• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,569
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 337
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 101
Total: 101
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 25, 2024, 04:52:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Crossover for a disgruntled Duke

Started by revanne, January 02, 2020, 05:22:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

9th Day of Christmas in the year of our Lord 1143

Rhemuth Castle

Alaric had been in a bad mood all day. Visibly bad enough that by mid-afternoon Queen Araxie had been minded to take pity on her friend and loyal confidante and decree that Richenda together with her daughters was required to attend on Her Majesty in the Queen's Tower to discuss matters of dress pertaining to the forthcoming Twelfth Night Court and that the ladies would be dining there in private.

The nobler part of Kelson approved this entirely characteristic kindness on the part of his lady; the baser part of his nature muttered darkly to the Earl of Marley,

"All well and good, but where are we supposed to take refuge from the walking thundercloud?"

Sir Brendan, though in the years since his Knighting he had done much on his own account to restore honour to the name of Coris, was still inclined to give his step-father the benefit of the doubt and then some. Today, however, his sense of obligation had been strained to breaking point. Twice he had found Kelric near to tears after a rebuke from his father, his nerves already strained by the prospect of his own knighting in a far too rapidly approaching ceremony in which he was sure he would disgrace his entire family. After that Brendan had felt constrained to remain a protective shadow to his half-brother. It was not that he generally objected to Kelric's company, but the days after Christmas, where a certain loosening of protocol held sway were an ideal time to practice one's skill in the early rituals of courtship, and having an adolescent in tow who was prone in turn to nervous chatter or sullen silence, did not aid his chances.

Courtesy would have demanded that he smile acquiescence to his King and maybe mutter polite nothings that could be taken for agreement without committing him against his step-father. Brendan was however becoming known as a man of wise judgement that belied his years and his reply consisted of two words.

"Uncle Duncan."

Seeing a half-understanding question in the King's eyes, Brendan half-turned, taking the King with him, so that their words could not be heard by Kelric before continuing:

"My lady mother always says when Father has a mood upon him - and I beg Your Majesty to understand that I speak as a loyal son of both my parents - either send him for a ride with Sean or find Duncan and a decent bottle of Vezaire Port. Since Sean is acting as Father's Lieutenant in Coroth, besides which the wind is howling like a Ban Sidhe out there, Uncle Duncan it is. Have I Your Majesty's leave to set forth on my errand of mercy."

He bowed, the heady sense of conspiracy making the obeisance just fractionally deeper than it ought. Kelson bowed his own head in return, though more to hide the smile that he was having trouble in restraining.

"Granted with your king's most profound gratitude. If it isn't impertinent to do so for a bishop, I'll pray for God's mercy upon Duncan's soul. And tell him to use my private withdrawing room where there is a bottle or two he might find useful."

An hour or so and several large glasses of the very finest Vezaire Port later

"Well if you will sneak glances at their "forum" as they call it, what do you expect? 'Evesdroppers never hear good of themselves' remember."

Alaric had mellowed by this time, but he was still inclined to hold a grudge.

"I admit to being put out that my re-interpretation of "Geese-a-laying" was questioned. Have they no respect? I am a Duke of the realm."

He grinned sheepishly as Duncan made a rude noise, but then added with heat.

"But I do want a light sabre. It's so unfair, Duncan, just because we're in the wrong fantasy universe, we are stuck with bits of metal, however well crafted. Have you seen what they can do with light sabres? I want to be a Jedi"

Duncan saw again in front of him the small boy who had always been the leader in their mischief and who would not bear to be out done, and although he commented dryly,

"So your life as a Deryni hasn't been full enough of trouble?" deep beneath his life as priest and bishop something woke to match with Alaric.

"Lock the door" he ordered, "And sober yourself up. And if you ever, ever, tell anyone, I'll see to it that you are on your knees for a month, on bread and Dhassa wine."

Mystified, but obedient, Alaric went to the door and locked it then spent a few moments going through the ritual that would clear his mind of the effects of alcohol. When he resurfaced he was further mystified to see that Duncan was setting wards, but he knew better than to interrupt. Finally as the circle of protection raised above their heads, Duncan spoke,

"It is part of the duty of a Bishop to keep oneself informed so I have made certain enquiries..." then he abandoned his assumed pomposity and grinned, handing Alaric a fencing foil the while murmuring the words of a strange sounding incantation.

"You understand that it can only be an illusion but 'May the Force be with you'". As Duncan spoke there was a sudden whooshing noise and his fencing blades glowed with a vivid blue light. It was perhaps as well for Alaric's peace of mind that he remained unaware of the signifcance of the red glow of his own, his very own - if only for an illusory half-hour - light sabre.

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Shiral

Love it!! :D
"Alaric wants to be a Jedi, Richenda."
"A WHAT???? Do you mean he's going to be impossible forever?"

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Jerusha

Quote from: Shiral on January 02, 2020, 07:14:48 PM

Melissa

"Oh yes, your Grace.  Absolutely forever."   ;D

Well done, revanne!  Well done, well done!
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

revanne

Quote from: Shiral on January 02, 2020, 07:14:48 PM

Melissa

Duncan has a lot to answer for  ;)
(Psalm 46 v1)

Shiral

Just wait until Kelric learns about the Jedi..... =o) "Father, how can I make MY sword glow???"
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

:o :o Touche'  ;)  ;D ;D

Quote"Well if you will sneak glances at their "forum" as they call it, what do you expect?

You took me totally by surprise. I started laughing with such intense giddiness that my co workers were wondering what was afoot. I am smiling with the pure joy of it.

That is a good work out for Alaric and Duncan, May they be beaming with the pleasure of the magic for days to come. And may the mystery of Alaric's mood change ever be speculation between Kelson and Brendan

"May the force be with you all!"

May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

What Alaric really needs to worry about is if Kelric gets to hear about Quidditch. These cloisters were used in some Harry Potter scenes - anyone like to guess where? We visited today though for spiritual rather than magical purposes.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

Not sure why it posted sideways- I wasn't on a broomstick at the time of taking.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: revanne on January 03, 2020, 12:14:44 PM
Not sure why it posted sideways- I wasn't on a broomstick at the time of taking.

LOL Are you sure?

Those cloister walls and ceiling are amazing.

Jerusha

From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DerynifanK

Alaric as a Jedi! I love it. Revanne your imagination is amazing. But poor Richenda...Alaric will be impossible forever? And Kelric will definitely want to follow in his father's footsteps.  This made me laugh until I got the hiccups.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

revanne

Quote from: DerynifanK on January 03, 2020, 08:39:05 PM
Alaric as a Jedi! I love it. Revanne your imagination is amazing. But poor Richenda...Alaric will be impossible forever? And Kelric will definitely want to flow in his father's footsteps.  This made me laugh until I got the hiccups.

But Alaric isn't going to tell anyone. Not unless he wants a month long penance spend on his knees with nothing to eat but bread or to drink but Dhassa wine. Quite  apart from it's awful taste Dhassa has every bad memories for Alaric. And we know whothe Bishop of Dhassa is.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Some Personal joys are good enough that they don't have to be shared outside those in the know. Now and again Alaric and Duncan may share a wink on the side. "Do you remember when..."  Just like that other time during the week of Valentines when Alaric portaled into the modern day world. Not sure how many he would have shared that experience with. Alaric is discrete. besides he very much dislikes Dessa wine. LOL

Laurna

Revanne,
My Deryni Littles wanted to play out this scene again using my own lightsabers. They are enjoying it this year as much as they did last year.
PS. That is purple not pink. LOL

revanne

(Psalm 46 v1)