• Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz.

Recent

Welcome to The Worlds of Katherine Kurtz. Please login.

March 29, 2024, 04:17:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 27,486
  • Total Topics: 2,721
  • Online today: 243
  • Online ever: 930
  • (January 20, 2020, 11:58:07 AM)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 202
Total: 202

Latest Shout

DerynifanK

March 17, 2024, 03:48:44 PM
Happy St Patrick's Day. Enjoy the one day of the year when the whole world is Irish.

Technology

Started by DoctorM, July 02, 2022, 09:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorM

I'm recalling that in the prologue to 'Camber of Culdi', there's mention that in Camber's day there were Deryni or Deryni-assisted technologies that had been lost by Kelson's day, but while the text seems to suggest that it's building/construction technology that's being discussed, no examples are given. Does anyone else recall technology in the novels that's "ahead" of European technology c. 1350?

I recall from 'High Deryni' that one lord (Bran Coris, I think) has a telescope and is very proud of it. Does anyone else remember that? The telescope (IIRC) appears in Europe just after 1600... And I'd like to have one appear in own stories.

DesertRose

The most significant example I can think of, in terms of building technologies, that exists in Camber's day but has been lost by Kelson's is Camber's rotating Portal; Portals in general can be constructed only by Deryni (although humans can help by offering their energy as a boost for the operant{s}), and that specific Portal appears itself to be an older advancement that Camber rediscovered (possibly in the Protocols of Orin or related writings).

There are a number of clothing fashions that appear in the Deryni-verse far earlier than the equivalent fashions appeared in real-world history.

And IIRC, the Rhafallia (sp?) (Morgan's/Corwyn's flagship) has some sort of sailing tech that doesn't appear in real-world Europe until a good deal later than the 1100s.
"If having a soul means being able to feel love, loyalty, and gratitude, then animals are better off than a lot of humans."

James Herriot (James Alfred "Alfie" Wight), when a human client asked him if animals have souls.  (I don't remember in which book the story originally appeared.)

DoctorM

Thank you!

Quote from: DesertRose on July 03, 2022, 02:25:44 AMThe most significant example I can think of, in terms of building technologies, that exists in Camber's day but has been lost by Kelson's is Camber's rotating Portal; Portals in general can be constructed only by Deryni (although humans can help by offering their energy as a boost for the operant), and that specific Portal appears itself to be an older advancement that Camber rediscovered (possibly in the Protocols of Orin or related writings).

There are a number of clothing fashions that appear in the Deryni-verse far earlier than the equivalent fashions appeared in real-world history.

And IIRC, the Rhafallia (sp?) (Morgan's/Corwyn's flagship) has some sort of sailing tech that doesn't appear in real-world Europe until a good deal later than the 1100s.

Evie

The buildings in general appears to be built to a later standard than existed in our history. Glazed windows and proper fireplaces with chimneys are commonplace, and families aren't sharing a single bedchamber in the solar with the Servants bedding down on pallets in the same room or in the Hall. So where domestic arrangements are concerned, they are more Renaissance or even slightly later, with perhaps late medieval architecture.
"In necessariis unitas, in non-necessariis libertas, in utrisque caritas."

--WARNING!!!--
I have a vocabulary in excess of 75,000 words, and I'm not afraid to use it!

drakensis

Rhemuth castle, in Kelson's reign, has corridors... which weren't a feature of palaces in our history until the 1600s!

Nezz

Quote from: drakensis on July 04, 2022, 01:55:26 AM...has corridors... which weren't a feature of palaces in our history until the 1600s!

I didn't know that! Good to know for the castles in my own story. :)