• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 28, 2024, 06:31:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 180
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 33
Total: 33
Google

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

is anyone working on canon stories in the Deryni world?

Started by Lvirden, September 17, 2021, 02:13:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lvirden

I am certain you have been very busy but I was wondering if anyone had ever contacted you regarding the idea of publishing fiction written in the Deryni world?
Even if it was just collecting short stories etc that you might have written but never published, and even if it were only in ebook form, it would be great to have new material.

Shiral

Hi Lvirden,

Welcome to the Forum. In reference to your question, no, nobody has done that. You'd really have to have Katherine's permission to do anything like that,  since the Deryni Universe is very much her intellectual property. She has a very generous and gracious attitude about allowing us to write fan fiction in her universe, but strictly on a non-professional basis without any money changing hands. Even in that context, she encourages fanfic authors to feature secondary characters in their stories. Trying to get Deryni-based fiction professionally published without Katherine's permission and that of her publisher would NOT be a good idea, legally, or personally. It's very important to Play Nice.

The good news is, about 20 years ago, Katherine and Ace Books did publish an anthology of Fanfiction short stories, Deryni Tales which included an original short story of her own. She hopes to issue a new fan-written anthology including a new original story of her own in the near future, but I don't believe she's made any final decisions about which stories she'll be including. (And I don't expect it will be available until next year at the earliest.)
I hope that answers your question!

Melissa
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Laurna

First there is a logistical problem with the word publishing.

I do not know the legal ramifications, but please keep in mind Katherine Kurtz holds full copyright to all her written creations. She has stated that the Deryni belong to her and no one can publish stories in her worlds without her approval, for the means of sale or earning money. 
KK has been generous and allowed us to play in her sandbox, as we like to say.  We may write to our hearts content fan fiction stories, so long as it falls within her guidelines. You may see that in full here:
https://www.rhemuthcastle.com/index.php?topic=1860.0
She has asked that  we do not use characters created by Katherine Kurtz in a manner she has not used them herself  and the forum administrators have asked for No erotic based stories

Now that said, it is also true that KK in the past has herself agreed to publish fan fiction stories that she has enjoyed.  We can find those in the Deryni Archives book and the fan magazine. Currently KK is considering publishing a new set of Deryni archive short stories for the 50th anniversary anthology. She said she would like to take some of the stories from the fan fiction section of this form. Therefore, if you are interested in posting your stories that fall within the forum guidelines please consider talking to the administration here, Bynw or Desert Rose; they can approve your stories for posting.
It is always fun to see new writers.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Drianax

So does that mean that there will not be any Deryni full length books coming out at all ( like the 948 book)?

Laurna

KK is currently working on 1025, the battle of KillingFord, which she plans to name The Road to Killingford. She has told us in previous chats that she has an outline of the new novel and that she has made a full list of characters. The trouble is the world was not kind to her in 2019 and it was not kind to any of us in 2020 and 2021. With hope, life will settle down and she will be able to turn her energy back to the new novel. At the same time, her publisher has agreed to consider an Anthology. So here is to hoping that both books will happen.
948 at this time is not in the works that I am aware of. but one never knows the future.

I am going to apologize to Lvirden, as I had not realized that when responding  to your question that you were directing your question directly to KK. I should have noticed what subject heading this topic was under.  I, in error, thought you were speaking to all the members of KK's fan club. We would be happy to forward your question  and Drianax's inquiry directly to KK at the next Sunday chat. Again I am sorry for the misunderstanding.
May your horses have wings and fly!

Shiral

Apologies for my part as well. I thought it was a general question for the forum. The fact does remain that any full length, professionally published Deryni novels will be written by Katherine Kurtz herself.
You can have a sound mind in a healthy body--Or you can be a nanonovelist!

Drianax

Quote from: Laurna on September 18, 2021, 12:17:08 PM
KK is currently working on 1025, the battle of KillingFord, which she plans to name The Road to Killingford. She has told us in previous chats that she has an outline of the new novel and that she has made a full list of characters. The trouble is the world was not kind to her in 2019 and it was not kind to any of us in 2020 and 2021. With hope, life will settle down and she will be able to turn her energy back to the new novel. At the same time, her publisher has agreed to consider an Anthology. So here is to hoping that both books will happen.
948 at this time is not in the works that I am aware of. but one never knows the future.

I am going to apologize to Lvirden, as I had not realized that when responding  to your question that you were directing your question directly to KK. I should have noticed what subject heading this topic was under.  I, in error, thought you were speaking to all the members of KK's fan club. We would be happy to forward your question  and Drianax's inquiry directly to KK at the next Sunday chat. Again I am sorry for the misunderstanding.

I apologize for placing that inquiry in a (probably) incorrect topic, but hadn't had my coffee yet, so brain death has occurred.

Lvirden

So I was not asking my question meaning I wanted to write new stories. I just love the work already written and was wishing for more exciting stories by Ms. Kurtz.