• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:44:23 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 195
Total: 195
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

The bread I was baking during today's early chat

Started by DesertRose, August 04, 2019, 06:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DesertRose

Quote from: Laurna on August 07, 2019, 03:03:19 AM
Quote from: Shiral on August 06, 2019, 11:43:14 PM
Please pass the honey, too!

;) :)

Oh YES! Honey and butter on hot bread just out of the oven. Forget the knife. Tear off a chunk of the "mess" slab the butter on and add the honey Kelric style. Yep! I am so there.
We use to do this down in Cabo San Lucas. The whole town would gather around the stone ovens and wait in a long line for the bread to come out every morning. We would take our honey and butter with us and eat it right there on the spot. At night the same ovens produced the best pizzas, best pizza crust ever.  Oh now I remember those pizzas. I'm hungry!

Oh, nothing bakes like a stone oven!  Yum!  You name it: bread, pizza, whatever, they're all delicious!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

revanne

Quote from: DesertRose on August 05, 2019, 08:55:20 AM
Quote from: revanne on August 05, 2019, 03:15:39 AM
Looks wonderful. And thanks for providing the translations.
Quote from: Demercia on August 05, 2019, 07:01:34 AM
Thanks DR! I need to have a go at this. 

You're welcome!  I'm gradually adding the metric equivalents to all of my recipes (I have enough friends overseas with whom I share recipes, and honestly, IMO, metric makes more sense than imperial anyway), and my mom has become addicted to the Great British Baking Show, so she and I have spent a fairish amount of time figuring out the "divided by a common language" cooking/baking equivalent terms.

We are technically metric but most Brits - though possibly not the youngest of the younger generation - in true British style use a mixture of both. My scales allow me to weigh in either but I can't think in metric so...

Me following a recipe:

The recipe says 200 grammes -so 1 pound is 454 grammes, so half of that is 227, so 200 grammes is half a pound minus a bit and something... I'm going mad trying to do mental arithmetic in my head and the recipe says whatever needs to be added while the mixture is still warm, so "oh just shove it in and hope for the best!!"

My biggest problem is cups which do seem to vary depending on what conversion chart you use. I have a set but they are in our cottage, a two hour drive away from the Vicarage so of limited use if I am cooking here.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)