• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 05:34:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 252
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 234
Total: 234
Bing

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

KK Chat -- 12 July 2020

Started by Bynw, July 12, 2020, 07:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bynw

[18:02] * KK (49ab39c5@owirc-khp3ee.mibbit.com) has joined
[18:02] <bynw> hi KK
[18:02] <KK> Hello, all, on a stormy Sunday afternoon/evening.
[18:03] <bynw> not sure where everyone else is today, maybe they are coming soon
[18:03] <derynifank> Hi KK. Wish it was stormy here. Need rain but just HOT
[18:04] <bynw> hey derynifank didnt see you sneak in :)
[18:04] <KK> Well, it's a stormy (or hot) Sunday afternoon/evening.  They'll trickle in.
[18:04] <derynifank> How are things in the mountains KK?
[18:05] <bynw> we had rain yesterday. some parts got hail. others didnt. and some of the hail was pea sized and very minor while other parts got hammmered with golfball sized hail
[18:05] <KK> It was <really> hot here on Friday (95ish and humid) while the poor guys were sanding and varnishing the back porch, but they survived, and the porch looks very good.
[18:05] <derynifank> Rain just keeps missing me. Seems to orefer NE North Carolina
[18:07] * The_Bee (The_Bee@owirc-26p.arb.61.73.IP) has joined
[18:07] <bynw> hi Bee
[18:07] <derynifank> Hi Bee
[18:08] <The_Bee> Hi bynw and all.  Any thing interesting?
[18:08] <KK> Cameron, in Norman OK, had a tree come down right against the right side of his Jeep; also took out the mailbox.  But he hasn't gotten back to me whether there was more than maybe scratched paint, if that.  Didn't appear to be any denting, from what I could see in his photo. Must've been....exciting. 
[18:08] <KK> Hi, Bee.
[18:09] * Jerusha (d169d13c@owirc-fh8.evo.99.167.IP) has joined
[18:09] <The_Bee> Hi KK.  That kind of excitement one could do without.  No one hurt, I hope.
[18:09] <The_Bee> Hi Jerusha
[18:09] <bynw> hi Jerusha
[18:09] <Jerusha> I am here on Kiwi.  Discord seems to be having a bad day.
[18:09] <The_Bee> I like Kiwi
[18:10] <Jerusha> Apparently, Discord does not like my email address.
[18:10] <KK> I don't think they noticed the tree down until this morning; must've thought it was all rain, and maybe some hail thrown in for good measure.
[18:10] <bynw> that's so odd Jerusha
[18:10] <derynifank> Hi Jerusha
[18:10] <Jerusha> Story of my life
[18:10] <KK> Hi, Jerusha.
[18:10] <Jerusha> Hi KK and DFK
[18:11] <bynw> well if odd is the story of your life you are in good company
[18:11] <Jerusha> It's good to fit in
[18:11] <Laurna> Good afternoon everyone
[18:12] <bynw> hi Laurna
[18:12] <KK> How's everybody been?
[18:12] <Laurna> Good here
[18:12] <KK> Hi, Laurna.
[18:12] <Jerusha> Weird, though.  Last time, I don't think Discord asked for my email address.  I just sort of joined
[18:12] <derynifank> Don't think Discord likes anyone any more. I finally gave up on it
[18:12] <Laurna> I like IRCcloud
[18:12] <Jerusha> Hi Laurna.  One more week until vacation?
[18:12] <KK> I've been using Mibbit for the past few months.  Seems to work well, at least so far.
[18:12] <Laurna> Yes Yes Yes
[18:12] <Jerusha> Woo hoo!
[18:12] * bynw is doing great
[18:13] <The_Bee> Good news:  After a 4-month drought of reading material, I was able to pick up sis or seven books from my local library.
[18:13] <Jerusha> Glad to know that, Bynw
[18:13] <Jerusha> Well done, Bee
[18:13] <KK> Laurna, what are you doing for your vacation, constrained as it will be by virus concerns?
