• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

April 18, 2024, 02:50:31 PM
Jerusha. Sure can
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,558
  • Total Topics: 2,732
  • Online today: 418
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 367
Total: 367
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 19, 2024, 05:46:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Movie about Mind reading

Started by Lochiel, January 05, 2021, 09:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lochiel

I'm halfway through the movie, I noticed the "scopers" mind share with each other.

The Speed of Thought

"Joshua Lazarus (Nick Stahl) possesses a special gift that enables him to read people's minds, and the government has trained him to use his ability for missions involving national defense, all the while telling him that it will ultimately destroy him -- but will it? When Joshua falls in love with Anna (Mía Maestro), another telepathic "scoper," he and his friend, Kira (Taryn Manning), must find a cure for their gift and expose the lies."

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0847825/
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore

Nezz

One might wonder why you'd want a "cure" for the ability to read minds, but I guess that's part of the story, eh?

DoctorM

I think the thing about mind reading is that you'd have to be able to control it. If you heard everything all the people around you were thinking 24/7,  it would be like hearing a hundred radios on a hundred different stations all at once. You'd be...swamped. You'd have to be able to turn the ability on and off and be able to choose one person/source at a time.

Lochiel

I finished the movie. I liked it. I imagined the "Scopers" were Deryni in a modern setting, which made it much more interesting to me. I do not want to give anything away, but the Scopers call themselves "their people" when they mindshare they can wall off certain memories like the Deryni, they can also manipulate "Normals" (humans) with their Scoper powers especially as their powers grow over time.  The human (normals) who know about them (NSA mostly) are scared of them and if Humans in general knew about them they would also be scared they would abuse their powers which was one of the main points of the CC formation and existence to police and stop that from happening in the Deryni Universe itself.  I wonder if the writers were Deryni fans?
"And as they tread the ruined Isle,
Where rest, at length,
the lord and slave,
They'll wondering ask, how hands so vile,
Could conquer hearts so brave?"
Thomas Moore