collapse

Author Topic: WHAM!  (Read 4574 times)

Offline Elkhound

• Baron
  • Favorite Book: The King's Justice
  • Favorite Character: Denis Arilan
WHAM!
« on: September 27, 2012, 10:40:02 PM »
Tonight I was coming out of choir practice with some of the other singers.  The ramp from the church to the parish house is carpeted, but once one gets into the parish house proper, there is a polished hardwood floor.  Apparently this pm the sexton had polished it.  Polished it very well.  Perhaps a little TOO well.  My foot hit a particularly slick spot and my foot went FORWARD & UP while the rest of me went BACK & DOWN. 

It probably looked fairly spectacular, but I was more startled than hurt.  As a brown belt in Kempo, I know how to take a fall.  The odd thing is that I've not been training for about 10 years.  I didn't even think about it.  One moment I was walking along with a couple of the singers, and the next I was flat on my back thinking, "I just did a back fall."  Kinesthetic memory is a wonderful thing.

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
  • Favorite Book: Deryni Magic
  • Favorite Character: Rhys Thuryn *sob*
Re: WHAM!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 03:19:41 AM »
Kinesthetic memory is a wonderful thing.

Ouch!

Glad you're not seriously hurt.  Kinesthetic memory can indeed be exceedingly helpful.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Elkhound

• Baron
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »
I admit that I'm a little sore today, but nothing some ibuprophin and some ben-gay won't take care of.

Offline Evie

• Administrator
  • Sister Evie--Servant of Saint Camber
    • The Mini-Deryni Chronicles
  • Favorite Book: High Deryni or The King's Justice (can't decide)
  • Favorite Character: President of the Duncan McLain Fanbabe Society
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:57:30 AM »
Ouch, Elkhound!  I'm glad you came through that unscathed.  Knowing the right way to fall is a good thing.  Actually it saved my husband's life once; he was going down a steep slope in our side yard on our riding lawnmower and it flipped over.  As he realized it was starting to do so, he instinctively jumped clear and rolled out of its way as he fell, and the blades missed him by a few inches.  In his case, it was his instincts developed over several years of SCA combat that kicked in.   

My husband tore the cartilage inside one of his kneecaps at an SCA event a couple of weeks ago, and now it looks like he'll need surgery to fix it.  The odd thing was, he didn't injure it on the fighting field.  He was just walking from the field towards the feast hall afterwards and somehow managed to take a step wrong, and suddenly his knee hurt.  No fall, no bumps, nothing.  So you just never know what's going to lead to an injury (or not) sometimes. 
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Offline Elkhound

• Baron
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 11:19:02 PM »
I'm sorry to hear about Mr. Evie's knee.  Knees are funny, sometimes--they'll take traumas that should destroy them without any apparent damage, then someone will look at them cross-eyes and--YYYEAWCH!

Offline Shiral

• Zipper Sister
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 01:40:05 AM »
Ouch indeed Elkhound. Good that your body was looking out for you and that basic medicine cabinet remedies were all you needed. I sympathize, since   I managed to stumble over a curb and fall yesterday, giving my left elbow and knee minor scrapes. I was the kind of kid who always had band aids on SOME part of my anatomy. Me and my balletic grace, you know! It was a situation where the pavement and the curb were ALMOST flush, but not quite and I hooked my toe in just the wrong way.  I'm just glad that riding mower blades weren't involved!

Sorry about DH's knee, Evie. Sounds painful. :o

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Offline derynifanatic64

• Baronet
  • Uncle Mark Rules!!
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 09:25:03 AM »
May you have a quick and complete recovery!
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 09:26:45 AM by derynifanatic64 »
We will never forget the events of 9-11!!  USA!! USA!!

Offline Elkhound

• Baron
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2012, 02:50:43 PM »
IMHO, gymnastics, dance, or martial arts instruction should be given to EVERY child so that s/he can learn to take a fall without getting hurt.

Offline Elkhound

• Baron
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2012, 02:52:22 PM »
Now, how long before these incidents get incorporated into a fanfic?