[18:13] <Laurna> One more week of work. two weeks vaction, one more day of work then RETIREMENT!
[18:13] <derynifank> Retirement getting closer and then retirement.
[18:13] <Laurna> I am going to start on my kitchen
[18:14] <Jerusha> Back for one day to sign out of everything?
[18:14] <KK> You have to come back for ONE DAY?
[18:15] <Laurna> yep I have to work one day in the last month to get health insurence for that month. because it takes about 3 weeks to get the paper work started. that way I should not be without healthcare.  I hope.
[18:15] <Jerusha> Good plan!
[18:15] <The_Bee> We hope so too.
[18:15] <KK> Understood.  Then, it's well worth coming back for a day.
[18:15] <bynw> Laurna, see PM
[18:16] <bynw> ok that makes sense now why you are coming back for just one day. otherwise why bother
[18:16] <Jerusha> I remember my last day at work.  I had cleared out my cubicle, and it seemed like I had never been there
[18:16] <Laurna> Have to turn in my badge and keys too
[18:17] <Jerusha> "Take my badge and watch me boogie out the door"
[18:17] <Laurna> I am a fixture there 28 years. I kind of start feeling like the old guys on the pirate boat that sunk into the sides of the ship
[18:18] <Laurna> NO MORE
[18:18] <Laurna> HEHE
[18:18] <Jerusha> But your ship is headed for new horizens
[18:18] <KK> When I resigned from LAPD to write fulltime, I was getting checks for nearly 3 months, because of accrued vacation time and then days accrued while I was on vacation.  It was a nice winding-down.
[18:19] <The_Bee> Extra cash is always useful.
[18:19] <Laurna> I have 1500 hours of unused sickleave.  About half of it will be lost. the other half goes on a debit card to be used at any kaiser for anything
[18:19] <KK> Yes.  And money never comes at a bad time.  It may come later than one would like, but I don't think anyone ever complains about money coming early, or at least on time.
[18:20] <Jerusha> At least you don't lose it all.
[18:20] <Laurna> Very true
[18:20] <bynw> wow 1500 hours?
[18:20] <derynifank> It doesn't seem fair that sick time is lost when you retire but that is what happens most places
[18:21] <Jerusha> Yep, mine too
[18:21] <Laurna> yep.  I only every used it once for 5 weeks when I broke my wrist.
[18:21] <derynifank> At least you are getting some of it. When I redtired, my sick time just vanished, like magic
[18:22] <Laurna> sad kind of magic if you ask me
[18:22] <KK> That's a nice Kaiser perk.  I was on Kaiser at LAPD, and converted to a private policy with Kaiser when I left.  It was good insurance, at least in those days. 
[18:22] <The_Bee> When I was fired I got twwo extra weeks' of vacation pay.
[18:22] <bynw> my time off is divided into flex and vacation. if i leave the company or retire (which i'm still a ways off from) the vacation i get to cash out. i lose all the flex
[18:22] <Laurna> I am using up my vacation time at least most of it.
[18:23] <derynifank> Interesting. you got fired and then two extra weeks of vacation pay
[18:23] <bynw> but there's no way we could save up 1500 hours of it. it would be lost before it ever got that high
[18:23] <Laurna> you should get two weeks severance pay.
[18:23] <The_Bee> Well, it was earned but unused vacation time.
[18:24] <derynifank> My company limited how much time you could carry over from year to year
[18:24] <Jerusha> Mine too.  I planned it out to maximize as much as possible
[18:25] <Laurna> The vacation house max at 500 which is where I was at 9 years ago. but I have used it all up now.   the Extended sick leave never maxes out.
[18:25] <Jerusha> When you are not working on the kitchen, you'll have to pet the puppies.  Gosh.
[18:26] <Laurna> Supposed to help with maternaty and long term health issues.
[18:26] <Laurna> They get their petting time. they make sure of that.
[18:26] <Jerusha> Demanding, but so cute
[18:26] <Laurna> Right now they are crashed out on the couch
[18:27] <derynifank> Yay for puppies
[18:27] <Laurna> 104F today
[18:27] <KK> Getting to be BIG puppies.
