day of April in the Year of Our Lord 952, being the eldest son and heir of Angus I Mor Count of Tigre and Messalina Lady Rhorau, and a ninth-generation descendant in the male line from Rhori Mor Prince of Kheldour through his second son, Lord Diarmid, who continued to use the surname Mor to distinguish his family from the elder branch, the MacRhoris. Lord Duchad Mor intermarried with the Princess Ariella daughter of Imre II Pretender of Gwynedd on the XXXIst day of May in the year 966, and by her he had identical twin sons: the Hereditary Prince Festil Angus later Count of Tigre, who was betrayed and murdered at Marbury on the penultimate day of August in the year 994 by his jealous mistress, Amandine Lady d'Alver, who mistook his brother for Festil and killed him first, and then poisoned Festil and herself in despair--by this Lady the Prince Festil sired a bastard son, Festus Baron d'Amandine, who later married and left issue, but without dynastic rights; and the Prince Blaine Imre, murdered with his brother, who intermarried with Corvina Lady Zevenden, and by her had one surviving child: the Countess AriElinora later Duchess of Tolan and titular Queen of Gwynedd in succession to her cousine germaine, the Princess Imriella.

After his wife died in childbirth on the XXIInd day of March in the year 967, Duchad intermarried secondly with Saraid Lady Aileach on the XVth day of October in that year, and by her he had children: the Lord Angus Duchad later Angus II Count of Tigre in succession to his half-brother, Prince Festil; The Lady Niamhessa; the Lord Magogue; the Lord Rhori; the Lady Samhaoir.

The Lord Duchad succeeded his father as Count of Tigre in Torenth on the VIIIth day of May in the year 979. In the year 985 the Pretender Imre II enlisted his son-in-law for a IIIrd try at the throne of Gwynedd, and named Duchad Mor Commander of an army then being assembled in Eastmarch. Mercenaries were saught from the IV quarters of the world, including the Forcinn States, Orsal, The Connait, and others. The Count of Tigre had developed a new theory of warfare, whereby he assembled an elite corps of highly armored infantry which would be held in reserve to strike at the weakest part of the enemy lines once they had been softened through repeated charges of the cavalry and the massive use of spears and arrows, or, if necessary, used to defend the Festil's own line if its center should rupture. The city of Rengarth, Imre's capital in Eastern Gwynedd, was fortified with a moat, pits, and stakes. The Pretender's grandson and heir, Prince Imre III, was declared of age a year ahead of his time, then knighted and ennobled as Duke of Eastmarch and sent home to Torenth for his own safety.

The advancing Gwyneddan army was spotted on the XXXth day of May in that year. The first clash between the II forces took place on the plain in front of the city on the IInd day of June. The Haldane's main attack was stopped by Duchad's armored infantry, but when the Count's cinch suddenly broke, causing him to fall and be trampled in the melee, his army ran for the safety of the town. The Count was XXXIII years of age at his death, and was succeeded in Tigre by his eldest son, the Prince Festil. R.I.P. ['Swords Against the Marluk']."

Excerpt quoted from Codex Derynianus, 2nd edition, pp 83-84.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

tmcd

Well, that was a soap opera and a half!

Evie

Yeah, one of the joys of the Codex is that you learn a lot about all sorts of backstory.   ;D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

DoctorM

Quote from: Evie on July 09, 2023, 05:01:19 PMFrom the Codex:

"Duchad Mor [accent over the o in Mor], Count of Tigre. He is also called 'Durchad' in some records. He was born in Torenth on the XVIIth day of April in the Year of Our Lord 952, being the eldest son and heir of Angus I Mor Count of Tigre and Messalina Lady Rhorau, and a ninth-generation descendant in the male line from Rhori Mor Prince of Kheldour through his second son, Lord Diarmid, who continued to use the surname Mor to distinguish his family from the elder branch, the MacRhoris. Lord Duchad Mor intermarried with the Princess Ariella daughter of Imre II Pretender of Gwynedd on the XXXIst day of May in the year 966, and by her he had identical twin sons: the Hereditary Prince Festil Angus later Count of Tigre, who was betrayed and murdered at Marbury on the penultimate day of August in the year 994 by his jealous mistress, Amandine Lady d'Alver, who mistook his brother for Festil and killed him first, and then poisoned Festil and herself in despair--by this Lady the Prince Festil sired a bastard son, Festus Baron d'Amandine, who later married and left issue, but without dynastic rights; and the Prince Blaine Imre, murdered with his brother, who intermarried with Corvina Lady Zevenden, and by her had one surviving child: the Countess AriElinora later Duchess of Tolan and titular Queen of Gwynedd in succession to her cousine germaine, the Princess Imriella.

