• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 94
Total: 94
Bing (2)
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 03:50:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Crowns & Titles

Started by DoctorM, June 23, 2023, 08:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorM

Quote from: tmcd on July 01, 2023, 03:21:33 PM
Quote from: DoctorM on June 30, 2023, 08:11:13 PMIt's easy to imagine her sitting with Christian and Aurelian thinking of items to add to her full royal title...especially items designed to anger both Wencit and Kelson.

Duchess of Haldane? Lady of Cardosa?

Quote from: tmcd on July 01, 2023, 03:21:33 PM
Quote from: DoctorM on June 30, 2023, 08:11:13 PMIt's easy to imagine her sitting with Christian and Aurelian thinking of items to add to her full royal title...especially items designed to anger both Wencit and Kelson.

Duchess of Haldane? Lady of Cardosa?

I just may add those!

DoctorM

At least in my AU, Wencit is at war with Charissa because his planned war against Brion Haldane simply continued after Brion's death and the coup at Rhemuth. Wencit's goal is to occupy eastern Gwynedd at worst, and at best to become overlord of Gwynedd.

Quote from: tmcd on June 24, 2023, 01:57:54 AMAs for Torenth, oddly, often they were referred to as just "King of Torenth", or when Liam was swearing fealty in The King's Justice, ch. 6, "I, Liam, King of Torenth and all the lands therein, ..."

Luckily I remembered that "Seven Tribes" was in there, and Google Books has it. High Deryni, near the start of ch. 3, Lionel is giving the invitation to Cardosa to Bran Coris. "My lord Earl of Marley, Wencit Furstán Padishah, King of Torenth and Tolan and the Seven Tribes to the East, desires the honor of your presence ..." (I have some dim memory of "Lord of Arjenol". But that couldn't be in this book, because Lionel is the Duke and doesn't get offed until almost the end. Maybe it was a dream sequence on my part; maybe it's elsewhere in King Kelson's Bride and applies to Liam.)

Weird wording, because it implies that Tolan was a kingdom, when it was a duchy in Deryni Rising. Wencit is calling himself its ruler as Charissa's heir, or possibly overlord. (I had the impression that Tolan was held as a fief, but now I'm not sure I remember that being stated.) I've only read the latest installments of this AU, so I don't know why Wencit is warring on Charissa. If he considered the Shadowed One to be a disobedient vassal, then he might have declared her duchy forfeit and taken the title. If she was a neighbor instead, he might have given some sort of justification like she not being the rightful heiress. So something along these lines (meaning Wencit adding "of Tolan") might do quite well in the current story.

I thought the killijálay might have the full set of titles as mentioned above, but in King Kelson's Bride, ch. 19, Liam is called "Liam-Lajos ho Phourstanos padishah" pretty consistently.