[18:27] <derynifank> WOW!!!!
[18:27] <Jerusha> We have finally cooled down for a few days
[18:27] <KK> 104?!  Yuck!
[18:27] <Laurna> I made a picture for our story. I would love to share it
[18:28] <KK> Please do.
[18:28] <derynifank> It is a really cool picture
[18:28] <Jerusha> Awesome picture
[18:28] <The_Bee> I was assured that I would not be "involuntarily terminated.  A few months later I was given notice.  I've been on disability ever since.
[18:28] <Laurna> https://usercontent.irccloud-cdn.com/file/DdoHntGw/image.png
[18:28] <derynifank> That sucks
[18:29] <Laurna> I took 8 different images and photo shoped them together
[18:29] <Jerusha> If I tried that, we would be looking at spaghetti
[18:29] <KK> Interesting.  Now I suppose I have to read the story. ;-)
[18:29] <Jerusha> Of course, KK!
[18:29] <Laurna> Not done yet
[18:29] <derynifank> What happened to Bee, not the pucture which I think is great
[18:29] <The_Bee> The picture is beautiful, Laurna.  Are you in it, or were you always behand the camera.
[18:30] <The_Bee> ?
[18:30] <Jerusha> Someday, it will be done.  But not yet!
[18:30] <Laurna> Thats our five main characters in the game
[18:30] <KK> Takes time.
[18:30] <Jerusha> Mine, of course, is the handsome one.  :)
[18:31] <Laurna> LOL
[18:31] <Laurna> For some reason mine is the one needing to be carried
[18:32] <Laurna> I just hope he does not get droped
[18:32] <Jerusha> You did suggest a dice roll for that...
[18:32] <The_Bee> Does the game have  plot?
[18:32] <Laurna> Me? did I say that?
[18:33] <Laurna> I think so
[18:33] <Jerusha> Yep.  And yes, Bee, it has plots, and plots, and plots...
[18:33] <derynifank> It does have plots, more than one
[18:33] <The_Bee> I'm way out of the loop.
[18:34] <Laurna> From Left to right. Fiona, Aliset, Columcil, Washburn, and Darcy( the good looking one)
[18:34] <Jerusha> Yep!
[18:34] <Laurna> lol
[18:34] <Laurna> I had fun playing with the photo shop  so I just had to share it.
[18:34] <The_Bee> Does Washburn often have to be carried around?
[18:34] <Jerusha> You are amazing
[18:35] <KK> Where have I heard the name Washburn before?
[18:35] <Jerusha> Only when Bynw is plotting
[18:35] <Laurna> He was the Pilot in Firefly.
[18:35] <Laurna> that is where I named after.
[18:35] <derynifank> In Alaric's family history. Washburn was an ancester
[18:35] <KK> Ah.  I have the DVD's for that; must get around to watching them one of these days.
[18:36] <Laurna> Oh yes, You must watch Firefly. love those
[18:36] <derynifank> Check out "Coins of Memory" written by Laurna
[18:36] <bynw> i would agree with Laurna. you must watch Firefly
[18:36] <KK> We were in Ireland when that series ran here, and it didn't show in Ireland.
[18:36] <The_Bee> I watched several episodes years ago.
[18:37] <Laurna> I first started writing fanfic just after Firefly. so I kind of use the name for my main character.
[18:37] <derynifank> What is Firefly? Never saw that
[18:37] <The_Bee> Space show.
[18:37] <bynw> i get up for a moment and come back and my desk chair is occupied by bengal
[18:37] <Laurna> You would love it DFK
[18:37] <Laurna> Hello Bengal. kitty. 
[18:37] * Laurna pets the kitty
[18:38] <Jerusha> Then all is right with the world, Bynw (at least for this moment)
[18:38] <derynifank> Will have to see if i can fine it. Was this a series?
