• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Evie

May 14, 2024, 03:00:09 PM
Congratulations, Marc!
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,626
  • Total Topics: 2,741
  • Online today: 115
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 115
Total: 117
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 12:18:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

KK Chat -- 02 October 2022 - Special Edition

Started by Bynw, October 02, 2022, 05:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

This is a special edition of the chat. Normally we have a Zoom chat but due to Hurricane Ian disrupting communication on the east cost it was moved to the chat room.

[14:36] * KK (49ab39c5@owirc-khp3ee.mibbit.com) has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[14:36] <Eris> <DFK> Have arrived from Zoom
[14:36] <Eris> <Shiral> supplies tea and gingerbread
[14:37] <KK> Ta-ta!
[14:37] <Eris> <Laurna> Hello Again
[14:37] <Eris> <Shiral> Hi, KK
[14:37] <The_Bee> Who's on Discord?
[14:37] <KK> brb
[14:37] <Eris> <Shiral> I am
[14:37] <Eris> <DFK> DFK
[14:37] <~bynw> yes the leftovers of Ian were causing trouble out that direction
[14:37] <Eris> <Laurna> It is great to see new fans
[14:37] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> Steve & Tania are here
[14:37] <Eris> <Shiral> Hi Steve and Tania
[14:37] <Eris> <Laurna> Welcome
[14:37] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Hello!
[14:38] <Eris> <Shiral> Hi Evie
[14:38] <The_Bee> Hi, Steve and Tania?  What's your cat's name?
[14:38] <Eris> <DFK> Welcome anyone coming over from zoom
[14:38] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> Our cat is Amy
[14:38] <Eris> <Laurna> That was a pretty kitty you held up
[14:38] <Eris> <Laurna> Hello Amy
[14:38] <The_Bee> very prett kitty
[14:38] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Please give Amy some scritches.
[14:38] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> Named after the Doctor Who character Amy Pond
[14:39] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> Thanks Bee
[14:39] <Eris> <Nezz> I'm on Discord
[14:39] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> My Carys-kitteh was in my lap purring until I rudely got up to get something else to drink.
[14:39] <The_Bee> How dare you disturb her comfy place!
[14:39] * ahock (chatzilla@owirc-k9h7ds.cntmoh.sbcglobal.net) has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[14:39] <Eris> <Laurna> Perfect Steve
[14:39] <Eris> <DFK> Maybe you can train her to go get your drink for yoy
[14:39] <Eris> <Revanne> Re hi all
[14:40] <KK> I'm back. Daphne is watching the screen from between it and the keyboard.  Grrrr!
[14:40] <Eris> <Shiral> Typical cat
[14:40] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Cats have not the slightest concern for human convenience.
[14:40] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> :D
[14:40] <Eris> <Laurna> sends soft scretches for Daphne
[14:40] * test (test@owirc-sv2.cgf.127.206.IP) has joined #Deryni_Destinations
[14:40] * test (test@owirc-sv2.cgf.127.206.IP) Quit (Quit: Connection closed)
[14:40] <~bynw> great look like the kiwi chat link is working again
[14:41] <The_Bee> Yes it is.
[14:41] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> That's Gigi's preferred position, KK, though fortunately she hasn't noticed I'm in chat
[14:41] <Eris> <Laurna> KK we had a nice small tea party for Alaric's Birthday.  DFK remembered to bring the Fianna red
[14:41] <Eris> <DFK> I saw a story where someone distracted their cat by giving them a screen of their own. they happened to have an old one
[14:42] <~bynw> i did reactivate the mibbit link just incase but Kiwi is far more stable and prettier IMO
[14:42] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I've seen a number of cats with decoy laptops to keep them off the human's work.
[14:42] <KK> I'm on mibbit.
[14:42] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> They just want to hang out with their people and do what their people are doing.
[14:42] <Eris> <Revanne> I remember when people kept getting Mibbited. Hopefully that won't happen to you KK.
[14:43] <~bynw> things should be much better for the Zoom chat come november
[14:43] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Carys is ever so helpful when I'm knitting or crocheting.  🤣
[14:43] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> Amy is quite camera shy. Our old cat was very happy to leap onto the desk and show you his tail.
[14:43] <Eris> <DFK> Of course cats have never recovered from the fact that in ancient Egypt they were gods and still expect to occupy that position.
[14:44] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Carys is an infamous video bomber.  If I'd been able to keep my video on, you'd have seen Ms. Snugglefuzz being sociable.
[14:44] <KK> I've never had any problem with mibbit.  Of course, saying that is probably inviting disaster....
[14:44] <~bynw> lol
[14:44] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> 😄
[14:44] <Eris> <DFK> Uh oh, hope Murphy wasn't listening
[14:45] <Eris> <Revanne> My neighbour's cat has started coming round again - every time I puppy sit he keeps his distance for several weeks just in case.
[14:47] <Eris> <Shiral> Murphy tends to have good hearing at inconvenient times
[14:47] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> In other cat news, the little gray kitten is still resident chez my parents.  The Pod-Child's friend who was going to take him wasn't able to because her (friend's) mother had to have gallbladder surgery.  I don't know if the plan is still for friend to take him once her mother has recovered or what, but in the interim, he has charmed my parents and me and is terrorizing the other five cats.
[14:47] <The_Bee> There is--or was-- a tv showdevoted to helping dogs and cats get along.
[14:47] <KK> Have you decided not to get another pet of your own, since you have grand-dogs?
[14:47] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> And the cat obedience classes were a complete waste of time with Amy!
[14:47] <Eris> <Shiral> Kittens know how to charm. It's a survival skill for them
[14:48] <Eris> <Nezz> I'm currently at my mom's house, so my kitties aren't here to bomb me.
[14:48] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Little gray kitten last weekend
[14:48] <Eris> <Shiral> Dmitri just laughs at the idea of Cat Obedience
[14:48] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Awwww!!!
[14:48] <Eris> <Revanne> I can't remember if last time I was in chat I mentioned that my DS and D-i-L know they are having a boy. They have two of the names sorted - Francis and Richard for his two late grandads and one of his very own which is yet to be decided.
[14:48] <Eris> <DFK> So cote
[14:48] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> 🥰
[14:48] <Eris> <Laurna> Cuttie
[14:48] <Eris> <Shiral> Yeah, that little face would work on me
[14:48] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> So cute
[14:48] <Eris> <Revanne> Cuteness overload
[14:48] <KK> Gall bladder surgery is easy, unless they had to do an open procedure. I had my keyhole surgery on a Monday or Tuesday and was back at Tai Chi on Thursday.  Of course, that's gentle.
