• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 78
Total: 78
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 02:23:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Religions

Started by DoctorM, June 22, 2022, 06:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmcd

I'm sorry that I have only vague memories.

There is a printed story of Arilan studying the Talmud. Not The Deryni Archives, the ... other one?

I'm pretty sure I saw a Gwynedd bishop getting "Your Grace" and blinking because it doesn't match seeing others get "Your Excellency".

I'm pretty sure Katherine Kurtz mentioned somewhere that Deryni got the hate that In Our Timeline went to Jewish and Muslim people.

DerynifanK

The story is "Arilan the Talmud Student" written by Daniel Kohanski and Jay Barry Asneer. It is in Deryni Tales, an Anthology of Deryni stories written by various authors and selected by Katherine. There is one story, The Green Tower, written by Katherine. Here Arilan is 14 and a student when he first hears of the Talmud and develops a desire to study it. He eventually finds an elderly rabbi who agrees to help him. It is a lovely story and I think you would enjoy it. It provides some unique insights into Arilan's early years.DFK
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

JudithR

I've just re-read the Introduction to the 2004 edition of Deryni Rising mentioning that "the Church of Gwynedd takes on a profile more high Anglican than Roman Catholic".  For your amusement, I've attached a picture of current "liturgical" instruction from the liberal catholic (high church) tradition of the Church of England.
"Judith may be found browsing in these dubious volumes" (9 letters)

Evie

LOL! As a member of the Altar Guild, I feel that! Also,no soap or detergent in the cruets, please, unless you plan to be the one rinsing all the suds out afterwards so our wine doesn't end up with bubbles next Sunday!
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Demercia

Nor indeed cleaning a chalice with silver polish and not washing it properly afterwards (happened to a colleague of mine)
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

Avisa

I have no experience with church equipment (am Jewish) but I know from kiddush cup experience that you better wash out any silver that had wine in it ASAP, or it will corrode and make all future drinks taste awful...

DoctorM

Quote from: Avisa on December 11, 2023, 11:11:17 PMI have no experience with church equipment (am Jewish) but I know from kiddush cup experience that you better wash out any silver that had wine in it ASAP, or it will corrode and make all future drinks taste awful...

I hadn't thought about that! Good advice!

Shiral

Quote from: Evie on December 10, 2023, 12:04:23 PMLOL! As a member of the Altar Guild, I feel that! Also,no soap or detergent in the cruets, please, unless you plan to be the one rinsing all the suds out afterwards so our wine doesn't end up with bubbles next Sunday!
I wonder if Kelric Morgan will have some fun with this concept..
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

JudithR

I wonder if they have as much problem estimating the probable numbers of communicants at Midnight Mass as we have (look at last year's, think of a number, half it, add twenty, give up).  We do reserve.

DoctorM

Quote from: JudithR on December 19, 2023, 10:08:52 AMI wonder if they have as much problem estimating the probable numbers of communicants at Midnight Mass as we have (look at last year's, think of a number, half it, add twenty, give up).  We do reserve.

I am not a very religious person, but I do try to attend Christmas Eve midnight mass at the Episcopal church downtown. It's a lovely old church, and the communicants at midnight mass are usually very lovely people.

JudithR

One of my favourite services.  A busy time for the ecclesiastical house elves though. 

revanne

Not to mention you have absolutely no idea how many of those present will receive communion. Made even more fun since Covid when not everyone now receives the wine.

And then there is a problem with carol sheets. One year when I was Vicar on a big council estate outside Birkenhead (when Evie used to call me a fierce wild priest!) things were as normal until about 2 minutes before the service so we went ahead and used our fairly limited number of carol sheets. What I didn't know was that since the local RC church had decided to hold their "midnight" mass at 9.30 a breakaway segment of their congregation had decided to come for an actual midnight up the hill at the Anglican Church and about 30 extra people piled in at 2 minutes to kick-off. Running out of Carol sheets we rapidly gave out hymn books while someone hastily compiled a dual set of numbers. All well and good except it transpired that the verses didn't necessarily correlate either. 

On a different but related note it's interesting that none of the local RC population seemed fazed that I was a woman - my wedding ring and husband were far more puzzling.

Happy days!
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Demercia

I could so use the services of some house elves just now.  I promise I would give them socks on Boxing Day.
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

JudithR

This house elf is making frantic lists for the next few days.  We have two weddings (small) today and a funeral in the Octave as well as the usual services.

The crib is in pieces in two different locations  and I am obsessing about batteries, sufficient oil in the candles to see us through, and the correct Orders of Service for the plethora of services.  As a Reader, I don't, this year, (thank you new Incumbent) have to preach or act as Liturgical Deacon...

We can't match Revanne's extra attendees at Midnight, but are sending orisons skywards that all who attend are (reasonably) sober.