• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Latest Shout

revanne

Today at 07:49:27 AM
Congrartulations Marc
Members
  • Total Members: 175
  • Latest: CathyAj
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,626
  • Total Topics: 2,741
  • Online today: 470
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 160
Total: 161
JudithR
Google
Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

May 15, 2024, 03:38:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Offensive Deryni Powers

Started by JediMatt1000, January 01, 2019, 12:56:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorM

Quote from: Nezz on December 04, 2021, 12:33:19 AM
Quote from: DoctorM on December 03, 2021, 10:58:47 PM

Thanks, Laurna! That is very helpful! I have a scene to build out of this!

Oh yeah, looking forward to this! :)

I'm hopeful that it'll be done and up before Christmas!

Bynw

Adding my 2 cents back into this thread. From my recollection of various Wards and Duels fought and mentioned through out the Deryni books. Outsiders cannot clearly see inside the Warded area. Nor can they hear what happens inside the Warded area. That is why there are rooms protected with Wards.

What we see during a Duel Arcane in the form of fantastic spells and images is for the benefit of a good read and what the participants are doing to one another. What they are seeing in the mind's eye during the combat.

Remember that Kelson's 4 way duel with Wencit and company was watched by the Camberian Council. Also Warded in an outer Ward of their own. But the councilors couldnt see what happened with the poison because the Ward prevented a clear view and a clear passing of sound.

Now from my gamer perspective.

They participants can make their Ward as clear as they like it to be. Allow whatever sounds they want to pass through. Or even air for that matter.
President pro tempore of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Fan Club
IRC Administrator of #Deryni_Destinations
Discord Administrator of The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz Discord
Administrator https://www.rhemuthcastle.com

DoctorM

Quote from: Bynw on December 04, 2021, 12:35:54 PM

Adding my 2 cents back into this thread. From my recollection of various Wards and Duels fought and mentioned through out the Deryni books. Outsiders cannot clearly see inside the Warded area. Nor can they hear what happens inside the Warded area. That is why there are rooms protected with Wards.

What we see during a Duel Arcane in the form of fantastic spells and images is for the benefit of a good read and what the participants are doing to one another. What they are seeing in the mind's eye during the combat.

Remember that Kelson's 4 way duel with Wencit and company was watched by the Camberian Council. Also Warded in an outer Ward of their own. But the councilors couldnt see what happened with the poison because the Ward prevented a clear view and a clear passing of sound.

Now from my gamer perspective.

They participants can make their Ward as clear as they like it to be. Allow whatever sounds they want to pass through. Or even air for that matter.

Thank you! Appreciated!

Jerusha

Looking forward to  your next scene, Doctor M!  Seems like there could be mayhem.
From ghoulies and ghosties and long-leggity beasties and things that go bump in the night...good Lord deliver us!

-- Old English Litany

DoctorM

Quote from: Jerusha on December 04, 2021, 03:47:24 PM
Looking forward to  your next scene, Doctor M!  Seems like there could be mayhem.

There is that possibility!

whitelaughter

Ariella tries to use offensive magic in her last great battle, but has it either bounce of the defences of the Michaelines or does as much damage to her own side as to the enemy, so gives up and focuses on improving morale by being seen.
It's likely that a third reason for wards during a duel arcane is to make it easier to let rip with the really impressive spells, things that simply aren't practical during a battle due to fog of war etc.