[14:49] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Wow!
[14:49] <Eris> <Revanne> Awww
[14:49] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Little gray kitten the day my daughter (aka the Pod-Child) found him.
[14:49] <Eris> <Shiral> Fairly sure it wouldn't work on Dmitri or Tati
[14:49] <Eris> <Laurna> Congratulations on the soon to be grandson, Revanne
[14:49] <Eris> <Revanne> Thanks
[14:49] <Eris> <DFK> I see someone getting suckered big time
[14:49] <Eris> <Shiral> Yes, Congratulations to the family
[14:49] <The_Bee> Can you show the pics to those of us not on Discord?
[14:49] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> When is he due, Revanne?
[14:50] <KK> Yes, congrats.  We'll all pray for a safe delivery of a massively healthy baby boy!
[14:50] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> <KK> Glad your gall bladder surgery went so well.
[14:50] <Eris> <Revanne> January 5th, but both his parents were very late, so I reckon more like the middle of the month.
[14:51] <Eris> <Laurna> Lets not hope for that late!  Poor mama to be
[14:51] <Eris> <Revanne> Thanks everyone. It's such good news and after the awful Christmas we had last year after DH died It's great to have something good to focus on.
[14:51] <KK> Actually, that was the first one, in Ireland, when they just cleaned it out and shot it full of antibiotics.  The second one, when they took it out, was here in Virginia.  But again, a very quick recovery.
[14:51] <Eris> <Laurna> I am sure she is hoping for christmas
[14:52] <Eris> <DFK> Congratulations on your grandson, Revanne. I can tell you from experience that grandchildren are a delight. And there is the part where you can give them back to  the parents if they become difficult.
[14:52] <Eris> <Revanne> I don't think so Laurna, she loves cooking so she's aiming to hist us all for Christmas Dinner.
[14:52] <Eris> <Revanne> Host even!
[14:53] <Eris> <Shiral> Hoping it will be a MUCH happier Christmas, this year
[14:53] <Eris> <Laurna> Ok just after her big hosting event then
[14:53] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I would hope for any time besides Christmas, otherwise the poor kid is likely to end up getting lots of "Christmas/Birthday" gifts instead of getting to celebrate them separately.  Even with a Dec. 5 birthday, I sometimes had that happen, and as a small child it's hard to understand why other people get two days to get gifts and you only get one.
[14:53] <KK> Blank Francis Richard may have something to say about the date.
[14:53] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Bee, not without going to the desktop since Imgur doesn't want to behave on phone or tablet without my downloading the app and I'm trying to keep the number of apps to a minimum.
[14:53] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> And Carys is now in my desk chair at the desktop.
[14:53] <Eris> <Revanne> Indeed, he'll come when he chooses.
[14:54] <Eris> <Revanne> My Mum's birthday was January 4th and she was unimpressed.
[14:54] <Eris> <Shiral> I hope he'll have some consideration for his parents when he decides to arrive and won't do it in the middle of the night
[14:54] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> As a mid-January baby myself, everyone's tired of giving presents after Christmas and tired of parties to boot after New Year's.
[14:54] <The_Bee> That's ok, DR.  Can you put them on the website for later?
[14:54] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I can.
[14:54] <Eris> <DFK> My first one was 16  days late. I tease her that she has been late ever since.
[14:54] <Eris> <Shiral> I arrived six weeks AFTER Christmas
[14:55] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I'll stick them in the Gallery under Fur kids.
[14:55] <The_Bee> I have one family member who was born on Christmas Day.
[14:55] <KK> October is my month. :-)
[14:55] <Eris> <Shiral> Good choice!
[14:55] <Eris> <Laurna> We will have to celebrate soon.
[14:55] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> The Pod-Child was born eight days after her due date at 3:08 am.  I tease her that she started as she meant to go on, in her own time and in the middle of the night.
[14:55] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Happy birthday month, KK!
[14:56] <Eris> <Nezz> I arrived 6 weeks after the Beatles invaded the US. 🙂
[14:56] <The_Bee> March is mine . My older sister was born on the Ides of March.  I was born on the first day of spring.
[14:56] <Eris> <DFK> I have one grandson in March and his brother almost exactly a month later in April.
[14:56] <Eris> <Revanne> Well we celebrated Alaric Morgan so we should do the same for his creator.
[14:56] <Eris> <Laurna> Alaric was happy that we did not put 931 candles on his cake.
[14:56] <Eris> <Shiral> Absolutely
[14:56] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I have a friend with a Christmas Day birthday and the youngest of my brothers (since they're all older than I am) is a Boxing Day baby.
[14:56] <Eris> <Nezz> Agreed, Revanne!
[14:56] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I have two uncles who were born on CHristmas Eve in two different years
[14:56] <Eris> <Shiral> Having your dessert catch on fire is a little daunting
[14:56] <Eris> <Laurna> LOL
[14:56] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> We are going to drop off line. It has been great to meet you all and hopefully see you next month. xxx Steve & Tania
[14:56] <Eris> <Shiral> But he doesn't look a day over 800
[14:56] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Unless it was meant to be flambe.
[14:57] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> G'night, great to meet you!  Don't be strangers!
[14:57] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Good to meet you, Steve and Tania!
[14:57] <Eris> <Shiral> Bye, Steve and Tania
[14:57] <Eris> <Revanne> Take care, and great to meet you both.
[14:57] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Well, g'morning, your time.
[14:57] <Eris> <Shiral> Drop in whenever you can!
[14:57] <Eris> <Laurna> Great to meet you Steve and Tania,  join us every week
[14:57] <Eris> <DFK> Hope to see you again soon
[14:57] <KK> Bye, Steve & Tania.  Good to have you here.
[14:57] <Eris> <Nezz> Bye guys
[14:57] <The_Bee> Glad you came and ccome agaain, Steveand Tania
[14:57] <Eris> <Revanne> And there's usually someone in Discord
[14:57] <Eris> <Steve_Lewis> Thank you. Enjoy the rest of your weekend and stay safe.
[14:58] <Eris> <Revanne> Chatting about the Deryni world
[14:58] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Or cats
[14:58] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Or anything else
[14:58] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Or royal court politics
[14:58] <Eris> <Laurna> or birthdays and soon to come weddings
[14:58] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Or maps
[14:58] <Eris> <DFK> And lots of other things
[14:58] <KK> Or real world royals.
[14:58] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Basically whatever pops into our heads.