[18:38] <bynw> derynifank, Firefly is a short lived (not even a full season) science-fiction TV series ... it's well worth watching
[18:38] <Laurna> only 10 episodes and then a movie called Serenity
[18:38] <derynifank> Maybe the scifi channel will have it
[18:39] <The_Bee> IIRC, the plot was something about refugees from a planetary tyranny.
[18:39] <Laurna> They often do
[18:41] <Laurna> My character Wash is nothing like the Firefly Wash, I only barrowed his name. But it was a starting point.
[18:41] <Laurna> Finding Character names is very hard to do.
[18:41] <KK> I've heard that it's very good.  I probably ought to watch it while all the reruns are dominating cable and broadcast TV.
[18:42] <KK> Collect books on what to name your baby, Laurna.
[18:42] <Laurna> LOL
[18:42] <Laurna> I do not think Alaric is in there.
[18:42] <Laurna> not that I have looked.
[18:42] <KK> Or, these days, google what to name your baby.
[18:42] <The_Bee> I like looking up names for different ethnic groups.  A name's meaning is important to me.
[18:43] <KK> I have several books with names for various ethnicities.
[18:43] <The_Bee> "Alaric" means All-King.
[18:43] <Laurna> Love it
[18:43] <derynifank> There are also lists of celtic names online. Divided into Irish and Scottish and Welsh.
[18:44] <KK> What a wonderful tool is the internet.  Something we didn't have when I started writing the books.
[18:46] <Laurna> Editing must have taken forever
[18:46] <Jerusha> I wonder if any students today understand library research and the card catalogue
[18:46] <The_Bee>  "Morgan" can mean "from the sea."  I've sometimes thought it would be suitable for a refugee from Caeriesse--or a sailor's bastard.
[18:46] <bynw> i have a character naming sourcebook that the writer's digest magazine put out years ago
[18:46] <Laurna> I had not thought of that.
[18:47] <KK> And in those days, we had steam-powered typewriters.  The first 7 books were typed, with manuscript that had to be physically sent to the publishers.
[18:47] <derynifank> What is the title. Would like to see if I can find it
[18:47] <Jerusha> Did you have to keep carbon copies, KK?
[18:47] <Laurna> I have to ask KK. How many times did you type the story out before the final copy was sent to the publishers?
[18:48] <derynifank> And if you made a mistake did you have to retype the whole page
[18:48] <bynw> the book i have is "The Writer's Digest Character-Naming Sourcebook" ISBN 0-89879-632-6. it was published in 1994
[18:48] <derynifank> Thanks
[18:48] <Jerusha> The nightmare of my high school term paper returns...
[18:49] <Laurna> lol
[18:49] <bynw> yes the days of typing before word processors
[18:49] <Laurna> I use to handwrite everything in script. then I would have to type it to turn it in and that took me many days.
[18:49] <KK> Absolutely.  And that was a pain, though they had something called carbon-sets, that were carbons and tissue stuck together, so that loading the typewriter wasn't quite as odious.  The ms. for Lammas Night was the first book for which I was able to type the final copy on a word processor.  An Apple IIe, running WordStar.  Ah, those were the days....
[18:49] <The_Bee> I remember writing term papers by hand.
[18:50] <Jerusha> I remember WordStar!
[18:50] <Laurna> Fun times
[18:52] <KK> Next to final manuscripts in the days before word processing were often literally cut and pasted, and you did the final edit on the final rough by hand, then used the final typing as also a final edit and polish.  So yes, you usually ended up typing the book 3-5 times.  Looking back, I wonder how we did it.  Of course, we knew no other way.
[18:52] <Laurna> KK do you have stories on your shelves that you wrote a long time ago and never did anything with them.  Are they sititng there waiting for their time on the page?
[18:53] <Laurna> WOW
[18:53] <KK> Not whole stories.  Bits and pieces, though, that were too good to throw out but didn't end up fitting where I'd thought I would use them.
[18:54] <Laurna> I like bits and pieces. kind of like seeing the deleted scenes from a movie
[18:54] <KK> Indeed.  Out-takes.
