• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 09:23:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,481
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 69
Total: 69

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Saint Camber's Tiger Chapter 2

Started by Alkari, June 14, 2010, 04:15:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnnieUK

[quote ]

I'd be happy to take a look.  Email me a draft - alkariau@yahoo.com.au.

Actually, I was wondering whether Brendan himself might decide to compromise and call Alaric "Father" rather than "Papa" (which is what he does in my fanfic world).  That way, "Papa" is reserved for Bran, and "Father" means Alaric.   No-one would ever mistake Alaric for a priest!   ;D   I suspect there may have been some initial uncertainty on both their parts, but not sure how much actual conflict there would be between Brendan and Alaric, because certainly by TKJ, they are very close. I could see any conflict being born more of Brendan's initial uncertainty and insecurity - a little boy whose father has been killed, with the involvement of the man whom his mother is now marrying; the family name is now in disgrace, he is desperate for 'a' father / father figure, and now he is being moved away from his home, all the way to Coroth.   

[/quote]

Yup, that's pretty much the line I'm going down.  A little boy who is confused, whose father is dead and new stepfather had *something* to do with it, and there's a new baby on the way to add to the confusion.  Plus, a man who has just married, and has found himself with a stepson and is struggling to be a father to him and not really knowing what he's doing.  Classic stepfamily shakedown type stuff.

May well mail you guys tomorrow.  I'm off to bed!

Alkari

Classic stepfamily shakedown type stuff.

Oh yes.  Morgan would undoubtedly have seen various difficult stages of small boys because of his close relationship with Kelson, so he is probably aware of the "No, I won't!" stage they can go through.  But of course, dealing with it as a mentor / family friend with Kelson, and dealing with it when it's your stepson with all the emotional background of Bran/Richenda/Alaric, are two entirely different matters.  I've got a draft scene in mind for their departure from Marley along these lines.    Poor guy - he and Richenda may have been very much in love, but they certainly had a few issues to confront in the early years of their marriage! 

AnnieUK

Ah bother it, I'm just going to post it I think.  I can delete it if you think it's pants (do you say pants in Oz/US?  It means rubbish basically.)  I've read it over loads of times and I think I'd enjoy it if someone else posted it.  And if I post it now then I can't reconsider till I get back from work LOL.

Evie

Quote from: AnnieUK on June 15, 2010, 01:41:30 AM
Ah bother it, I'm just going to post it I think.  I can delete it if you think it's pants (do you say pants in Oz/US?  It means rubbish basically.)  I've read it over loads of times and I think I'd enjoy it if someone else posted it.  And if I post it now then I can't reconsider till I get back from work LOL.

LOL!  No, we don't use that expression in the US, although a lot of people know it anyway due to the Internet.

Was hoping to upload links to my long fanfic ANAMCHARA this morning, but I just gave the sections a final double-check (or so I thought) only to discover that one of the chapters got truncated and is only half there.  And since there doesn't seem to be a way to insert a blog entry between other blog entries that are already posted, correcting the error is going mess up the neatly ordered links in the sidebar.  *sigh*  Oh well, I can correct that on the homepage, I guess, but it does delay me being able to post it to the forum yet.  (It's Morgan's section of the story that's messed up, too! *pout*)
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Elkhound

Female healers are quite rare. 

wombat1138

I knew I'd seen Siany's name somewhere :)

Speaking of names, though-- is the sacrament of Confirmation practiced in Gwynedd? It struck me that both Kelson and Alaric have "Anthony" as the last of their personal names, which made me briefly wonder whether they'd both chosen it as a confirmational name. However, "Anthony" seems to be a family name for both the Morgans and the house of Corwyn, and I have no idea whether they even have a Saint Anthony of any description (Wikipedia lists several in addition to St. Anthony of Padua).

Quote from: Alkari on June 14, 2010, 05:13:01 PM
And that future son - the Codex doesn't go that far, so in *my* little fanfic world, he is going to be called Richard Kai  (Richard for Richenda's father, and also in memory of that young squire in DC, and Kai being a family name on the Corwyn side).

...huh. I'd just assumed that Briony was referring to Brendan and Kelric on an equal basis, but the more little Morgans, the merrier :)

Alkari

I'd just assumed that Briony was referring to Brendan and Kelric on an equal basis, but the more little Morgans, the merrier
Oh yes, wombat1138 - Briony is certainly only referring to her existing two brothers, Brendan and Kelric.   But then when Kelric complains that he wanted a little brother rather than a little sister, Briony suggests that Richenda can have another one after this little girl.  And that is the 'future Morgan' whom I have named.  The Codex suggests that Richenda and Alaric have a girl in 1128 (the year after Kelson's wedding), so I have Richenda becoming pregnant sometime between her return to Rhemuth after Teymuraz's escape, and Kelson's wedding in midsummer: she travels to Marley with Alaric and Brendan in September 1128, returning via Rhemuth and then on to Coroth in October.  Even Alaric agrees that it is much better to travel early in her pregnancy rather than later!