[14:58] <The_Bee> or whatever's on our minds
[14:58] <Eris> <Revanne> My birthday is June 2nd so definitely hoping for them to keep the same date for the coronation.
[14:58] <~bynw> soon to come weddings is a fun chat
[14:59] <Eris> <Shiral> For a moment KK, my mind read that as "real weird royals.:
[14:59] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Especially if you're soon to be wed. 😄
[14:59] <Eris> <Laurna> Do you think Charles will wait that long?
[14:59] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> LOL, Shiral
[14:59] <KK> Less than 2 weeks, Bynw...;-)
[14:59] <Eris> <DFK> @revanne were you close enough to see the new prince and princess of Wales when they were in Wales?
[14:59] <Eris> <Revanne> It will depend on how soon it can be organised.
[14:59] <The_Bee> Is weather a factor in setting a coronation date?
[15:00] <Eris> <Revanne> No, Cardiff is about an hour away.
[15:00] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Looks like Queen Margrethe is also downsizing her kingdom's royalty
[15:00] <KK> Yes, June has better weather prospects.
[15:00] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> BRB, need to make more tea
[15:00] <~bynw> 13 days .... in actually it's 12 day and a high number of hours but i'm not counting it that way ... yet
[15:00] <KK> You'd think they could've just said, no more royals at that level, instead of taking away people's titles.
[15:01] <Eris> <Revanne> No, it poured buckets in 1953. Basically in Britain it can rain whenever, though June is usually good.
[15:01] <Eris> <Shiral> I'm sure Connall would have taken it badly if Kelson said "Sorry, you're not a prince, anymore."
[15:01] <Eris> <DFK> I d=don't get the feeling that queen Margethe handled that very well. Seems to have caused a lot of hurt feelings
[15:01] <Eris> <Shiral> But he seems more interested in handing out duchies than taking them away.
[15:01] <KK> Isdn't that why the Queen's official birthday was in June?
[15:01] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> @KK Yeah, I haven't read up on that situation, except for seeing an article that said it was apparently a shock to the younger royals in question that they were losing their titles
[15:01] <The_Bee> I understand the parents of the no-longer-royal children are not pleased.
[15:01] <Eris> <Revanne> Though Conall lost more than his title
[15:01] <Eris> <Shiral> I think so, KK
[15:02] <Eris> <Shiral> Conall got greedy
[15:02] <Eris> <Shiral> And it ended VERY badly for him
[15:02] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I think in the end Conall had more to worry about than losing his title
[15:02] <Eris> <Shiral> I've been re-reading Quest. And I'm mad at Conall all over again!
[15:02] <Eris> <Revanne> Yes I'm guessing the King will have an official birthday as November is pretty grim.
[15:03] <KK> I was just going to say, losing his title would have been apt, but I doubt he would have accepted  that.
[15:03] <Eris> <Nezz> Con all was a. Bifold jealous doofus!
[15:03] <Eris> <Laurna> hey, Wait.  I like November birthdays
[15:03] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> No one wants a dress parade in snowy Rhemuth? 😄
[15:03] <Eris> <Shiral> Nobody wants to watch the Trooping of the color when it's cold and raining
[15:03] <Eris> <Revanne> I always feel sorry for Nigel and Meraude with the way Conall turned out.
[15:03] <Eris> <Laurna> same
[15:04] <Eris> <Shiral> LOL KK, did you make a conscious choice that Kelson would share the same birthday with the then Prince Charles?
[15:04] <Eris> <DFK> @Laurna do you have one?
[15:04] <KK> Yeah, but parents have only a certain amount of control re how their kids turn out. 
[15:04] <KK> Yep, Shiral.
[15:04] <Eris> <Revanne> I never noticed that Shiral.
[15:04] <Eris> <Laurna> OH  Intersting
[15:04] <Eris> <Shiral> My oldest brother and formerly my dad, both had November birthdays
[15:04] <~bynw> you can raise kids right and they still turn out to be bad
[15:04] <Eris> <Shiral> AHAH!! I suspected it for years, KK!
[15:04] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> True. I had a pastor once whose identical twin brother was in the penitentiary for murder. Same parents, same upbringing, but both men grew up making very different life choices.
[15:05] <KK> Yeah, it happens.
[15:05] <Eris> <Revanne> And sometimes kids with awful upbringing turn out well.
[15:05] <Eris> <Laurna> Kelson's birthday is only 3 days off of mine so I figured it was for me
[15:05] <The_Bee> I've always felt sympathy for Conall.  If he'd been sent to live in /Carthmoor, he might have a chance to realize his own inheritance, rather than have Kelson's rubbed in his face.
[15:05] <Eris> <Revanne> I would have Bee, but the way he treated Vanessa was awful.
[15:06] <Eris> <Laurna> Yes but Payne and Rory turned out just fine
[15:06] <Eris> <Shiral> I'm sure it was a source of deep pain for Nigel
[15:06] <KK> I don't think his face was rubbed in it.  But then, Prince Harry has always known that he was the spare, that it was extremely unlikely that he would ever be king.  Hopefully, one learns to live with it.
[15:06] <Eris> <Shiral> He had to help Kelson when he and the Kingdom really needed his guidance, but that meant he had less time to give to Conall when HE needed his father
[15:07] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I don't know, Bee. Even if he wasn't dealing with jealousy of Kelson, he was pretty entitled acting. I didn't catch on until I read the books several times that the little git was also a serial rapist, at least once he realized he could use his powers to make court ladies forget they'd been tampered with. At least Vanissa seems to have had some choice in the matter!
[15:07] <Eris> <Shiral> But then maybe Conall got an entire family's share of butt-headedness
[15:07] <The_Bee> Rory nad Payne didn't have to compete with a boy who was just enough older to be always ahead of them.
[15:07] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Imagine how much more Conall might have got away with if he'd gained Haldane powers but was in Carthmoor outside of Nigel's direct supervision!
[15:08] <Eris> <Laurna> OK but some of us have older cousins who we look up to and admire.
[15:08] <Eris> <Shiral> Hmmm, I don't think she did, Evie.  Probably even less than court ladies, since Conall didn't have to worry about some furious noble father finding out about it
[15:08] <The_Bee> There was just to real place for Conall in Rhemuth.
[15:08] <The_Bee> no real place
[15:08] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> That's true too. She might have felt like she didn't have the option to refuse a Prince.
