• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,570
  • Total Topics: 2,733
  • Online today: 99
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 92
Total: 92
Bing
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 27, 2024, 04:01:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

THe Knighting of Liam, Chapter 4

Started by DerynifanK, August 24, 2021, 01:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demercia

Half inched is Cockney rhyming slang, from pinched. As in apples and pears = stairs.
The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

HoundMistress

Ladies, I hope you settle you Kerfluffle about the books amicably.  DFK, I'm thoroughly enjoying this story and look forward to more before too long. I know you have other things to do, and I will be eagerly awaiting the next installment when you have time to work on it. Love the girls! Do you think the Torenthi girls will have brought some bright colored Torenthi gowns to wear to the parties?
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

DesertRose

Quote from: Demercia on August 25, 2021, 03:49:39 PM
I suppose I was thinking of how our mediaeval royalty would communicate with each other across a language barrier using Latin, but that wouldn't help with the Greek basis of Torenthi.

Well, neither Charissa nor Wencit had trouble communicating with Kelson or Alaric or anyone else, so maybe my guesses are totally off.  :D

Also, all of these people are well born and well educated; Kelson, Charissa, and Wencit were all educated expressly to be royal, which would include diplomacy and languages they might need to be able to speak and understand, and Alaric was not only educated but conceived expressly to be the royal champion, so he must also have received a certain amount of diplomatic and linguistic education.

I'd guess that the education goes double for the high clergy; in the real medieval world, clergy tended to be the best educated people to be found, often better than royals.

And Greek and Latin are closer to each other (especially when you're worrying only about fluency, not literacy) than you might think.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Demercia

The light shineth in darkness and the darkness comprehendeth it not.

DesertRose

"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)