[18:54] <Laurna> Cool
[18:55] <derynifank> @Launa, retirement = more time to write and more stories, yes?
[18:55] <Laurna> maybe
[18:55] <Laurna> kitchen first
[18:55] <The_Bee> and puppies
[18:55] <Laurna> oh yes and puppies.
[18:56] <Jerusha> Why do I have a vision in my brain of Washburn and Darcy doing dishes in your kitchen?
[18:56] <Laurna> I wonder if Sunny would be good at Agility
[18:56] <Laurna> HEHE
[18:56] <derynifank> definitely puppies
[18:56] <KK> You'll be amazed how your time will get eaten up by things you're sure you just have to do, even though you didn't do them before, and they eat into your "writing time."
[18:56] <Jerusha> Yep, yep and yep, KK!
[18:56] <Laurna> Afraid of that
[18:57] <Jerusha> Sometimes you just have to take a day, lock the dust-bunnies in another room  and write
[18:57] <Laurna> Aliset and Fiona will be snickering about the sound of crashing dishes on the floor and the following prevailing curses.
[18:58] <Laurna> seaman's curses
[18:58] <Jerusha> That would be Darcy!
[18:58] <Jerusha> And Father Columcil will be working out the appropriate penances
[18:58] <Laurna> LOL
[19:00] <derynifank> OF course they could ask the ladies if they would like to try carrying a rather heavy knoght
[19:01] <The_Bee> why knought?
[19:01] <The_Bee> knoght
[19:01] <Jerusha> I think that was supposed to be knight
[19:02] <KK> On the other hand, it's nice, when you've finished a book, to be able to tackle a project you've been putting off so that you can get the book done.  When I finished one of the Childe books, I attacked my closet for several days.  Ripped out the awkward and heavy drawers built across one end and installed coated wire racks across instead, for storing boxes 
[19:02] <KK> and tubs of sweaters, etc.  What a difference that made!
[19:02] <Jerusha> Organization is good
[19:04] <derynifank> Rented fingers
[19:04] <KK> Yes.  And I'm discovering the sense of lightness that comes when is seriously culling things and getting rid of stuff.  I certainly don't want Cameron and Anna to go through what I've been doing for past year and more, when I eventually go into the West.
[19:05] <The_Bee> Please don't go West too soon, KK.
[19:05] <Jerusha> Downsizing has its rewards, but it can be quite a task to get through
[19:05] <Laurna> Rather when you come tot he West coast please come visit.
[19:06] <KK> I plan to stick around for a while.  Would like to do at least one more book.
[19:06] <Laurna> I allways type to the as tot he.  I will never get that one correct the first time
[19:07] <Laurna> YES YES YES
[19:07] <Jerusha> More than one, maybe?
[19:07] <KK> You do know that you can put often mistyped words into autocorrect, and then you won't have to worry about that.
[19:07] <derynifank> I want to downsize but I live with a "Colector" who never wants to get rid of anything
[19:08] <derynifank> Collector
[19:08] <Jerusha> Autocorrect is usually not my friend
[19:08] <Jerusha> We are NOT on the same page
[19:08] <Laurna> We all have rented our fingers from the same shady place
[19:08] <Jerusha> Acme finger rentals
[19:09] <KK> Scott was a collector, and Mother was a collector bordering on a hoarder.  Hence, my ongoing weeding and tossing and shredding and hauling stuff to Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, the local Mission, the landfill....  I do try to rehome items that I know could find a new home with like-minded friends.
[19:09] <Laurna> LOL
[19:09] <Laurna> How ever did you move back from Ireland. that would make for an expensive move
[19:10] <KK> I cleaned out my linen closet last week, kept a couple of sets of sheets for each of the two beds I'm keeping, and got rid of other sheets, oddball pillowcases, a few blankets no longer needed--all to the Valley Mission.  I know they can use them.
[19:10] <Jerusha> You used a Portal?
[19:10] <Laurna> AH  now the secret is out!
[19:11] <KK> It was an expensive move.  Fortunately, we'd sold the Irish house for a good price, so we could afford it then.  Brought a dog and 5 cats, too.
