• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 02:56:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,479
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 101
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 54
Total: 54

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Deryni Gaming

Started by Bynw, September 18, 2020, 02:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deryni gaming in 2021

Use the same rule set that was used for Ghosts of the Past
2 (18.2%)
Use a more D&D like rule set
2 (18.2%)
Use Fudge the rules for the Deryni Adventure Game
1 (9.1%)
I dont care what rule set it uses. Let's play!
4 (36.4%)
Set the game in Katherine's 11 Kingdoms (any time during the novel series)
3 (27.3%)
Set the game in Katherine's 11 Kingdoms (modern or future time period)
1 (9.1%)
Set the game in Katherine's 11 Kingdoms (the distance past)
2 (18.2%)
Set the game in Katherine's 11 Kingdoms (continue the story started in Ghosts of the Past)
1 (9.1%)
Set the game some place else that have Deryni or Deryni-like people but not in Katherine's world
3 (27.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: December 27, 2020, 01:16:16 PM

Bynw

Hi all.

For those that might not have noticed we have been running a play-by-post Deryni RPG at https://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php/topic,2134.0.html for nearly 3 years now. This adventure story is wrapping up soon.

After it does. I'm going to take a little break but plan on coming up with another Deryni based RPG for 2021.

So I'm conducting this little poll to gauge some interest.

There are a total of 9 questions. Some about the game system and some about the setting for the next game. You can chose only 2 options. Generally that is 1 option for the game system (the rules) and one for the setting.

Thanks!
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

DerynifanK

I'm not a gamer and have never played any other game. I don't know the rules of D&D or any other rules so I don't know how helpful my input is.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Angsthase

For me, the key to being comfortable with a rule set is probably a question of it being well-documented.
I know where to find documentation for 5e D&D, and the Standard Rules Document is free . . . though it may need significant flavour adaptation for the magic system to work with Deryni mechanics.

Laurna

I think the next Deryni game will depend upon whether the next players are gamers or writers. I think when the next people sign up to play, the intention needs to be set that they are either writing full scenes and actions, or are they gaming with only their character actions and reactions. That would be a very different type of game than we have in GOTP.
At the beginning of GOTP, I thought we were going to play a short D&D type scenario. It wasn't until the first scene was written that we took off as a story instead. And that of course is because the four players and later five players were writers and not gamers. I can not tell you how much joy I got out of writing a collaborative story/game with the people that I have written this with. How often does something like this last nearly 3 years and find an ending. Well, we are really close to an ending.  and I love what we have created together. LOL
I think I may sit on the sideline for the next game and watch to see how the new players want to play it. That should be fun.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Bynw

From a gamemaster's stand point it was very helpful having a bunch of writers players. they took care of NPCs and other events that happened in and around the characters. made it feel very much alive. in fact they drove the story. i had to steer it a few times to get us to where we needed to go but thanks for drivin'

DerynifanK

I joined the game late when you called for additional players. It has been a great experience and I have learned so much from the other participants. But I do think, as I said before, that storytellers and gamers have very different attitudes towards the characters and what is going on. I think that it would be good, in the next game to have it clear from the start whether they are signing up to play a gome or to tell a story. Very different experiences.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

I have really enjoyed being part of the story-telling - I am frustrated that it will have ended just as what has been an impossibly hectic and stressful part of my life gets easier. However all things do come to an end. I am happy to think that another game might be different - I am not a gamer and might need lots of help with understanding the process in the beginning. I cannot promise that the writer would not take over however unless clear constraints are set.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Demercia

A slightly different perspective on the game.  I have really enjoyed watching it develop and it has been fascinating to see different story telling approaches.   The phrase Torenthi dice has entered my vocabulary ( hopes Liam is not listening).  The only downside has been that there are lots of other stories which our story tellers have had to turn their attention from.  I'm hoping they might use the break.......😀
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Bynw

I think that was caused by the personalities of the players themselves. In any RPG you can get hooked and sink yourself deep into it and forgetting about everything else. But with a play-by-post game such as with our Ghosts of the Past it is designed to be slower than a regular game and allow for time to do other things.

Laurna

"Do other things" the GM says. LOL

Do you have any idea how all encompassing this story has been in my life for the last 2+years. Even when I am doing "other things" The back of my mind is constantly running on this. "How shall I respond to what my companions do next?" I have mostly tried to write a scene in about two- three hours once a week.  but that does not mean your mind is not working on the details the whole week before you put fingers to the keyboard. Also we have become very collaborative on the back side of the game where no one else sees us. I think we spend an hour or more a day sharing ideas and reading each other's scenes. It is for the joy of it, I assure you. I wouldn't do it if I didn't love it. I do not know if any other game will get as involved as we have. But if you do, I hope the next players enjoy it too.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

I must confess, more than once I have been baking muffins while running through a potential "Darcy" scene in my head and had to stop to ask myself:   "Did I had put in the teaspoon of baking powder?"  Flat muffins are SO disappointing.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

Nezz