After his wife died in childbirth on the XXIInd day of March in the year 967, Duchad intermarried secondly with Saraid Lady Aileach on the XVth day of October in that year, and by her he had children: the Lord Angus Duchad later Angus II Count of Tigre in succession to his half-brother, Prince Festil; The Lady Niamhessa; the Lord Magogue; the Lord Rhori; the Lady Samhaoir.

The Lord Duchad succeeded his father as Count of Tigre in Torenth on the VIIIth day of May in the year 979. In the year 985 the Pretender Imre II enlisted his son-in-law for a IIIrd try at the throne of Gwynedd, and named Duchad Mor Commander of an army then being assembled in Eastmarch. Mercenaries were saught from the IV quarters of the world, including the Forcinn States, Orsal, The Connait, and others. The Count of Tigre had developed a new theory of warfare, whereby he assembled an elite corps of highly armored infantry which would be held in reserve to strike at the weakest part of the enemy lines once they had been softened through repeated charges of the cavalry and the massive use of spears and arrows, or, if necessary, used to defend the Festil's own line if its center should rupture. The city of Rengarth, Imre's capital in Eastern Gwynedd, was fortified with a moat, pits, and stakes. The Pretender's grandson and heir, Prince Imre III, was declared of age a year ahead of his time, then knighted and ennobled as Duke of Eastmarch and sent home to Torenth for his own safety.

The advancing Gwyneddan army was spotted on the XXXth day of May in that year. The first clash between the II forces took place on the plain in front of the city on the IInd day of June. The Haldane's main attack was stopped by Duchad's armored infantry, but when the Count's cinch suddenly broke, causing him to fall and be trampled in the melee, his army ran for the safety of the town. The Count was XXXIII years of age at his death, and was succeeded in Tigre by his eldest son, the Prince Festil. R.I.P. ['Swords Against the Marluk']."

Excerpt quoted from Codex Derynianus, 2nd edition, pp 83-84.

Thank you much! And it *is* quite the soap opera!

DoctorM

Quote from: Evie on July 09, 2023, 05:25:57 PMYeah, one of the joys of the Codex is that you learn a lot about all sorts of backstory.   ;D

I always love backstory!

Laurna

Some day, Some day, I will finish my Fan fic story Pretender's Gambit, The second story in that trilogy is called Dance with a Tiger, I have it written, But not edited. I think you can guess that the adversary will be the Count of Tigre. but that doesn't mean that you can not write about him too, Enjoy.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DoctorM

Quote from: Laurna on July 09, 2023, 10:38:54 PMSome day, Some day, I will finish my Fan fic story Pretender's Gambit, The second story in that trilogy is called Dance with a Tiger, I have it written, But not edited. I think you can guess that the adversary will be the Count of Tigre. but that doesn't mean that you can not write about him too, Enjoy.

I think Durchad Mor will be one of the figures from the past-- like the first Festil --that Christian admires...and writes about.

Laurna

Just a hint, I have accounts of Duchard holding siege of Castle Lochalyn of Eastmarch in 983, Negotiating with the Duke of the independent Principality of Corwyn in 984, and of course, leading a special cavalry army at Rengarth in 985.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DoctorM

Quote from: Laurna on July 09, 2023, 11:38:56 PMJust a hint, I have accounts of Duchard holding siege of Castle Lochalyn of Eastmarch in 983, Negotiating with the Duke of the independent Principality of Corwyn in 984, and of course, leading a special cavalry army at Rengarth in 985.

Merci! Good to know!