• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 05:18:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 108
Total: 108
Google (2)
Bing (2)

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Haldane Artifacts

Started by JediMatt1000, October 03, 2019, 10:03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JediMatt1000

Would anybody be able to kindly provide a list of the Artifacts used by the Haldanes to bestow potential/abilities? I know if the Eye of Rom, but thought there was also a brooch and a ring and an ear-ring; but wasn't sure which one was the Eye of Rom. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Matt
"Be the change you wish to see."

Shiral

The Eye of Rom is a ruby earring the reigning king wears in his right ear.  The Crimson Lion is a heavy cloak clasp with the Haldane Arms on the front. Brion devised Kelson's power ritual so that he had to plunge the sharp end of the cloak pin through his left hand, the pain evidently intended to act as a trigger for the assumption of powers. In The Bastard Prince, we see Rhys Michael, in a moment of desperation, use the lion brooch's pin in the same way. Rhys Michael uses the cloak clasp to leave instructions for Michaela, although she and Owain only have to drive the pin through the webbing between the palm and thumb of  both their hands. The power ritual changes from generation to generation, but I'm sure using the pin was often, if not always, part of the power assumption ritual.

The Ring of Fire, I THINK, is part of the royal regalia as far as humans know, so there is no controversy about the king wearing it in public. It might bet the King's Coronation Ring, and probably is, but I'm not completely sure.

And yes, the Haldanes love red.

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

JediMatt1000

Thank you so very much Melissa! You've been a big help!
Matt

Shiral

You're welcome! Addendum, I believe the Eye of Rom is a pretty essential and fixed part of the power ritual. Brion was buried wearing it, and Kelson, Morgan and Duncan were willing to go to the Royal Crypt to get it back, because--or at least they believed--nothing else would do. That is not perhaps completely accurate. In Quest for Saint Camber, the Eye of Rom is believed lost with Kelson. Morgan mentions that this is doubly unfortunate, but they use a replacement jeweled earring that they believe will work in the way the Eye of Rom worked.

When Conall "assumed" the Haldane powers in the ritual in Nigel's bedroom because everyone believes Kelson is dead and Nigel won't survive, Morgan and Duncan believe the ritual was successful, but also felt things were a bit "off." Which they were, because Conall already HAD the powers, but they thought they were bestowing them on a fully human Haldane. And Conall had assumed them outside the Kingship and very much without the knowledge and consent of either Kelson and Nigel. Either or both those factors could have made the ritual feel strange.  I also recall that Conall had to use the pin of the Haldane brooch as the trigger during that ceremony.
Melissa

Laurna

In reading the Bastard Prince, I got the impression that Rhys Michael bestowed much of the ritual magic that had been done in prior power assumptions directly into the Lion Broach itself. Thereby the deep rituals completed by Camber and then later by Joram were not as necessary as that magic was bestowed directly into the Lion Broach for generations to come. I believe the Lion Broach is a necessity unless the Deryni bestowing the Haldane Power goes back to the full ritual that Camber completed.

I personally believe that the Eye of Rom and the Ring of Fire are essential to consecrating the responsibility and the commitment of new Haldane King to God, to the thrown, and to the people of Gwynedd. This is my own speculation, of course. But the Eye of Rom represents the Heavens and the ring represents the kingdom. Given the right circumstances a descendant to the Haldane's could gain the Haldane Powers, but without the Haldane Artifacts, I don't believe that person would be bolstered by the powers of the eye and the ring to be the rightful king of Gwynedd.   As we see in Conall.

It is a good thing that Kelson was not lost in the caverns under the water fall. And, indeed, for the future generations, it was a very good thing that the Eye of Rom was not lost all together.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Marilyn

Hmmm.  Now I have to go back and reread The Bastard Prince all over again.  Anybody feeling sorry for me?   ;D
Maryse

Shiral

Well, not very sorry, Maryse. =o)

Melissa

JediMatt1000

The Bastard Prince was one of my favorite books of that series. Enjoy!