[15:08] <Eris> <DFK> It seems to me that Harry was somewhat spoiled, getting into trouble but as far as I could see not having to face any consequences. And William always had the pressure of becoming king at some point on his shoulders while Harry could go off and do what he wanted
[15:08] <Eris> <Revanne> I wonder what Tiercel ( not sure I've remembered that right) thought hecwas up to with Conall
[15:09] <Eris> <Shiral> Maybe because Rory and Payne have different temperaments and characters. Or they were far enough down in the succession not to be as conscious of it.
[15:09] <The_Bee> Conall was Tiercel's experiment.
[15:09] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> He probably was used to responsible, dutiful Haldanes like Kelson and Nigel, and assumed Conall was of the same sort of character and wouldn't misuse his new powers.
[15:09] <KK> Things also might have been different if Kelson had had a brother or two.
[15:09] <Eris> <Laurna> Tiercel never considered Conall's temperment. he was do it only for the experment.
[15:10] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> By the time Tiercel found out Conall was a bad egg, it was too late
[15:10] <Eris> <Laurna> Or at least a sweet little sister
[15:10] <Eris> <Shiral> Tiercel wanted to prove a point, and that was more important than the fate of the kingdom, to him.
[15:10] <Eris> <Revanne> I think that it really went wrong when Dhugal came on the scene - do you agree KK?
[15:10] <Eris> <Nezz> Kinda surprising Kelsey didn't have more siblings. Heaven knows both his parents did...
[15:10] <Eris> <Shiral> True, KK. But maybe he'll have some terrific sons
[15:11] <The_Bee> a younger boy who was more naturally gifted than Conall?
[15:11] <Eris> <Shiral> According to the Codex, he did have a baby sister who didn't survive
[15:11] <Eris> <Laurna> Wait.  you can NEVER say things went wrong when Dhugal arivied.  He was the best for Kelson and for Duncan. And who cares what connell thought
[15:11] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Kelson had a little sister, but she died shortly after birth, IIRC. And after that, I think the marriage was too fraught with tension over the Deryni question.
[15:11] <KK> Well, Dhugal arrived, it certainly made things easier for Kelson, like the brother he never had.  I can see Conal getting his nose out of joint over that.
[15:11] <Eris> <Revanne> Conall could accept Kelson as King but not his closeness to an upstart borderer.
[15:11] <Eris> <Shiral> Dhugal and Kelson were more compatible, and Conall probably felt rejected by his cousin
[15:12] <Eris> <Shiral> And that may have been the last straw
[15:12] <Eris> <DFK> Tiercel always had a bee in his bonnet about two Haldanes being able to hold the power at the same time. I'm not sure he ever gave enough thought to what problems that might cause, especially with someone like Conall
[15:12] <Eris> <Shiral> Cleary he didn't think ENOUGH!
[15:13] <Eris> <Laurna> Clearly
[15:13] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Well, Tiercel paid the ultimate price for his lack of foresight
[15:13] <Eris> <Shiral> True. But he also never had to face an angry King!
[15:13] <Eris> <Laurna> and it was very fortunate indeed that Kelson and Dhugal did not pay that same price
[15:14] <Eris> <Shiral> They had a pretty soggy time, though
[15:14] <Eris> <Laurna> There was that  sadly
[15:14] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I'm being incapussitated
[15:14] <The_Bee> Tiercel was the one who suggested that a "half-Deryni" might have the same potential as a "full" Deryni.
[15:15] <Eris> <Shiral> Fortunately, Nigel also recovered
[15:15] <Eris> <DFK> Which turned out to be true. Either you were Deryni or you weren't, no half measures
[15:15] <Eris> <Revanne> The bit in the cavern where Dhugal has to heal his King and doesn't know if he can always gets to me.
[15:16] <Eris> <Laurna> I am with you on that Revanne
[15:16] <Eris> <Laurna> KK, We need more stories.
[15:16] <Eris> <DFK> Kelson and Dhugal were certainly as close as brothers and closer than omees
[15:16] <Eris> <Shiral> Healing fortunately is triggered by some great need for it to work.
[15:16] <Eris> <Nezz> At what point does the deryni blood become so diluted that you have no powers? 1 grandparent deryni - no powers? 1 great-grandparent?
[15:17] <Eris> <Shiral> I'm with you, Laurna
[15:17] <Eris> <Revanne> Definitely
[15:17] <Eris> <Laurna> It is like blue eyes.   you either get the gene or you don't.
[15:17] <Eris> <Revanne> But Dhugal doesn't know that
[15:17] <Eris> <Shiral> Although that's only true if you really DO have the gift of Healing
[15:18] <Eris> <Shiral> True, he didn't know, until he tried
[15:18] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Because so much about Healing had been lost by their time.
[15:18] <The_Bee> Yes. /A healearis born,even if they don'tknow it.
[15:18] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> The first time Dhugal and Kelson share rapport made me laugh out loud when I heard the audiobook, because when reading it for myself, it sounds like...well, a normal psychic sharing. When hearing it overly dramatized by that narrator, it sounded...um...like a truly ecstatic experience. I mean, I know the boys are very close, buuuut.... 😂
[15:19] <Eris> <Shiral> Although even having a Healer parent isn't always enough. Not all of Rhys and Evaine's children had the Healing powers
[15:19] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I really want Duncan or Dhugal to find the Annales Queroni and hopefully rediscover some of that lost Healing lore.
[15:19] <Eris> <Laurna> Actually I first Read it as a truly excstatic experience.  Close to rapture.
[15:19] <Eris> <Shiral> They're not THAT close!
[15:19] <Eris> <Laurna> Of which they both had to back off
[15:20] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I think Evie meant that it sounded a bit more along the lines of . . . physical ecstasy than was actually the case or what KK had meant.
[15:20] <Eris> <Shiral> I have a feeling they've BOTH read that scroll.
[15:20] <Eris> <Nezz> Is anyone ever likely to rediscover the turn-off-the-deryniness ability? In canon?
[15:20] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> In this case, I thought we were going to have to cut to pictures of flowers and sunsets, and return to a scene with one of them smoking a cigarette while the other clutched at an L-shaped bedsheet. 😂
[15:20] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> ROFL
[15:20] <The_Bee> Could Rhysel be a carrier of the Healer gene?
[15:20] <Eris> <Revanne> I read it as they were both physically and emotionally exhausted and therefore emotions were heightened.
[15:20] <Eris> <Laurna> LOL  Evie
[15:21] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Probably, Bee.
[15:21] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Even though she is not herself a Healer, she's still Rhys' daughter.
