• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

Today at 02:27:26 PM
We have 3 characters already for the Forgotten Shadows game. We can have 1 or 2 more.  So if you are interested please post a character soon. If you need assistance in creating a character from a concept reach out to any of the ladies who already have one or myself.
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,608
  • Total Topics: 2,739
  • Online today: 166
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 63
Total: 65
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 12, 2024, 03:18:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Languages

Started by DoctorM, April 14, 2020, 08:36:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorM

Hmmm... A question tonight for anyone of my fellow members out there over the aether...

The Church in Torenth-- whatever is its ecclesiastical language. If the Western Church uses Latin for its ceremonies and rituals and internal communications, what's the equivalent ecclesiastical language in Torenth? What's the equivalent of Old Church Slavonic (or...Greek, maybe)? If there's a Torenthi ordinary tongue, what would the Church tongue be called? Any thoughts?

Most of my books are in storage, so it's not something I can just look up. And for...reasons...I will need to be contrasting Eastern and Western styles and ceremonies...particularly weddings and coronations....

Bynw

I don't currently have access to most of my novel copies either for the same reason. I have them in storage. But if memory serves me correctly the Torenthi Church uses Greek and they also cross themselves, as the stories put it, in the Eastern manner. So it would be slightly different pattern from the Western church of Gwynedd and surrounding areas.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

DoctorM

Thanks!

At the moment I have characters bemused and annoyed at the prospect of having to have two different wedding ceremonies to placate two churches and make sure that potential allies East and West can't question the marriage.

DesertRose

King Kelson's Bride is really the best book in terms of comparing the Torenthi and Gwyneddan churches, and @Bynw already answered the main question; the Torenthi Church uses Greek for its liturgical language (although the language may be called something else in the Eleven Kingdoms).  It does seem that the Gwyneddan church refers to Latin by its real-world name, so you could probably just say "Greek."  It would be easier on readers, too.  :D

I know, vis-a-vis the crossing oneself bit, in the real world, the Western churches go to the left shoulder first and the Orthodox go to the right.

Disclaimer:  I grew up United Methodist.

To me, the Orthodox way makes more sense; between the words that generally go with crossing oneself being "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit" and the part in the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds that goes ". . . [the Son] is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty," it just seems intuitive to start at the head for "the Father," then go to the right for "the Son."  ;)
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DoctorM

Ah, now. Thank you. I have a wedding scene to sketch out, and I've  been pondering rituals and languages.

Laurna

Oh neat!  I love weddings. DoctorM I look forward to reading what you are creating.
May your horses have wings and fly!

DoctorM

Why, thank you! I'm going to try to have it up this weekend.

Shiral

For the Church of Torenth, I believe the Greek and Russian Orthodox Church would be the closest parallel in terms of ritual and "the flavor" of it, if you get my meaning.
Do please keep writing!
Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

DoctorM

Quote from: Shiral on April 20, 2020, 01:47:50 AM
For the Church of Torenth, I believe the Greek and Russian Orthodox Church would be the closest parallel in terms of ritual and "the flavor" of it, if you get my meaning.
Do please keep writing!
Melissa

Thank you! I did use Russian Orthodox ritual in "Rings"--- and I will keep writing!

lenni

Quote from: DesertRose on April 14, 2020, 09:34:46 PM
I know, vis-a-vis the crossing oneself bit, in the real world, the Western churches go to the left shoulder first and the Orthodox go to the right.
<snip>
To me, the Orthodox way makes more sense; between the words that generally go with crossing oneself being "In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit" and the part in the Apostles' and Nicene Creeds that goes ". . . [the Son] is seated at the right hand of God the Father Almighty," it just seems intuitive to start at the head for "the Father," then go to the right for "the Son."  ;)

I'm (Roman) Catholic. The sign of the cross (as we do it) is thus:
<forehead> In the name of the Father
<lower chest/stomach> and of the Son
<left shoulder> and of the Holy
<right shoulder> Spirit. Amen.

Not sure (although I could find out) if the verbiage is the same for the Orthodox. I'm also not sure why there is a difference between which shoulder is touched first.

Kathleen/Lenni