• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

May 16, 2024, 09:30:50 PM
that's fine Revanne
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,628
  • Total Topics: 2,741
  • Online today: 41
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 35
Total: 35
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 18, 2024, 06:27:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Rhettice

Started by Cathabeth, April 12, 2022, 08:23:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cathabeth

Has anyone ever done a fanfic of Princess Rhettice, or does anyone know what happened to her after she disappeared?  Did she have children/grandchildren?
Cathabeth

Evie

I don't know, but it's interesting that Alaric's full sister also had that name. She was Bronwyn Rhetice Morgan.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

Laurna

This is what I had read in the Codex and listed under my descendants page:

...King Cinhil, King Urien, Swynbeth, Tiphane, Rhysel, Evaine, Camber.

Rhetice, Princess Haldane
      Born: April 6, 1020
      Daughter of Cinhil Hereditary Prince of Gwynedd and Micole Lady of Dhassa
      At the Yule Ball in 1039 she meet a gentleman who was thin, dark, chin-bearded and dressed in grey.  He later said he was an Old friend, AElius Nemo "No One" from Rum.
      On her 20th natal day Rhetice asked her Uncle, King Malcolm for her to wed AElius, "You know that I cannot!" he replied. She disappeared that night never to be seen from again.
      The progeny of the fair lady Rhetice would be the next heirs to the throne of Gwynedd after the families of Nigel Duke of Carthmoor and Richard Late Duke of Carthmoor. (Codex page 210)

I do not think I have seen anything more about her.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

To date, no one has written about Rhetice that I know of.
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

DoctorM

Quote from: Shiral on April 13, 2022, 12:50:54 PMTo date, no one has written about Rhetice that I know of.

It sounds like the makings of a good ghost story.

DoctorM

Quote from: Laurna on April 13, 2022, 02:03:03 AMThis is what I had read in the Codex and listed under my descendants page:

At the Yule Ball in 1039 she meet a gentleman who was thin, dark, chin-bearded and dressed in grey.  He later said he was an Old friend, AElius Nemo "No One" from Rum.
      On her 20th natal day Rhetice asked her Uncle, King Malcolm for her to wed AElius, "You know that I cannot!" he replied. She disappeared that night never to be seen from again.
      The progeny of the fair lady Rhetice would be the next heirs to the throne of Gwynedd after the families of Nigel Duke of Carthmoor and Richard Late Duke of Carthmoor. (Codex page 210)

That opening has all sorts of possibilities as a ghost story. Aelius Nemo-- revenant or prince of Faerie?

Evie

At first, given the mysterious appearance and disappearance of "AElius Nemo," I wondered if maybe he belonged to some secret Deryni group, like maybe a lay brother of the Anvillers, descended from one of the old Michaeline lay brethren. (I am assuming the Michaelines had lay brothers in addition to the ones in holy orders.) But then the more I thought about the situation, I wondered if maybe he was more like Sigismund in "The King's Deryni," and he had his eye on wedding a Haldane princess in order to get a claim on the Gwyneddan throne through her heirs. If so, then either that plan came to naught because she died in childbirth like poor Xenia did, or else he (and his descendants) are playing the long game and plan to assert their claim to Gwynedd someday if there's ever a crisis in the succession, as might have happened if Kelson had died before siring an heir and Nigel had remained incapacitated. Or it's possible they simply wanted to mix the Haldane bloodline in with their own presumably Deryni blood for some other purpose. In any case, hopefully Rhetice's participation was actually consensual and not due to mind-tampering as Xenia's quite likely was.

Orrrr...thinking back to QFSC and the induced dream that Kelson had so he would sleep with Rhidian thinking she was Rothana, I'm wondering what the purpose of that ritual was and if Rhetice's elopement with the mysterious gray-clad gentleman calling himself "Nemo" might somehow be related. Though I rather doubt it, since when Kelson and Dhugal stumbled upon the Servants of Saint Camber, they seemed too isolated from the outside world to have been able to pull off sending someone to charm a Haldane princess out from her family's court.

BTW, according to the Codex, Rhidian accompanied the other Servants to the new Schola once that was founded, so if she happened to get pregnant during that one-night encounter with Kelson, there might possibly be two little Haldanes (her child and Prince Albin, who would have been conceived around the same time) running around the Schola grounds. Wouldn't that be a shock to Kelson, if he ever finds out?

--WARNING!!!--

revanne

Quote from: DoctorM on April 13, 2022, 06:47:06 PM
Quote from: Laurna on April 13, 2022, 02:03:03 AMThis is what I had read in the Codex and listed under my descendants page:

That opening has all sorts of possibilities as a ghost story. Aelius Nemo-- revenant or prince of Faerie?
Just what I was thinking, Doctor M. it sounded to me as though there is definitely something very sinister going on here - not least in Malcolm's response. Although of course he might just mean "You know I can't because you need to make a dynastic match."

I did also wonder if Feyd's lot had anything to do with this - sounds their sort of thing.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Quote from: Evie on April 14, 2022, 10:27:48 AMBTW, according to the Codex, Rhidian accompanied the other Servants to the new Schola once that was founded, so if she happened to get pregnant during that one-night encounter with Kelson, there might possibly be two little Haldanes (her child and Prince Albin, who would have been conceived around the same time) running around the Schola grounds. Wouldn't that be a shock to Kelson, if he ever finds out?

That is something I always thought too, Evie. I likened Kelson's encounter with Rhidian as similar to  King Arthur's encounter with Morgana and subsequent years later their son Mordred, who ultimately brings about Arthur's demise. It always kind of leaves a sour taste in my mouth when I read Kelson's encounter with Rhidian.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Evie

My worry is that Rhidian might have been trying to breed a sacral king to eventually be sacrificed (hopefully just ritually rather than literally) for the good of the kingdom, like in KK's book "Lammas Night."  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sacred_king for more info about the sacral king/sacrifice concept.

--WARNING!!!--