[15:21] <Eris> <Revanne> In a dank cavern? 😉
[15:21] <Eris> <Shiral> And Tieg and Jerusha were both Healers
[15:21] <KK> Ecstasy can take many forms.  ;-)
[15:21] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Speaking of Rhys, can someone ask him to Portal over to me?  My eyelids have reached the point of healing at which they are itchy and it's driving me guano.
[15:21] <Eris> <Nezz> I wanna know which one is the smoker
[15:21] <Eris> <Laurna> I like that KK
[15:22] <Eris> <Laurna> I would like to know what happened to Tieg and his children.
[15:22] <KK> Wat's happened to your eyelids, DR?
[15:22] <Eris> <Shiral> Would you settle for Dhugal?
[15:22] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I had an eyelid lift on Friday.
[15:22] <Eris> <DFK> Me too Laurna
[15:22] <Eris> <Laurna> How did that go DR
[15:22] <KK> Ah.  That would do it.  Didn't they give you any meds for that?
[15:23] <Eris> <Shiral> Umm...a few hundred years too early even for Tobacco?
[15:23] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yes, I expected it to be canceled for inclement weather, but as long as they were willing to do it and I could get there and home without endangering myself or Mom (the driver), I was willing to go as I've been trying to get it scheduled since February.
[15:23] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> They don't hurt.  They just itch.
[15:23] <The_Bee> I'm tentatively going on the theory that Healing is a recessive on the X chromosome. A male needs one copy; a female needs two to be a Healer..
[15:23] <KK> Meds for itch.
[15:23] <Eris> <Nezz> Oh sure, I'm just thinking hypothetically, based on personality.
[15:23] <Eris> <DFK> Are they now out of your line of sight?
[15:23] <Eris> <Shiral> Tee hee!
[15:23] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I needed it because the Botox I get for my migraines had caused the eyelids to droop into my field of vision.
[15:23] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Once the swelling goes down, I believe so, yes.
[15:24] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I have to put antibiotic ointment on the stitches (which are the dissolving type, I believe), and that helps but I don't think I can double up on topicals.
[15:24] <Eris> <Laurna> Don't touch them, or do so only with a ointment
[15:25] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I haven't, or at least not when I was awake.  I make no promises for my sleeping self.
[15:25] <Eris> <Laurna> Eye mask time
[15:25] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> and I wash my hands before I put on the ointment, too, and I use a Q-tip to do that.
[15:25] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I'm doing warm compresses (per postop instructions).
[15:26] <Eris> <Revanne> I'm sure they can trade something with the Shire for some pipeweed. Oops sorry I'm universe hopping again.
[15:26] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I was doing one during Zoom since my video was being asinine anyway.
[15:26] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> There might even be a point to wearing mascara again once I'm healed up.
[15:27] <Eris> <Laurna> For me Mascara only makes me look like I have black eyes
[15:27] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> The last time I tried to put on eye makeup, mascara wound up on my lids rather than my lashes.
[15:27] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Not that I wear makeup at all more than a couple of times a year anyway.
[15:28] <Eris> <Shiral> Mascara doesn't work for me at all
[15:28] <Eris> <Laurna> same
[15:28] <Eris> <Shiral> And for the last two years, I can't see the point of lipstick what with having to wear a mask at worok
[15:28] <KK> A friend here in Staunton had an eyelift, because her lids had gotten so droopy that she was having to put tape on to be able to see straight.  It sounds like you were battling a similar problem.  But hers turned out great, and I'd guess that your will, too.  When do you go back for post-op visit?
[15:28] <Eris> <Shiral> work
[15:28] <Eris> <Revanne> I decided about 20 years ago I would try wearing eye shadow again and my new colours were immediately half- inched by my then teenage daughters. I gave up.
[15:28] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Thursday, KK.
[15:28] <The_Bee> What was the year with many deaths in the Thuryn family?
[15:29] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> 948
[15:29] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> well, and 917-918
[15:29] <Eris> <Revanne> I'm allergic to mascara and lipstick.
[15:29] <Eris> <Shiral> Yeah, that wasn't a great year, 917
[15:29] <The_Bee> Oh, yes. Wil lweeverlearn what hapened?
[15:29] <Eris> <DFK> So sad, I cried a lot when Rhys died
[15:30] <The_Bee> in 948, I meant
[15:30] <KK> Yeah, 948.  I'm eager to delve into that--which hopefully will happen right after the first of the year, now that office is getting squared away.
[15:30] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I lobbed the book across the room and cried.  The only time in my life I've ever thrown any book anywhere.  I was so mad.
[15:30] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Gigi is in my way again
[15:30] <Eris> <Laurna> still cries over Rhys
[15:30] <Eris> <Revanne> Me too, but not as bad as when Javan died.
[15:31] <Eris> <Nezz> Woot! waits for the new year anxiously
[15:31] <The_Bee> Isn't 948 long before Killington?
[15:31] <Eris> <DFK> The only other time I was that upset was in GotP when Alaric was killed
[15:31] <Eris> <Laurna> Rhys could have saved Javan If he had been alive to do so
[15:31] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I cried over him too, and I was angry at those [many, many expletives deleted] Regents, but I knew Javan's death was coming.  Rhys' came out of nowhere.
[15:31] <Eris> <Revanne> I think it's a great drama KK but I so wanted him to succeed.
[15:31] <~bynw> Rhys was such a needless and horrible death. Just an accident that could have been avoided. But it did make the world seem more real because that could happen in real life easy enough
[15:31] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yes, entirely true and magnificently written.
[15:31] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> still infuriating.
[15:32] <Eris> <Laurna> A leaf on the wind.
[15:32] <Eris> <Laurna> Oops wrong universe
[15:32] <Eris> <Revanne> That's what makes the stories so compelling.
[15:32] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Too soon, Laurna. 😄
[15:32] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> smacks Laurna with a swordfish.
[15:32] <~bynw> still another needless death Laurna
[15:32] <KK> Yep, I decided early on that I was going to be realistic in that regard.  Sometimes good people die for no good reason, or for a stupid one.  They're called accidents.
[15:32] <Eris> <DFK> Since I knew what was going to happen with Javan could not make myself read that one. Still haven't
[15:33] <Eris> <Laurna> Laurna takes her character and runs away
[15:33] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I share Gina Torres' headcanon that Zoe was pregnant so there's a little baby Washburn somewhere in that 'verse.
[15:33] <~bynw> it would be nice to have a Bob Ross moment of happy little accidents
[15:33] <Eris> <Nezz> Curse you and your sudden but inevitable betrayal!