[19:11] <The_Bee> Did the animals have  to spend much time in quarantine when you moved from Ireland to Virginia?
[19:11] <Jerusha> Our local Salvation Army thrift store closed, so we have lost a good outlet to pass things on
[19:12] <KK> No quarantine coming back.  Going over, though, our cat had to spend 6 months in quarantine.  Now, serious vet records usually suffice, I believe.
[19:12] <Laurna> wow Six months is an eternity for a cat
[19:12] <The_Bee> I've heard the Brits take quarantine very seriously.
[19:13] <KK> Jerusha, there probably are other places that will accept donations: homeless shelters, Goodwill, Habitat, and the like.  Even if you have to go a few towns away, it could be worthwhile.
[19:13] <bynw> 6 months without the kitty at home is forever
[19:14] <Laurna> agreed
[19:14] <Jerusha> There are a few alternatives, but one place insists all clothing be dry cleaned first!
[19:15] <Jerusha> We will have to look farther afield
[19:15] <Laurna> That would be too expensive
[19:16] <The_Bee> I've beehat animal shelters welcome worn sheets and towels for bedding.
[19:16] <The_Bee> been told that
[19:16] <KK> We were allowed to visit, weekly if we wanted.  In reality, we usually managed once a month.  He was always glad to see us, but after about an hour he would retreat to his kennel and meatloaf with his front paws tucked underneath, with a look that seemed to say, "You have my permission to withdraw now.  Your audience is ended.  Please come again."
[19:17] <The_Bee> Was that Edward?
[19:17] <KK> I've taken a lo9t of stuff to the local SPCA, too.
[19:18] <KK> That was Bear.  He was orange, like Gus.  We had an Edgar, who was a hoot, but lost him about 6 months before we were ready to make the move back.
[19:18] <KK> Edgar was 17, and kidneys were going.  Sad, but he'd had a great life.
[19:19] <The_Bee> I just hope Melantha's one remaining kidney will continue to perform.
[19:20] <KK> Gus is now the last remaining Irish critter; will be 18 in the fall.  Happily, he's still doing well. Doesn't look or act his age.
[19:20] <Jerusha> Scritches for Gus
[19:20] <Laurna> Were the does from Ireland?
[19:20] <Laurna> Doges
[19:20] <Laurna> Dogs
[19:21] <Laurna> my rented fingers are failing
[19:21] <KK> Speaking of Gus, I hear pitiful meows coming from the next room, which means that I must feed the cat.  (One dogs was from Ireland: Oswald, our first half-Basset.  He lived to be nearly 20, and taught Booker and Warner how to be good dogs.)
[19:21] <derynifank> Rented fingers are often unreliable
[19:22] <Laurna> Good Oswald
[19:22] <Jerusha> At least you can turn them back in
[19:22] <KK> Well, we did talk about writing this week.  Hope some of the exchanges were useful for some of you.
[19:22] <bynw> my little bengal kitten is only 14 but we lost her sister at 12
[19:22] <Laurna> Thank you KK
[19:22] <KK> See you all next week, God willing.  I just now go feed Gus.
[19:22] <KK> Ta for now.
[19:22] <Laurna> Good Night KK
[19:22] <bynw> cya KK, thanks for coming!
[19:22] <The_Bee> Are you thinking about writing again, KK?
[19:22] <Laurna> Have a good week
[19:22] <Jerusha> Nighters, KK!  Thanks for coming
[19:22] <bynw> have a great night
[19:23] <derynifank> Have a good week KK
[19:23] <The_Bee> Nighters, KK. Thanks for coming.
[19:23] * KK steps onto her Portal, waves goodnight, and disappears in a shower of green sparkles.
[19:23] <KK> I'm thinking, Bee, but getting the house to market is my first priority right now.
[19:23] <Laurna> Laurna loves bits and peices of stories by the way
[19:24] <KK> Nighters, all.
[19:24] * KK has quit (Quit: https://mibbit.com Online IRC Client)
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com