• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

Bynw

Today at 10:39:40 AM
We are moving closer to the time when the casting call will be opened for players in the upcoming game "Forgotten Shadows" the sequel to "Ghosts of the Past" ... any one thinking about joining?
Members
  • Total Members: 174
  • Latest: Brion
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,556
  • Total Topics: 2,731
  • Online today: 67
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 49
Total: 49
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

April 18, 2024, 11:10:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Camino de Santiago

Started by revanne, May 15, 2019, 01:15:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

revanne

So I am finally fulfilling a long held dream and walking part of this ancient pilgrimage route to Santiago de Compostela in northern Spain. It's supposedly the burial place of the Apostle James Saint James being Sant'Iago in Spanish). You have to walk the last 100 kilometres (62 miles) to get a certificate and we are hoping to do slightly more in a week. Pilgrim badge acquired from the Pilgrim office in Santiago. The pilgrimage route nearly died out in the 20th century but has seen a massive resurgence with a quarter of a million people walking part of it annually.
God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
(Psalm 46 v1)

DerynifanK

Hope you have a wonderful time and return restored and refreshed.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

Jerusha

Very awesome, revanne.  I hope the trip exceeds all of your expectations and leaves you with many memories to treasure.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DesertRose

I'm not sure I've expressed how totally freaking amazing I think it is that you're doing this!  As an amateur historian of medieval Europe, I'm fascinated by pilgrimages in general and particularly modern iterations of pilgrimage routes.

I hope you find the experience full of wonder and knowledge and discovery, and I hope you'll share more pics with us.  I love the pilgrim's badge!
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

Laurna

I will repeat what everyone else has said. Have a wonderful time and a great pilgrimage. Do you have hostilities to stay at along the pilgrimage path? Are there specific foods to eat and historic places to pass by? Please share pictures.
May your horses have wings and fly!

revanne

Beautiful old church at start of our walk.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Jerusha

Oh my, revanne!  So beautiful in its simplicity.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DerynifanK

LOVE your pictures. Hope you have a lovely time. Beautiful  church.
"Thanks be to God there are still, as there always have been and always will be, more good men than evil in this world, and their cause will prevail." Brother Cadfael's Penance

HoundMistress

May good fortune smile on you during your walk and may God bless you at the end.
Judy Ward
You can buy a pretty good dog with money but you can't buy the wag of its tail.

revanne

To answer Laurna there are pilgrim hostels - cheap but clean and I suspect a lot better than the facilities Columcil would have known. Also Pilgrim menus of good simple food - so tonight I had a salad, fish and chips and almond cake for 10 Euros. Very reasonable.
Today's walk is probably the longest at 16 miles. Please send Duncan to massage my feet.
(Psalm 46 v1)

revanne

It's very well signposted.
(Psalm 46 v1)

Laurna

Good to hear about the accommodations and food. I do hope your long walk to day was a pleasant journey without any foot soreness.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Jerusha

I'm sure Bishop Duncan will be happy to help with any foot soreness.  I think he would be happy to be with you on this journey in spirit.  :)

-- Old English Litany

DerynifanK

I'M sure Duncan and Columcil  are with you in spirit on this very special journey . Actually, Fiona and Aliset would lover to have such an adventure . You are an example.  So wonderful to fulfill your dream.

revanne

To stay in the hostels you need to buy a pilgrim passport at the beginning and these can be stamped in hostels and churches. At the end as long as you have walked 100 kms (63 miles) you can get a certificate. We will have done 75 miles.
(Psalm 46 v1)