[15:33] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Plus, Rhys' death at that critical point in history was a catalyst for everything else to go pear shaped
[15:33] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Also true.
[15:33] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Still infuriating.
[15:33] <~bynw> Javan would have been a great King for both Human and Deryni
[15:33] <Eris> <Laurna> YES YES YES  DR toZoe being pregnant
[15:33] <Eris> <Nezz> DFK, I hear ya
[15:34] <Eris> <Revanne> I think Kelson is the King Javan should have been.
[15:34] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I feel like Kelson was able to do a lot of the things Javan was trying to do (and would have been able to do, if his court had been less full of power-hungry jackasses with axes to grind).
[15:34] <~bynw> I think Javan might have been even better than Kelson
[15:34] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I like that Kelson's heir is named Javan, at least according to the Codex
[15:34] <The_Bee> WOULD have meen, IMO
[15:34] <Eris> <Revanne> Agreed
[15:34] <Eris> <DFK> Sometimes it seems that there are just too many senseless accidents and deaths. Start to feel that Evil is winning
[15:35] <Eris> <Laurna> Prince Javan as Kelson's son, is a great name
[15:35] <The_Bee> Javan son of Kelson?  Make it so, KK!
[15:35] <KK> Yes, he would have.  and for his death scene, I was drawing on that image in the film of Becket, when he's on his knees and looking up at the knight who calmly lifts the sword with point down and drives it into Becket's back.  Shivers even now.  I had to wait until no one else was in the house before writing that scene.
[15:35] <Eris> <Shiral> I Wonder if Kelson learned about Javan as a child and had a lot of unanswered questions about his many times removed great uncle
[15:35] <Eris> <Shiral> Whom he very much admired
[15:35] <~bynw> well in another universe. Didn't Doctor McCoy warn Captain Kirk that Evil usually trimuphs unless Good is very careful.
[15:35] <Eris> <Laurna> Shivers
[15:35] <Eris> <Shiral> So much so that he named his first born son after him
[15:36] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I usually cry when I kill my darlings. Unless they're gits, in which case I smile a lot. 😄
[15:36] <Eris> <Revanne> Or blow an entire royal family up, Evie
[15:36] <The_Bee> "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
[15:36] <Eris> <Laurna> I try very hard not to kill of anyone
[15:36] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yes, Bynw, because in a fairer, kinder world, Javan could have had Rhys, Evaine, Tavis, and Cathan's boys right beside him.
[15:36] <Eris> <Shiral> I spent a lot of time wanting to slap Rhys Michael silly. Then I ended up crying for HIS death, too!
[15:36] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Not the whole family, Revanne.  😄
[15:36] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> And Queron.
[15:37] <Eris> <Shiral> Just enough of them, Evie!
[15:37] <Eris> <Laurna> I could easily learn more about Sir Si
[15:37] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yes, I wanted to shake RM at various points, but wow did he suffer for his youthful arrogance.
[15:37] <Eris> <Revanne> I'm still traumatised. Is that a nice thing to do to a friendly monarchist!
[15:38] <Eris> <Shiral> He DID learn a lesson and redeemed himself, thereby. I always feel sad during the scene where Michaela tells Owain his father has died
[15:38] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> At least I didn't get you attached to them first!  Mikhail in "A Time to Heal" was the hardest one for me to kill off, but there was no way to resolve the situation without that.
[15:39] <KK> btw, Evie, I did get your files, but haven't had a chance to look at them yet.
[15:39] <The_Bee> Are you guys talking fan-fic now?
[15:39] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> And it gave me a chance to research medieval funeral customs for children
[15:39] <Eris> <Laurna> Evie, you took out Dhugals first love.  That was tough hearted.  but I do like his second wife very much
[15:39] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I have enablers fussing at me to go ahead and write the self-indulgent prequel to my original story, to tell the story of my main character's parents together since I have to kill off her mother for the story to work but I really didn't want to.
[15:39] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Glad you got them, KK. Hope you enjoy the story.  🙂
[15:39] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Yeah, I love Catriona, so that was also very difficult
[15:39] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Never mind that it requires, oh, sitting down and writing.  ;)
[15:40] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> That's why she keeps turning back up in flashbacks.
[15:40] <Eris> <Laurna> I think you will love that story KK
[15:40] <Eris> <Revanne> Pat/ Demercia read TBP before KJY and she has a sympathy for Rhys Michael I can never manage.
[15:40] <Eris> <Shiral> Oh that little detail!
[15:40] <Eris> <Shiral> The butt in chair, part!
[15:40] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Fun thing about writing stories.  Stories.
[15:40] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Less fun thing about writing stories.  Writing.
[15:41] <Eris> <Shiral> Unless you're having a very fruitful writing session
[15:41] <Eris> <Revanne> I wish we could all sit around a fire and tell our stories.
[15:41] <Eris> <Laurna> Not the less fun about writing stories is the bad spelling and the grammer and trying to figure out what you really mean on the second read through
[15:41] <Eris> <Shiral> Get it on the page. Then clean it up
[15:41] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I feel sorry for Rhys Michael. Yes, he was far too oblivious for his own (and the kingdom's) good as a younger teen, but he certainly paid for that once he became King.  😦  And having raised teens, I know how clueless they can be while at the same time thinking they are know-it-alls
[15:42] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yup.  It's okay for a first draft to suck.  A first draft that sucks is better than a perfect draft that doesn't exist.
[15:42] <Eris> <Shiral> Well.... I finally had to forgive RM, since he DID learn a very important lesson and painfully
[15:42] <Eris> <DFK> @KK I did send you "The Knighting of Liam" at least Ii thought I did. I wondered if you got it
[15:42] <Eris> <Nezz> DR, truth!
[15:42] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> We need KK Con, with a storytelling circle where we listen to KK's stories and/or share fanfic
[15:42] <Eris> <Laurna> I was furious with the guy who took ways his antiboitic ointment. that was horrirfic  in my eyes
[15:43] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> There was an attempt at organizing a Deryni Con.
[15:43] <Eris> <Shiral> Time to start writing more fanfic
[15:43] <Eris> <Revanne> Oh they exist in my head but just won't get onto the paper, drat them.
[15:43] <The_Bee> We tried a KK con.  It didn't work out well.
[15:43] <KK> We could try it again.
[15:43] <Eris> <Nezz> Woot!
[15:43] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I think it was talicil, antifebrile/pain reliever similar to aspirin.
[15:44] <The_Bee> If people are willing and able to do the work of planning and runing it.
