• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

Today at 09:30:50 PM
that's fine Revanne
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,628
  • Total Topics: 2,741
  • Online today: 618
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 25
Total: 25
Google
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 16, 2024, 11:24:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Two Kingdoms 25: Entrevue

Started by DoctorM, August 13, 2022, 07:41:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DerynifanK

Courts were often hotbeds of intrigue and the king or queen had to be on their toes at all times. And that is within the court, never mind what their other opponents are up to, although so far we are not really hearing much about what they are doing. So many fascinating possibilities here. I can't say I think Aurelian is going to be very pleased with this new layer of administration, especially if they are going to try to give him orders. Wonder how Christian feels about it. In fact, I'm curious as to how much influence he actually has over Charissa as far as governing is concerned.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

DoctorM

Quote from: DerynifanK on August 17, 2022, 08:48:40 AMCourts were often hotbeds of intrigue and the king or queen had to be on their toes at all times. And that is within the court, never mind what their other opponents are up to, although so far we are not really hearing much about what they are doing. So many fascinating possibilities here. I can't say I think Aurelian is going to be very pleased with this new layer of administration, especially if they are going to try to give him orders. Wonder how Christian feels about it. In fact, I'm curious as to how much influence he actually has over Charissa as far as governing is concerned.

Christian I think has a very fine line to walk. He's the queen's man, which everyone knows. But he's also not from the ranks of the high nobility. He knows that many people assume he's the queen's kept plaything, that he's slept his way to power. He's run his family lands and the lands he has down in the far south of Bremagne, and he's competent at that-- but he's young and has spent his life as a light-horse captain. He knows that he won't be a general. He's the Queen's Remembrancer, which is an odd post-- half advisor, half inspector-general. I think he's been very cautious about exerting influence or being seen to be too forward. But after a dozen or so years with her, she does trust him absolutely. She'd at least listen to him on most things.

DerynifanK

I like Christian a lot. He's more than a light horse captain. He is also a well educated man and historian with a large store of knowledge which enables him to advise Charissa. Wonder if she consulted him at all before choosing her new bishop/administrator. I also wonder how he feels about bishops in secular roles. At least Charissa knows she can trust him absolutely, he always has her best interests at heart. I would like to know more about his role as remembrancer in her kingdom as I am often not really clear about what he does.
I am also interested in FitzAlan. It does not appear that he really knows Kelson who is prepared to be a good king and probably a great king if he gets the chance. I wonder how well he knows Nigel.  Lots of possibilities here.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Nezz

Quote from: DoctorM on August 17, 2022, 08:13:28 PMHe's the Queen's Remembrancer...

Is that a real thing? Not something you created for your story? If it's historical, is there one I might know?

DoctorM

Quote from: Nezz on August 18, 2022, 08:20:00 PM
Quote from: DoctorM on August 17, 2022, 08:13:28 PMHe's the Queen's Remembrancer...

Is that a real thing? Not something you created for your story? If it's historical, is there one I might know?

It's a real post, and a very old one in England-- goes back to Henry II. The King's Remembrancer has a brief to "to put the Lord Treasurer and the Barons of Court in remembrance of such things as were to be called upon and dealt with for the benefit of the Crown". The Lord Mayor of London still has a Remembrancer, I think. I like the sound of the title.

DoctorM

Quote from: DerynifanK on August 18, 2022, 09:28:48 AMI like Christian a lot. He's more than a light horse captain. He is also a well educated man and historian with a large store of knowledge which enables him to advise Charissa. Wonder if she consulted him at all before choosing her new bishop/administrator. I also wonder how he feels about bishops in secular roles. At least Charissa knows she can trust him absolutely, he always has her best interests at heart. I would like to know more about his role as remembrancer in her kingdom as I am often not really clear about what he does.
I am also interested in FitzAlan. It does not appear that he really knows Kelson who is prepared to be a good king and probably a great king if he gets the chance. I wonder how well he knows Nigel.  Lots of possibilities here.

Remembrancer as a post goes back to the mid-1100s in England (and the Lord Mayor of London still has one of his own, I believe). It's a flexible job description, but the earliest brief was "to put the Lord Treasurer and the Barons of Court in remembrance of such things as were to be called upon and dealt with for the benefit of the Crown". I think it works out as a mix of advisor and inspector-general-- someone a monarch could rely on and send out to see if his subordinates were carrying out policy.

Christian at the moment is down in the Forcinn, trying to ferret out who or what this mysterious third force is. He's good at research and running down sources.

Nezz

Quote from: DoctorM on August 18, 2022, 11:09:28 PM...It's a flexible job description, but the earliest brief was "to put the Lord Treasurer and the Barons of Court in remembrance of such things as were to be called upon and dealt with for the benefit of the Crown". I think it works out as a mix of advisor and inspector-general-- someone a monarch could rely on and send out to see if his subordinates were carrying out policy.

Oooh, I really like the sound of that. I think I may have to borrow that job description for a character in my book: I was never quite sure exactly what his title was since he did a number of things, but I think "Remembrancer" fits.  :)

DoctorM

Quote from: Nezz on August 19, 2022, 12:13:28 PM
Quote from: DoctorM on August 18, 2022, 11:09:28 PM...It's a flexible job description, but the earliest brief was "to put the Lord Treasurer and the Barons of Court in remembrance of such things as were to be called upon and dealt with for the benefit of the Crown". I think it works out as a mix of advisor and inspector-general-- someone a monarch could rely on and send out to see if his subordinates were carrying out policy.

Oooh, I really like the sound of that. I think I may have to borrow that job description for a character in my book: I was never quite sure exactly what his title was since he did a number of things, but I think "Remembrancer" fits.  :)

It's a great job title. And I envy whoever the Remembrancer to the Lord Mayor of London is these days. The business cards must be wonderful! And I love exchanges such as: "And what do you do, sir?" "I'm the Lord Mayor's Remembrancer."