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2012, 04:09:06 PM »
My husband tore the cartilage inside one of his kneecaps at an SCA event a couple of weeks ago, and now it looks like he'll need surgery to fix it.  The odd thing was, he didn't injure it on the fighting field.  He was just walking from the field towards the feast hall afterwards and somehow managed to take a step wrong, and suddenly his knee hurt.  No fall, no bumps, nothing.  So you just never know what's going to lead to an injury (or not) sometimes. 

Owie.  As someone who has dealt with torn cartilage in the knees before, it is no picnic.  I hope Mr. Evie comes through the surgery well and with a minimum of pain and annoyance.  (He may actually enjoy some of the physical therapy that he'll probably have to do afterward; some of it is no fun but some of the things you do in physical therapy are nice.)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Offline Alkari

• Community Supporter
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2012, 07:00:39 PM »
OUCH to the walking - or should I say hobbling - wounded.  Hope the ibuprofen works Elkhound, and that you're back in action soon.  And I hope Mr Evie comes through surgery OK and survives the physiotherapy.   Those SCA events are obviously full of unseen dangers, LOL.   

My best effort was tripping down a very low step INTO a pub, when stone cold sober - I was meeting friends for a drink after work.  The step wasn't well-lit, and the contrast when coming in from bright light outside meant your eyes hadn't had time to adjust properly.  Luckily I was wearing almost flat sandals so I didn't actually fall, but I crashed hard onto the side of my left foot.  I thought I had just sprained it, so we got a plastic bag of ice from the bar, I rested my foot on it and we continued.  An hour later, I could hardly walk - a friend got my car from the parking area, I made it home to my parents' place, and ended up in Emergency.  Yep, I had a nasty fracture, so I went to my brother's wedding 3 days later with my foot and lower leg in heavy strapping and a special boot.   The only trouble was the fracture didn't heal properly and I ended up needing an operation to have a 2" pin put into it, and six weeks of plaster.   *sigh*   Followed by more strapping and physiotherapy. 

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2012, 07:25:03 PM »
* Evie snickers at "Mr. Evie."   ;D

Ouch, Alkari!  That kind of reminds me of the story a former co-worker told me years ago about her nephew:

C:  "Oh, my poor nephew!"
Me:  "What's wrong?"
C:  "He had a car accident and ended up with a broken leg and a black eye.  His wedding is in a week, and the poor guy is going to have a shiner and a cast and crutches in all of his wedding photos!"

A couple of weeks later....

C:  "Oh, my poor poor nephew!"
Me:  "Is this the same guy who had the accident a few weeks ago?  What''s wrong now?"
C:  "You remember he was got married right after that, right?"
Me:  "Yes...?"
C:  "Well, they just got back from their honeymoon in Cancun.  Unfortunately Hurricane Gilbert arrived there right after they did, and they weren't able to evacuate in time.  The hotel just put them in a room on the inland side of the building, and they spent their wedding night in the bathtub huddled under the mattress!"

I stopped working there shortly after that, so I never did find out if her unlucky nephew managed to survive long enough to father his first child....   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2012, 09:06:08 PM »
* Evie snickers at "Mr. Evie."   ;D

Hey, IRL, you're Mrs. {His Surname}, unless you kept your maiden name, so why can't he be Mr. {Your Handle} on the internet?  :)

Offline Evie

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2012, 09:48:36 PM »
I'll be sure to inform him that from henceforth he is to answer to "Mr. Evie."   ;)

--WARNING!!!--

Offline DesertRose

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2012, 10:22:25 PM »
I'll be sure to inform him that from henceforth he is to answer to "Mr. Evie."   ;)

At least, online, he is.  :D

* Discord

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

* Recent Posts

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by DoctorM
[Today at 08:16:47 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by DerynifanK
[Today at 11:54:34 AM]

Re: Happy Birthday Derynifank! by revanne
[August 09, 2020, 09:35:57 PM]

KK Chat -- 9 August 2020 by DesertRose
[August 09, 2020, 07:41:14 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by Jerusha
[August 09, 2020, 12:06:55 PM]

Re: Two Kingdoms: Departures by Laurna