[15:44] <~bynw> to be fair, when that was being thought about KK was still in Ireland
[15:44] <The_Bee> running
[15:44] <Eris> <Laurna> I am playing with the war in 983  some day I will figure out who caused the "very cold Winter"  KK do you think it was the Torenthi or the Gwyneddians?
[15:45] <Eris> <DFK> @Laurna what antibiotic oinment are you talking about and for whom?
[15:45] <KK> Maybe just Mother Nature. :-)
[15:45] <Eris> <Revanne> Rhys Michael's arm which was allowed to go poisoned.
[15:45] <Eris> <Laurna> I was talking about the Talicil.  Just could not rembmerthe name.  A church man took if for RM
[15:45] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Still requires someone with con-running experience or at least SCA event stewarding.  (Which I do not have.  I have co-run a feast, run children's activities a few times, and a couple of other things.)
[15:46] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I don't think it was an ointment though; I think it was a tea or something.
[15:46] <Eris> <Shiral> Took it from him because the Custodes are Butt-heads!
[15:46] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Among less publishable terms.
[15:46] <Eris> <Shiral> It was a powdered medicine to be taken in liquid
[15:46] <Eris> <Shiral> They also seemed FAR too interested in Minution
[15:47] <Eris> <Laurna> I do not recall the details. Only that it should have saved him
[15:47] <The_Bee> A thought, KK:  Was knowing Cameron helpful in writing teen-age boys in your stories?
[15:47] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Yes, above and beyond even what normally would have been practiced by physicians back in the day
[15:47] <KK> Not really.
[15:47] <Eris> <Revanne> The Custodes were very frightening
[15:47] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yeah, that's a terrible way to die, with a badly broken wrist turning septic and bled to death?  Yikes.
[15:48] <Eris> <Shiral> They decided RM was expendable--getting ideas about not wanting to be controlled by his regents!
[15:48] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> That's why I say I wanted to shake him when he was younger but holy cats he paid for his youthful arrogance and then some, far more punishment than the crime merited.
[15:48] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Hopefully KK wasn't keeping Cameron locked away and bleeding him on the regular. 😉
[15:48] <Eris> <Shiral> Well no I think that would be frowned upon!
[15:48] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Or throwing away medicine to help a broken wrist.
[15:49] <The_Bee> i ws thinking of understanding what teens are.
[15:49] <Eris> <Shiral> It was to help his wound fever, I think
[15:49] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> We know, Bee.  We're just giving KK a ration of crap.
[15:49] <The_Bee> are like, I meant
[15:49] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> And the pain.
[15:49] <Eris> <Revanne> The scene where they write the Codicil to Rhys M's will is brilliant.
[15:49] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> YES
[15:49] <Eris> <Laurna> Agreed
[15:49] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Oh, I know, Bee. I just couldn't resist sharing the mental image of KK "researching" teen boys too closely to make sure the character reactions were consistent. 😉
[15:49] <Eris> <Shiral> I know. And the scene where he comes out of the PRivy and teases Rhun about having accomplices
[15:49] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> That's really where he redeems himself, I think.  He knows he's doomed, but his sons and his kingdom don't necessarily have to be.
[15:50] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Nor his beloved wife.
[15:50] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I promise I didn't set fire to Windsor Castle in my own research for BoP.  😉
[15:50] <Eris> <Revanne> And it's such a relief to have a decent priest at last.
[15:50] <Eris> <Shiral> "You want to go take a look and see if he's still in there?"
[15:50] <Eris> <DFK> The behavior of many of the churchmen in these books certainly gives one a very jaundiced view of religion
[15:50] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> And say what one will about RM, but he and Michaela really do love each other and the children (even the one that isn't born yet during TBP).
[15:50] <Eris> <Revanne> Power and piety are a very dangerous combination.
[15:51] <Eris> <Nezz> My gosh, those evil priests made me so angry!
[15:51] <Eris> <Laurna> Instead of the book being named the Bastard Prince.  It should have been the Bastard Custodials.
[15:51] <Eris> <Shiral> Or too much love of power and NOT enough piety
[15:51] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Of many of them, yes.  Then there's Duncan, whose behavior is pretty exemplary.  🙂
[15:51] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> And Denis
[15:51] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> And Cardiel
[15:51] <Eris> <Shiral> Was very satisfied seeing Loris and Gorony hang
[15:51] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> And poor Jorian
[15:51] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Yes, but Denis can be pretty ruthless, much as I love him too
[15:51] <Eris> <Shiral> And Bradene
[15:52] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yes, but he's ruthless for the right reasons, to preserve the safety of his people.
[15:52] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> And now that I'm middle-aged and cranky, I have a lot more sympathy for Bishop Arilan than I did on my first few trips through the books.
[15:52] <Eris> <Shiral> I think Alaric things Denis behaves as if he sat down on something sharp
[15:52] <Eris> <Revanne> Actually the one I really admire is Cardiel because as a human he has nothing really to gain by changing his mind about Deryni.
[15:52] <Eris> <Laurna> And our beloved Bishop of Ratharkin.  Sorry his name escapes me at the moment
[15:52] <Eris> <DFK> I once heard that one should beware of anyone who thinks god speaks only to him.
[15:52] <Eris> <Shiral> Istelyn
[15:52] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Henry Istelyn
[15:53] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Cardiel is a lovely person.
[15:53] <Eris> <Laurna> Yes  I loved Henry Istelyn when he and Dhugal were caged up together
[15:53] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I got the impression Dhugal was fairly fond of him too.
[15:53] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I love Cardiel also.
[15:53] <Eris> <Shiral> Hope Istelyn now has a nice tomb in the cathedral at Ratharkin
[15:53] <The_Bee> Didn't Cardielhave Deryni relatives, so they weren't utter strangers to him?k
[15:54] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Writing "The Miracles of St. Jorian the Martyr" gave me a lot more sympathy for Denis, too, since I had to spend rather a lot of time with him.
[15:54] <Eris> <Revanne> Denis I can admire but a little would go a long way.
[15:54] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yes, he's related to Richenda in some way.
[15:54] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Cardiel is related to Richenda
[15:54] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> (Cardiel is related to Richenda, that is.  A distant cousin, I believe.)
[15:54] <Eris> <DFK> Well he was made a Saint so I would think he would not only have a lovely tomb but also shrines
[15:54] <Eris> <Laurna> Related by marriage some how
[15:54] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Though did he know that Richenda was Deryni at the outset of the stories?
[15:54] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I don't think so.
[15:54] <The_Bee> richend  call Cardiel her uncle.  her mother's step-brother or something like that.