As for lots of future Morgans - well, I am quite sure they end up with at least four, and probably more  ;)   Given the danger of death in battle or even by accident on the hunting field, etc, there is always the notion of great lords needing 'an heir and a spare' (or even two, as with Nigel), which Morgan would have been subconsciously mindful of, given Corwyn's long regency before him. 

the Bee

Quote from: AnnieUK on June 14, 2010, 05:25:07 PM
Oooh Richard Kai would be perfect.  Alaric greatly admired Richard of Carthmoor, so it would be another tip of the hat to another Haldane he admired.  Maybe he should be Richard Nigel, though, so Nigel didn't feel left out  ;D  Or maybe the daughter could be Alyca Nigella  ::)

"Richard" could also honor young Richard FitzWilliam, who was killed saving Alaric from an assassin in Deryni Checkmate.  Alaric knighted him as he lay dying.

Alkari

Yes, "Richard" would be a name with plenty of meaning for both Alaric and Richenda, so I'd say the odds on a future #2 Morgan son having that in his name are pretty good.

AnnieUK

Ack!!!  Saw this one bumped to the top and thought it was the next instalment - you tease! ;)

Alkari

ROFL Annie - no, you'll have to wait a little while longer yet, and the chapter will be No. 4.   :)

Elkhound

Quote from: Alkari on June 15, 2010, 05:13:45 PM
As for lots of future Morgans - well, I am quite sure they end up with at least four, and probably more  ;)   Given the danger of death in battle or even by accident on the hunting field, etc, there is always the notion of great lords needing 'an heir and a spare' (or even two, as with Nigel), which Morgan would have been subconsciously mindful of, given Corwyn's long regency before him. 

Which means that perhaps we should be a little more charitable in our condemnation of Bran's disapointment in his second child's being a daughter, especially if the Earldom of Marley can't be passed on in the female line.  (If something had happened to Brenden but she had lived, could she have eventually become Countess of Marley in her own right, or would the title have gone to a collateral line?)

Evie

Some amount of disappointment is understandable, sure, but not complete indifference and apathy towards one's daughters, or only grudging tolerance towards one's wife for wanting a daughter.  Remember, Alaric needed heirs and spares no less than Bran did, but when his firstborn was a girl, did he ever, even once, treat her as undesired?  No, it's clear from the books that he cherished Briony as much as he later cherished his heir Kelric, and there's no reason to think he won't adore his future daughters as much as his future sons.  That's the difference between the sort of man Alaric is and the sort Bran is.  Bran was capable of loving a son who could be his heir and therefore an extension of himself.  But a girl child wasn't "useful", so why bother getting attached?

In a feudal society, yes, sons were often more valued because often only they could inherit.  But even then, that didn't somehow make it acceptable to not love one's daughters at all.  Daughters, after all, were--then as now--often the children most likely to care for you if you reached old age.  They didn't have nursing homes.  If you treated your daughters badly and your sons died at war--oops, tough luck for you!  :D
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Alkari

Quote from: Elkhound on January 11, 2011, 09:21:46 PM
Which means that perhaps we should be a little more charitable in our condemnation of Bran's disapointment in his second child's being a daughter, especially if the Earldom of Marley can't be passed on in the female line.  (If something had happened to Brenden but she had lived, could she have eventually become Countess of Marley in her own right, or would the title have gone to a collateral line?)

There is actually no evidence from the books, or the Codex, that an earldon cannot be passed down in the female line - after all, Corwyn was passed down through the female line (Stevana and then Alyce, once Ahern died).   They didn't go looking for distant collateral branches. The same happened with the Earldom of Lendour, and of course, Kenneth Morgan was made Earl of Lendour for life in right of his wife - de jure uxoris.  

In Childe Morgan, we see that Alyce couldn't hold the earldom in her own right, but she could pass on the inheritance.  Thius she didn't have the title of "Countess", because she couldn't inherit as such, and because she wasn't married to a man who was earl in his own right.  OTOH, Richenda is rightly titled "Countess" as a widow because her husband was the Earl, and in due course she will be "Dowager Countess" when Brendan marries.

If you go through the Codex, you will find various examples where titles could be passed down through the female line.

Anyway, none of this is really relevant to this fic!  :D    We know Alaric and Richenda have a second daughter in 1129 (hopefully called Grania and not Sophonisba ;)   ) and judging by what we see in the books, Alaric will adore her just as much as he adores Briony and Kelric.  And indeed, as he loves Brendan too.

Elkhound

Quote from: Evie on January 11, 2011, 09:48:42 PM
Some amount of disappointment is understandable, sure, but not complete indifference and apathy towards one's daughters, or only grudging tolerance towards one's wife for wanting a daughter. 

I never said we should give him a pass!