[15:55] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I think that was played pretty close to the chest until she married Alaric.
[15:55] <Eris> <Revanne> But I don't think he knows she is Deryni when he and Denis first discuss Deryni
[15:55] <Eris> <Shiral> It may still be on a "need to know" basis
[15:55] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yeah, she didn't even tell Alaric until she needed him to know to help save Brendan.
[15:56] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Richenda's younger than a lot of the "grown-ups" in this part of the stories, but she was still raised in a pretty seriously Deryniphobic culture; she would keep that secret as much as she could.
[15:56] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I know he seemed fairly neutral on the Deryni question until Denis revealed himself to him, and even seemed somewhat so after that, though repeated exposures to known Deryni eventually brought him over into the pro-Deryni camp.  Or at least the "Deryni powers aren't inherently evil" camp, since I'm sure he would still be extremely leery of Deryni who used their powers inappropriately.
[15:56] <Eris> <Revanne> Poor Cardiel nearly has a fit when Denis displays his aura, and then Alaric tries to drown him.
[15:57] <Eris> <Shiral> I doubt Bran Coris knew
[15:57] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I don't think so, no.
[15:57] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> That was an arranged marriage, probably better than some but not a love match or even a marriage that grew in love.
[15:57] <Eris> <Shiral> Joke's on Bran, since his son is Deryni
[15:57] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> He wasn't terrible to her, but he wasn't a good husband either.
[15:58] <Eris> <Revanne> I got the impression he honoured her as the mother of his son, but not for herself.
[15:58] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yes.
[15:58] <Eris> <Laurna> agreed
[15:59] <KK> Yes.
[15:59] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> And I got the impression he was less than sympathetic when their daughter died.
[15:59] <Eris> <Nezz> I thought they'd clarified that Bran didn't know until she tried to kill him.
[15:59] <The_Bee> Did Bran want custody of his deryni son because of love, or from a desire for power?
[15:59] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Yes.
[15:59] <Eris> <Shiral> Both, I think
[15:59] <Eris> <Shiral> He does love his son.
[15:59] <Eris> <Shiral> Or did
[15:59] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> I do think he loved Brendan, but he also wanted power.
[15:59] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Brendan was his heir
[15:59] <Eris> <Laurna> A man has to have an Heir
[15:59] <KK> Exactly.
[16:00] <Eris> <Shiral> He didn't want his heir in the custody of the King he'd just betrayed
[16:00] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> He would have seen himself getting power, riches, and glory for his son to inherit after him.
[16:00] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> Well, I can see his perspective there.
[16:00] <Eris> <Nezz> He never knew about Richenda's power, so I doubt he'd had enough time to really think about Brendon being deryni before he died.
[16:00] <Eris> <DesertRose (she/her)> (Not wanting his son in the custody of a king he'd betrayed)
[16:01] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Can you imagine Brendan falling into Wencit's hands, though, if the duel had gone the other way?
[16:01] <Eris> <Nezz> eeeesh! 😦
[16:01] <Eris> <Shiral> Bran does say during the Duel Arcane scene that he doesn't want Richenda to have Brendan back
[16:01] <Eris> <Laurna> Yikes
[16:01] <KK> Shudder!
[16:01] <The_Bee> Alaric made sure Brendan got his rightful inheritance.
[16:01] <Eris> <Shiral> That would NOT be good for the Haldanes!
[16:01] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> "So sorry not sorry the useful human traitor is dead, but I'll take his son as my ward now, kthxbai."
[16:02] <Eris> <Revanne> I'm going to head off to bed. Lovely to have time for a really long chat - I really appreciate the early start each month.
[16:02] <Eris> <Shiral> Night, Anne. Sleep well
[16:02] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Good to see you!
[16:02] <Eris> <Laurna> Good Night Revanne
[16:02] <Eris> <Nezz> Night Revanne, thanks for hanging out! 🙂
[16:02] <The_Bee> Nighters, Revanne. have a good week.
[16:02] <KK> I wondered how long  you'd last, Revanne.  But lovely to have you here for so long.
[16:02] <Eris> <Laurna> Lets have more tea and chats
[16:03] <Eris> <Revanne> Night all - see you next month unless the insomnimonster comes calling in which case will drop in earlier.
[16:03] <KK> Nighters!
[16:03] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> I will head out very soon too. I have a friend visiting in town and want to catch up with her before she leaves again. I didn't get the text she was in town until chat had already started, and ironically enough I had just left the place where she is having a late lunch with friends so I could get back here in time for Zoom!
[16:03] <Eris> <Laurna> I would so love to see Kelson's face with Araxie dilevers twin girls.
[16:04] <Eris> <Shiral> Well..for one thing I think he'd soon be besotted with them.
[16:04] <Eris> <Laurna> Have a good get together with friends Eve
[16:04] <Eris> <Shiral> And Araxie would prove she can bring  healthy living babies into the world without undue stress to herself. Night, Evie
[16:04] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> If Araxie gives birth to twins without benefit of painkillers, Kelson had best wait until the next day to see her. 😄
[16:04] <Eris> <Laurna> Once he got over that Araxie was doing well
[16:04] <KK> Gaa, for any father having to contend with twin daughters!  But we'll see.
[16:05] <The_Bee> Bye, Evie enjoy time with friends
[16:05] <Eris> <Shiral> I have a feeling he'd be a doting sort of father
[16:05] <Eris> <Nezz> Cya Evie
[16:05] <Eris> <Laurna> I would love to see
[16:05] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Twin beautiful daughters, if they resemble their parents. 😄
[16:05] <Eris> <Shiral> Cute little twincesses!
[16:05] <KK> And I think I'm also going to check out.  It's suppertime in Virginia, and I've got the hungries.  Next week in chat at 7!
[16:05] <Eris> <Shiral> Night, KK. Have a good week
[16:05] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> See y'all later!
[16:05] <Eris> <Laurna> Good night KK. Have a nice week
[16:05] <Eris> <Shiral> Keep clearing that desk!
[16:06] <Eris> <Nezz> Have a great week, Kk, thanks for the chat. 🙂
[16:06] <The_Bee> Bye, KK! Have a very good week.
[16:06] <Eris> <Evie the Verbose> Bye
[16:06] <KK> Good week to you all!  Nighters!
[16:06] * KK steps onto her Portal, waves goodnight, and disappears in a shower of green sparkles.
[16:06] * KK (49ab39c5@owirc-khp3ee.mibbit.com) Quit (Quit: https://mibbit.com Online IRC Client)

President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com